Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see a lot of post about upgrading the stereo on the Indians. I had a 15 Roadmaster that I had to upgrade took it to the shop dropped it off. Few days later I went to pick it up and to my surprise I had an amp in the saddle bag not what I was wanting but was told there was no room under the fairing. Well I travel I use my saddle bags along with the trunk, and this amp cause problems for one a pain in the ass to take the bag off and another had to keep shit from touching the amp because yes it did get hot and had to keep air flowing. Pretty much made the saddle bag useless other than for smalls. I traded it in for a 19 Roadmaster and I decided no more I went with the upgraded stereo on it speaker lids, new speakers for fairing and tour pack. It came at a costly price but sounds good can hear it at 90 mph so I’m happy with it.
I recently picked up a 18 chieftain limited and my wheels began to turn. I needed more sound. But refused to do an amp in the saddle bag. So her is what I did. I’ve got a Memphis amp behind the windshield motor,I have a Rockford Dsr1 mounted beside the windshield gear and a sound digital amp mounted where the factory amp was installed. I’m pushing a 1000 watts to a set of jl audio 8.8 speakers in the lids and a pair of Ds18 5.25 speakers in the fairing. Yes it is crowded yes my windshield still goes up and down and yes it jams. I’m wishing I would have went this route on the Roadmaster because I’m in it for about half of the cost of the Indian upgraded stereo and it’s at least twice as good probably more. But with some time and effort it can be done. And I also was able to do it without cutting any factory wires in less than a day I could have the stock system back in it

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Awesome! I’ve been wanting to upgrade my tunes but wasn’t sure what options were out there. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Definitely need to clean up some of those wires and personally I'm not a fan of T-taps or those type of splices, they also aren't weather resistant at all, would definitely suggest at least a heat shrink connector. Other than that good idea. I have something like this planned for a future build with some new amps. I bought a tour pack from dirty bird and used that space for my audio equipment. 3k watts
20200304_214423.jpg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well there are no t connectors on anything I add everything I did is soldered and heat shrink

·
Registered
388 Posts
well there are no t connectors on anything I add everything I did is soldered and heat shrink
I was referring to these. The quick splice connectors. Definitely aren't oem and aren't water resistant whatsoever. Just trying to look out for you if you get water in there which is very possible
20200324_184113.jpg

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to each there own on the tour pack full of amps but pretty tough to fit any luggage in there if your purpose of a bike is for stereo shows yea that's great but I didn't get a bagger to haul stereo equipment around my bags have rain gear and leathers in them and cloths when I travel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yes those are there they were actually on the bike when I bought it previous owner put amazon lights on it and they wouldn't plug into the factory plugs but like I said everything I did on the stereo is soldered and heat shrinked

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im running a sound processor and from that im running 1 amp to the front speakers and running 1 amp to the rear speakers
Definitely need to clean up some of those wires and personally I'm not a fan of T-taps or those type of splices, they also aren't weather resistant at all, would definitely suggest at least a heat shrink connector. Other than that good idea. I have something like this planned for a future build with some new amps. I bought a tour pack from dirty bird and used that space for my audio equipment. 3k watts View attachment 581600
yea he did a dam nice job on this build but its more for shows im guessing. I know he went to FL for bike week I haven't heard how it went but I do know he lost his front fender on the way down and wadded it up pretty good.

·
Registered
388 Posts
im running a sound processor and from that im running 1 amp to the front speakers and running 1 amp to the rear speakers

yea he did a dam nice job on this build but its more for shows im guessing. I know he went to FL for bike week I haven't heard how it went but I do know he lost his front fender on the way down and wadded it up pretty good.
I'm actually a local. Live near Daytona beach. Curious what makes you think it's more for show? Besides just making it look good. I ride the hell of out it

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well why I think it more for shows? Its hard to do much traveling when the bags are filled with speakers the tour pack with amps it makes it hard to pack rain gear luggage cloths stuff like that. I am by no means knocking it at all, I like what has been done I like the fact that someone is showing that Harleys aint the only one on the block. I do wish there were more options for the Indians as far as stereo. I think so many feel that stock is all they can do because of room in the fairing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
well why I think it more for shows? Its hard to do much traveling when the bags are filled with speakers the tour pack with amps it makes it hard to pack rain gear luggage cloths stuff like that. I am by no means knocking it at all, I like what has been done I like the fact that someone is showing that Harleys aint the only one on the block. I do wish there were more options for the Indians as far as stereo. I think so many feel that stock is all they can do because of room in the fairing.
So no joke. I've never carried rain gear. Either l get wet or I stop. Also I still have the ability to pack a few days worth of clothes if need be. But yes this isnt and was never meant to be a cross country bike. Interstate bike maybe. I have hoped some state lines here and there. Also, for the record, I have several disabilities that make it extremely painful to ride hundreds of miles, days on end. I can do 300-400 in a day and that's about where I draw the line. The whole initial reason for the air ride was to help me move the bike easier without it being at stock height

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive got 2 that I don't ride very far my body has seen better days as well. I traded my street glide for the chieftain because it beat me to death even with air ride on it.ive wandered how much better the ride would be on the Indians with air ride. I do ok once I get on them but have had both hips replaced and it cause me grief throwing a leg over. ive thought if it was 2 3 inches lower it would make all the difference in the world but I don't want to change the ride on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
ive got 2 that I don't ride very far my body has seen better days as well. I traded my street glide for the chieftain because it beat me to death even with air ride on it.ive wandered how much better the ride would be on the Indians with air ride. I do ok once I get on them but have had both hips replaced and it cause me grief throwing a leg over. ive thought if it was 2 3 inches lower it would make all the difference in the world but I don't want to change the ride on the bike.
It definitely helps me get on and off. Also I have to get on and off from the right side due to my particular problems

1 - 17 of 17 Posts