Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Super Chief Limited (Red)
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided tonight to update the ride command software. I haven't been out for a ride (too cold where I am) but I played around with it in the garage.

See the attached pictures. Are you supposed to be able to pick USA? I hit the drop down to see the list and n
Sports equipment Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Vehicle Communication Device

othing happens for me when I hit any of these countries. Is that supposed to be how it works?

Thanks.

Camera lens Communication Device Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gadget

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the Country is for Map updates.
I installed just the Ride Command update and I'm downloading the map update to my computer. The "globe" had a question mark on it before I entered the screen I put a picture of. Whatever this is for, it won't let me actually select anything. I assume USA is active but I am not sure based on it having a question mark and it won't let me actually select any country.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I installed just the Ride Command update and I'm downloading the map update to my computer. The "globe" had a question mark on it before I entered the screen I put a picture of. Whatever this is for, it won't let me actually select anything. I assume USA is active but I am not sure based on it having a question mark and it won't let me actually select any country.
I believe you select the Country / region to download from the Ride Command options on their site. Polaris sends a link to your email addressed based on the Country / Region you requested on the Maps/download site. After downloading the file from their provided link via email, the rest is done automatically from the file requested.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe you select the Country / region to download from the Ride Command options on their site. Polaris sends a link to your email addressed based on the Country / Region you requested on the Maps/download site. After downloading the file from their provided link via email, the rest is done automatically from the file requested.
Thanks for the note. I guess I don't understand why me updating the ride command made the question mark start appearing on the globe with this drop down when I haven't done anything with the maps.

I did download the maps update like you noted with the email being sent to me after picking the region. Unfortunately, I found that my thumb drives are not large enough to hold the file so I'm ordering one off the net.

I've actually gone back to using my Garmin given I had so many issues trying to use the Ride Command GPS but I would like to remove that question mark. Will try the map update after I get the thumb drive. Thanks!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks for the note. I guess I don't understand why me updating the ride command made the question mark start appearing on the globe with this drop down when I haven't done anything with the maps.

I did download the maps update like you noted with the email being sent to me after picking the region. Unfortunately, I found that my thumb drives are not large enough to hold the file so I'm ordering one off the net.

I've actually gone back to using my Garmin given I had so many issues trying to use the Ride Command GPS but I would like to remove that question mark. Will try the map update after I get the thumb drive. Thanks!
Yeah, the Map Update is a 24.5 Gb file. My Internet speed is pretty good here and it still took quite a while to download the file at 12.5Mb/sec. Not too long to transfer the file to the thumb drive. I think the battery charger will be working OT to get the battery back up to 100% after the bike finishes loading the file. Took all of 35 minutes to update the maps on the bike. No noticible change to GPS, but I didn't really expect to see anything noticible.

Hate that I won't be able to ride for quite a while. Buffalo is 5 hours West of me. They've gotten 4 feet of snow in the last 28 hours with more falling now.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the Map Update is a 24.5 Gb file. My Internet speed is pretty good here and it still took quite a while to download the file at 12.5Mb/sec. Not too long to transfer the file to the thumb drive. I think the battery charger will be working OT to get the battery back up to 100% after the bike finishes loading the file.
Hate that I won't be able to ride for quite a while. Buffalo is 5 hours West of me. They've gotten 4 feet of snow in the last 28 hours with more to come.
My internet in this rural area is terrible but I let it run overnight to download the map.

For grins, I emailed Indian/Polaris about 15 minutes ago with the pictures about this region selection. Impressively, they wrote back in about 10 minutes with this response, so I guess it's not normal right now.

I never updated the map and can't but I'll try to re-install the update and will do the map when I can.

Thank you for contacting Indian Motorcycle.

Please do 2 things to try and rectify this issue, first, reinstall the update on the vehicle. Second reinstall the map update to see if this yields an improvement.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the Map Update is a 24.5 Gb file. My Internet speed is pretty good here and it still took quite a while to download the file at 12.5Mb/sec. Not too long to transfer the file to the thumb drive. I think the battery charger will be working OT to get the battery back up to 100% after the bike finishes loading the file. Took all of 35 minutes to update the maps on the bike. No noticible change to GPS, but I didn't really expect to see anything noticible.

Hate that I won't be able to ride for quite a while. Buffalo is 5 hours West of me. They've gotten 4 feet of snow in the last 28 hours with more falling now.
I installed the map update tonight and the same thing is happening as before. When I go into search, the globe has a question mark. When I click on the globe, it has two drop down sections. Both I can drop down and see countries, but if I try to pick US or any other country, nothing happens. Do you have that after the update?

Also, now that I've done the map update, it does "loading navigation" for close to 4 minutes. Once it pops up, if I try to move the map around with my finger, it goes back to "loading navigation" and I end up giving up.

So far, the Indian response is to tell me to keep doing the same thing (re-install) which doesn't seem to be getting me further along.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
I installed the map update tonight and the same thing is happening as before. When I go into search, the globe has a question mark. When I click on the globe, it has two drop down sections. Both I can drop down and see countries, but if I try to pick US or any other country, nothing happens. Do you have that after the update?

Also, now that I've done the map update, it does "loading navigation" for close to 4 minutes. Once it pops up, if I try to move the map around with my finger, it goes back to "loading navigation" and I end up giving up.

So far, the Indian response is to tell me to keep doing the same thing (re-install) which doesn't seem to be getting me further along.
I don't have that step. I'd suggest you contact Indian / Polaris support if you can't find an answer on their FAQ section.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have that step. I'd suggest you contact Indian / Polaris support if you can't find an answer on their FAQ section.
10-4.

I've been in touch with Polaris already. Response back twice has been to simply re-install. I'm up to a 4th re-install on Ride Command and doing my 2nd on the map. Going to do both now again and see if anything different comes out of it.

Vehicle Camera accessory Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive design

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I would try generating a fresh key and downloading a new map on a clean thumbdrive. The last time I had any type of issue with the map update installer, it was a corrupted download that was fucking it all up.

Reactions: PeacePipe

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would try generating a fresh key and downloading a new map on a clean thumbdrive. The last time I had any type of issue with the map update installer, it was a corrupted download that was fucking it all up.
10-4. The one thing I haven't tried is to download the fresh key. I will do that this morning. I just re-installed from the original key and the same thing. I get a question mark on the globe and the map itself says "loading navigation" for a long time and if I move the map with my finger after it loads it revers to loading again.

Indian is mailing a fresh copy by USPS but I'll try downloading a fresh key in the meantime. Thank you!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update. I've spent a ton of time re-downloading from a fresh key and re-installing maps. It's just not seeming to work. As before, it keeps reading "loading navigation" and sometimes blinks back to a map but eventually gets stuck back on Loading Navigation. Also, the left trigger to navigate through the screens often gets stuck on the maps screen with Loading Navigation and I have to use the touch screen to move it off of it.

I've updated the firmware on Ride Command and I've noticed it still says "update software" on the menu like in the pic even after the update is installed. When I click on it, it says software is current.

I'll see if whatever Indian is sending me will help.

The bike now has a recall so maybe the dealer will install these updates. I haven't had great experience with my local dealer (one hour away) but we'll see. Thanks.

Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Font Motor vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts