Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pair of Reinhart slip-ons for my 2019 Chief. When I opened the box I noticed that one of them has a sort of “loose gravel” noise that’s prominent when you tilt the pipe from upside down to right side up and vice versa, it sounds as if the “loose gravel” travels down the length of the pipe. Has anyone had this issue before? And if so what would be your guidance? Thank you in advance

·
Bronze member
4,460 Posts
I purchased a pair of Reinhart slip-ons for my 2019 Chief. When I opened the box I noticed that one of them has a sort of “loose gravel” noise that’s prominent when you tilt the pipe from upside down to right side up and vice versa, it sounds as if the “loose gravel” travels down the length of the pipe. Has anyone had this issue before? And if so what would be your guidance? Thank you in advance
probably some leftover metal debris from welding. Had several pipes like this in the past. Didn’t affect performance or operation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Baron, thank you for your reply. Just a follow up question, in the past I have always taken my machines to the dealer/shop to have the aftermarket slip-ons installed. But give that my local shops are closed due to the world situation now i was thinking of attempting to install them myself. Will this “loose gravel” sound go away after install? Or is there something I need to do prior to installing them to get rid of the noise? Thank you again for your time!

·
Bronze member
4,460 Posts
Hey Baron, thank you for your reply. Just a follow up question, in the past I have always taken my machines to the dealer/shop to have the aftermarket slip-ons installed. But give that my local shops are closed due to the world situation now i was thinking of attempting to install them myself. Will this “loose gravel” sound go away after install? Or is there something I need to do prior to installing them to get rid of the noise? Thank you again for your time!

The last slip ons I had recently were American Customs where they take the factory mufflers and add custom baffles. They both had the "loose gravel" inside them. But when Installed on the bike, you didn't hear any of that. In fact I forgot about it until I removed them and put the Rinehart's on. Pretty easy to do, many YouTube videos out there on it if you want to see how people do it.

·
Bronze member
2,127 Posts
My buddy had a set of Reinhart pipes on his HD. It had a rattle in one that drove him nuts. He lived with it for a year before visiting the Reinhart truck at a rally here in Milwaukee. It turned out to be a loose baffle.
Don’t count on it going away or being able to live with it. It’s easier to deal with it before installing them.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your response Dave, the noise I’m hearing is more of a “loose gravel“ sound as opposed to a rattling… I’m planning on installing the pipes this weekend and see what happens. Worst case scenario I can go back to the stock pipes

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
My buddy had a set of Reinhart pipes on his HD. It had a rattle in one that drove him nuts. He lived with it for a year before visiting the Reinhart truck at a rally here in Milwaukee. It turned out to be a loose baffle.
Don’t count on it going away or being able to live with it. It’s easier to deal with it before installing them.
Just my two cents.
I totally agree. While they are off, just check if baffles are tight. I had a little sound coming from my pipes. Turns out, one of the nuts had vibrated loose and a washer was just spinning making an irritating noise. Tighten up - gone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the install on the Rinehart pipes, if there is a sound I can’t hear anymore. I did call the technicians at Rinehart and they told me it was more than likely leftover material from the powder coating process. Thanks again for all the responses, Ride safe!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts