Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I am and am waiting on getting the scout to take some measurements. Leatherup and Chilhowee Motorcycle Leather have saddlebags, there are probably others as well to check out.

Reactions: aln.brown

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
After market bags will save you money, custom bags not so much. Many of the post on here will talk about leather companies. Look at some of the different treads

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm checking out Viking Lamellar Leather covered hard bags once they make them for the Scout. Something like

Viking Lamellar Leather Covered Shock Cutout Hard Saddlebag
Like the looks of their bags and the price is nice - did a live chat with them just now - they don't offer the Scout bags yet - the rep though the chief classic ones might fit. They also don't have tan leather yet but time will tell.. here is the link their sales rep gave me: Indian Chief Classic Saddlebags. Original Hard and Leather Bags

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
If for sure will find something to my liking for less than the 1,000 dollar bags offered by Polaris .. Know a few Good Leather/Upholstery shops in my area that if was going to pay High Dollar would rather contribute to a Local supplier who perhaps might be able to offer this to the public after my initial investment .. Those Viking Bags Look like a good option for the price ..

·
Registered
206 Posts
I checked out that Viking place that SDBobbyt mentioned.
These bags are pretty darn close to matching the seat color of the Scout.
They don't have any in stock right now, but the guy (David) says they will have them in 3 to 5 months. I can wait that long. They are not expensive at all, they lock, and they come with mounting hardware. They will pretty much fit anything.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I'm checking out Viking Lamellar Leather covered hard bags once they make them for the Scout.
I have Indian bags ordered. If they can't have them on the bike when I take delivery, then screw them. they are coming off the invoice. I cannot ride without at the very least a rack. Rain and snow today, for instance. Where do I tote the rain suit? Where do I tote my lunch bag? I suggested to Hernley he should arrange at least some kinda rack. He does not seem to have the least bit of Aethiopian Engineering in him. Just sounded baffled. Some people, if it isn't in a catalog with a part number, they are lost.

Time to improvise adapt and overcome.

I talked with Viking yesterday about these Lamellars. From their description of how these things mount, I just don't see where it matters at all whether they are made specifically for the Scout or not. Two brackets each side. Each bracket has a six inch pipe for bag support. Each bracket is kinda inverted L shaped, with the mounting bolt going thru the length of the short leg of the L and the long leg going downwards is the support, bolted to the bag. Each bracket just needs one bolt to mount. Two holes each side are already provided in the Scout fender for that. So that part is easy. All we have to do is clear the pipes. Here is the key: You drill your own holes in the saddlebag inner wall for the long downward leg of the bracket. That will make it easy to adjust height to what you need.

Not as pretty. Third of the price. Far more weatherproof. Locks. End of story.

Prolly get black.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I have Indian bags ordered. If they can't have them on the bike when I take delivery, then screw them. they are coming off the invoice. I cannot ride without at the very least a rack. Rain and snow today, for instance. Where do I tote the rain suit? Where do I tote my lunch bag? I suggested to Hernley he should arrange at least some kinda rack. He does not seem to have the least bit of Aethiopian Engineering in him. Just sounded baffled. Some people, if it isn't in a catalog with a part number, they are lost.

I talked with Viking yesterday about these Lamellars. From their description of how these things mount, I just don't see where it matters at all whether they are made specifically for the Scout or not. Two brackets each side. Each bracket has a six inch pipe for bag support. Each bracket is kinda inverted L shaped, with the mounting bolt going thru the length of the short leg of the L and the long leg going downwards is the support, bolted to the bag. Each bracket just needs one bolt to mount. Two holes each side are already provided in the Scout fender for that. So that part is easy. All we have to do is clear the pipes. Here is the key: You drill your own holes in the saddlebag inner wall for the long downward leg of the bracket. That will make it easy to adjust height to what you need.

Prolly get black.
Check pipes clearance. Ours seem big and tall.

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Prolly get black.
Spoke with Indian engineer at the Long Beach Progressive Show. Was told that a fender rack for the solo seat will be available shortly, whatever shortly means?.

Another thought to consider; I had quality custom dark brown leather bags made for my Aero from one source, and a few months later a custom dark brown leather saddle from another source, both products serve me well. On the outset they matched really well appearing to be a set, but about eight months down the road there is a very significant color change as the saddle lightened to a point that the leather as a set no longer has the look I was originally going for; it's okay, but not what I wanted. I will live with it as I'm selling the bike anyway. Point is you might start out thinking a Scout saddle and after market bags are a close match saving you big bucks, but as they are two different leathers/dyes etc. Chances are they will weather differently, and so I'm not sure I would be happy with the outcome with it down the road. Considering what I'm paying for the bike, I'll bite the bullet and go the extra bucks for what I agree are way overpriced saddlebags.

Meggie, you lookin good on that bike.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Spoke with Indian engineer at the Long Beach Progressive Show. Was told that a fender rack for the solo seat will be available shortly, whatever shortly means?...
If their current rate of delivery on accessories is any indication, we should see something in about, oh, say, March or April. Of 2017...

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I'm wanting a rear top rack to go with solo stock seat and a small leather bag above the headlight. Those might allow enough storage size for everyday riding. I'm going to see what happens with the exhaust offerings before buying saddle bags.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Until I get saddlebags, I will be using my old magnetic tank bag that was used on my sportbikes.

What are your guys' and gals' thoughts about fender luggage rack along with saddlebags? I know this is for a Star Bolt, but check this fender rack: Star Yamaha Accessories Rear Fender Rack - Yamaha Bolt Models ('14-newer)
Just need to figure out how to get something like this mounted to the Scout.

Looks pretty good here, so if I installed removable bags it would look like this.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Until I get saddlebags, I will be using my old magnetic tank bag that was used on my sportbikes.

What are your guys' and gals' thoughts about fender luggage rack along with saddlebags? I know this is for a Star Bolt, but check this fender rack: Star Yamaha Accessories Rear Fender Rack - Yamaha Bolt Models ('14-newer)
Just need to figure out how to get something like this mounted to the Scout.

Looks pretty good here, so if I installed removable bags it would look like this.
Spoke with Indian engineer at the Long Beach Progressive Show. Was told that a fender rack for the solo seat will be available shortly. I currently have a rack and bags which work well for me. I will wait to see what Indian comes up with, been waiting this long, whats another two, three, six months.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Spoke with Indian engineer at the Long Beach Progressive Show. Was told that a fender rack for the solo seat will be available shortly. I currently have a rack and bags which work well for me. I will wait to see what Indian comes up with, been waiting this long, whats another two, three, six months.
AGONY;)

1 - 20 of 395 Posts