Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this thread is directly related to the "No Start when Fuel Low" thread. Has anyone actually installed an after market fuel gauge on their Sixty? I looked around on the web (for about 30 seconds) and both JC Whitney and J & P Cycles offer gauges.

If so, what did you purchase, how hard/easy was it to install and, most importantly, would you provide a picture of the finished product?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose that you would need to install a sensor between the tank and the fuel injectors that can measure the pressure of the fuel as it flows into the injectors. The meter / gauge would then have to be linked to the sensor. Once that link is complete, you'd then need to calibrate the sensor so that it can make sense of the pressure reading.

Given the level of customization that I've read about on this listserv I was hoping that someone had attempted to add a gauge.

·
Silver member
4,714 Posts
I suppose that you would need to install a sensor between the tank and the fuel injectors that can measure the pressure of the fuel as it flows into the injectors. The meter / gauge would then have to be linked to the sensor. Once that link is complete, you'd then need to calibrate the sensor so that it can make sense of the pressure reading.

Given the level of customization that I've read about on this listserv I was hoping that someone had attempted to add a gauge.
The fuel pump is a constant pressure type. You would need to install a float level sensor in the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, this thread is directly related to the "No Start when Fuel Low" thread. Has anyone actually installed an after market fuel gauge on their Sixty? I looked around on the web (for about 30 seconds) and both JC Whitney and J & P Cycles offer gauges.

If so, what did you purchase, how hard/easy was it to install and, most importantly, would you provide a picture of the finished product?
Use your trip meter. Works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar question. I have a 2003 Scout Deluxe. Who makes a float sensor and gauge unit that drops into the tank? Or do I have to get a new tank?

·
Registered
563 Posts

I've wondered the same thing. Once the low fuel light comes on, it usually means I'm OUT of gas and I'm probably not going to be able to restart it...my wife's 60 is the same way.

I've just learned to top it off and refuel at 100 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts