Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rider
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with this Aeromach Floorboard relocation kit CI-3027.
https://www.aeromachmfg.com/product_p/ci-3027.htm
It's supposed to work on chief, Vintage with factory bars.

They have another kit (CI-3026) that is also compatible with the bars, but only lowers one level (0.5 down and 0.75 forward). But the CI-3027 is able to move boards 2 levels.

Any input about ease of install, caveats, technical tips, things to consider before purchase/install, potential downside (other than lean angle)...etc.

I greatly appreciate any input.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,644 Posts
I used the kit on my 2015 Chieftain that has 3 levels but only the middle one works with the factory highway bars, so it worked out to being two levels.

·
Rider
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I'm overwhelmed with all the replies, and feedback, thank you all :(

Anyway, I just went ahead and ordered them.

·
Rider
784 Posts
Wow, I'm overwhelmed with all the replies, and feedback, thank you all :(

Anyway, I just went ahead and ordered them.
You won’t regret it. I’m 6’6” and the relocation made all the difference in the world in my riding comfort. I’ve never had them drag in corners. My dealer did the installation while I was having other service work done and they charged me for an hour of labor which I thought was fair.

·
Rider
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You won’t regret it. I’m 6’6” and the relocation made all the difference in the world in my riding comfort. I’ve never had then drag in corners. My dealer did the installation while I was having other service work done and they charged me for an hour of labor which I thought was fair.
Thanks TallRider. I'm 5'11-6' (depending on the day), so wasn't sure if it was worth it, but I always felt the boards were high, definitely higher than my KM Indian. I hope I'll be able to install them.

·
Rider
784 Posts
Thanks TallRider. I'm 5'11-6' (depending on the day), so wasn't sure if it was worth it, but I always felt the boards were high, definitely higher than my KM Indian. I hope I'll be able to install them.
The Polaris placements of the floorboards on the Vintage are definitely higher than both the Gilroy and Kings Mountain Chiefs. The highway bars get moved forward too, so if you have highway bar pegs they will move forward with the bars.

·
Rider
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Polaris placements of the floorboards on the Vintage are definitely higher than both the Gilroy and Kings Mountain Chiefs. The highway bars get moved forward too, so if you have highway bar pegs they will move forward with the bars.
Do I need to move the highway bars on the vintage? Kit is supposed to be compatible with the bars.

·
Rider
816 Posts
I bought mine a couple years ago before they offered a kit to install them at the lower position. Install was pretty straight forward. I later removed the front crash bar to take advantage of second position. I’m very happy with them.

·
Rider
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought mine a couple years ago before they offered a kit to install them at the lower position. Install was pretty straight forward. I later removed the front crash bar to take advantage of second position. I’m very happy with them.
How tall are you, if you don't me asking. At ~ 6' I'm wondering whether to lower them at the first position (0.5") or by second (1 7/8")

·
Rider
784 Posts
Do I need to move the highway bars on the vintage? Kit is supposed to be compatible with the bars.
The highway bars get connected to the Aeromach lowering kit as well and the bottom of the highway bars will be moved forward. You don't need to take the highway bars off, but I think you'll have to loosen the top bolt on the upper section in the middle of the bars to have enough play to allow them to move. Their instructions should provide all the detail you'll need.

Another members photo . . . you can see where the bottom of the highway bar attaches . . .

With controls mounted . . .

·
Rider
816 Posts
The highway bars get connected to the Aeromach lowering kit as well and the bottom of the highway bars will be moved forward. You don't need to take the highway bars off, but I think you'll have to loosen the top bolt on the upper section in the middle of the bars to have enough play to allow them to move. Their instructions should provide all the detail you'll need.

Another members photo . . . you can see where the bottom of the highway bar attaches . . .

With controls mounted . . .

Would have liked to have had that option when I bought mine. I may buy a set of the updated mounts and reinstall my crash bars. Have to clear it with the CFO first though.

·
Rider
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed them today. Was fairly uneventful but took about 2 hour, did them while bike upright on the wheeldock. Wife helped hold the right sided board/brake for a couple of minutes. Probably could've done it faster, but I wanted to take my time and make sure I don't eff something up (as usual).

Just took it for a ride, and holy cow, it feels like a whole different bike, much more comfortable leg position, more relaxed riding position, easier handling.

I highly recommend them to anyone on the fence.

·
Rider
784 Posts
Installed them today. Was fairly uneventful but took about 2 hour, did them while bike upright on the wheeldock. Wife helped hold the right sided board/brake for a couple of minutes. Probably could've done it faster, but I wanted to take my time and make sure I don't eff something up (as usual).

Just took it for a ride, and holy cow, it feels like a whole different bike, much more comfortable leg position, more relaxed riding position, easier handling.

I highly recommend them to anyone on the fence.
Good on ya FE!

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
I got that set while I stopped at Sin City Indian for a service while on the road. That was last year, and I have no regrets. I wish I had done it sooner. I do scrape, but rarely, and I'm usually putting the screws to it when it happens. It did move the engine bar forward a bit, and I adjusted my infinity pegs to follow suit, but it's not noticeable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts