Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am sure this has been covered on here somewhere...so feel free to berate me for asking. I just purchased a 2018 Scout Sixty and the first thing I am doing is replacing the exhaust with the Bassani 2 into 1 (in the process of installing now). I was also debating putting the Trask high flow air filter on it. If I'm replacing both of these is it going to be necessary to also install the power commander or something similar? I'd rather not spend the $300+ on the Dynojet if it's not necessarily going to make that much of a difference in performance.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,920 Posts
If you replace both the exhaust and intake with hi-flow units you will need more fuel. The bike will run too lean and can cause damage. Power Command is one option but is expensive and requires you to get the correct settings or MAP. This can be difficult since not every combination is out there. Another option is using the Dobeck EJK fuel computer. LINL: http://www.indianaftermarket.com/fuel-management.html It is less expensive ($250) and you make the adjustments yourself. It is easy and I or Dobeck can help you. I also recommend the Screaming Scout intake. LINK: http://www.indianaftermarket.com/screaming-scout-intake.html It offers a slightly better flow for $150 over the Trask. But regardless of brand you can replace exhaust OR intake without a fuel computer but once you replace both you need it. Also, you will not notice much power increase until you do all three then it is a big increase. Enjoy.

·
Bronze member
1,895 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but,.......
The bikes have F.I. with O2 sensors making this a closed loop (feedback) system.
A closed loop system automatically adjusts itself in terms of temperature, altitude, barametric, and other variables.
My understanding is that the Dobeck EJK requires that the O2 sensors are disabled, thus making the F.I. an open loop system. And the installation requires the fuel tank removal as well as breaking into the factory harnesses to install ancillary disabling components for the exhaust and ignition timing.
And the unit must be installed in an already crowded space under the seat, complicating the battery servicing.
I researched and found that the Dyno Jet Power Vision (PVCX) is not a piggy back unit, but a unit that allows for a new custom program to be installed into the ECU that doesn't disable any sensors and allows for full closed loop operation. It may be a bit more in price but, in terms of installation, and ease of ECU program installation, the price differential seems very negligible at best.

·
Bronze member
1,441 Posts
I considered a piggyback unit too, ( because of my non tech computer skills) but ended up buying the PVCX from Fuel Moto. They even walked me through the install ( really pretty easy) plus you now have support for life, the unit is also a code reader/ diagnostic unit, and if you change combinations of intakes/ exhaust Fuel Moto will E- mail you a new program.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts