Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chief was running like a charm and suddenly in July it started sputter when I run at low throttle. It seems to accelerate and run at higher throttle fine. So far I have verified the timing. I have replaced the ignition wires. I don't think it's electrical. I have pulled the carb and checked the jet and made sure it was clean. I tightened the intake manifold nuts. The problem persists. I just had the engine stroked and have put less than 1000 miles on it. It starts fine. It just has the annoying sputter at low throttle.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Points ignition? If so replace the condenser and gap them again. It's been said that 90% of carb problems are electrical and vice versa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The points and the ignition are new. It was completely rewired with a new wiring harness. I I could check the gap in the points.My thinking is that if it is only sputtering at low throttle it's probably not electrical.

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
Make sure your float isn't hanging up or you do not have a small leak in the intake, when the carb is off use an adapter to seal the manifold and put pressure to it and make sure it isn't leaking anywhere.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In my experience, an intake leak makes the bike almost impossible to start WHEN HOT.
Cold start seems unaffected. I've had one of the intake nuts loosen itself twice now over the years, and this was my first symptom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts