Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 Vintage that is currently stock engine wise. I am a fan of the classic look over performance to a point. I'd like to do a moderate upgrade engine tune with some particular goals in mind and hope this community can provide direct comments to specific items to aid my decision.

Intake:
I like the look of the circular high flow air intake but the Wimmer seems more appealing. Several dealers I spoke to have stated that the direct intake is better suited for the bike if mileage appeals to me more then looks. However, I would rather have a rechargeable filter then one that needs to be replaced.

Engine:
I'm leaning toward the stage 2 cam rather then the higher performance loyds or the BBK. Somewhat cost based but ultimately I'm the intent is to increase power, decrease engine temps, and improve bike mileage. Maybe I'm wrong but from this perspective I feel this is a good upgrade for my intent. I am not interested in replacing springs or pushing the engine to a point that reliability is a concern.

Exhaust:
This one I am struggling with the most. I absolutely love the idea of Rinehart full system header and pipe package. I have two specific concerns neither of which are in regard to legality of this system on the bike so keep moving if you feel the need to lecture on that.
  • First: I want to run with quiet baffles most of the time but they only make them for HD. I was told that I can add dampening to the Indian version baffles by using 4 stroke muffler packing. Has anyone done this? If so how many db can I decrease and what amount of packing should be used? Will packing the baffle cause my headers to overheat and crack? Any other thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.
  • Second: I want to use Fish tail tips to achieve that classic look but the tips sold by Indain do not fit on the Rinehart without modifications. Anyone know if there is a fish tail tip on the open market that does fit the Rinehart?
What engine tuning issues might I face and how can I mitigate poor performance with this type of setup?

As a final note I'd like to increase top end speed at lower RPM without getting into transmission mods or extreme changes. In a previous bike it was possible to change the size of my belt pulley wheel. This gave me less of the line speed but at 80 mph the lower RPM offered better fuel economy for dessert runs.

I appreciate honest answers from those that have first hand knowledge on any of the topics above.

I realize this is a lot to unpack and thank the forum members for any input and support you can provide.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
Engine Mods - I have a PVCX to optimize the engine, but no cams or big bore. The bike just doesn’t need it.
Intake - Made my own K&N intake system. Do a search and you can find it here. $60 instead of $500.
Exhaust - Freedom True Dual headers and stock slip-one with the plugs punched out.
Gear Change - No one makes a larger countershaft pulley or smaller rear wheel pulley yet.

I have 72,000 miles on my Chieftain in this configuration. Absolutely no problems and I’m taking off today for Hot Springs, AR from Florida. I ride everywhere...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I’d definitely start with a dyno jet PVCX. Make the best of whatever combo you choose. My buddy has a road glide with full rhinheart system. It’s really not very loud. Maybe you can just buy the header and use Indian stage one muffles with it?

llyodz offers an air cleaner that uses the stock 111 air cleaner cover. As for cams stage 2 won’t give much power bump. I’ve been running 558 cams with stock springs for about 13000 mile now with no issues. They do give a nice power bump and are very mild.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,918 Posts
You may have other reasons to change the headers but the stock Indian headers are well designed. You won't see much performance increase with new headers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts