Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm looking for some feedback on the Chieftan, I haven't got a dealership in my area so I haven't been able to demo this beautiful bike... My main question relates to the fairing - does it cause any helmet buffeting?? I almost bought a HD street glide at the beginning of this year, but even with the vent in the fairing the buffeting was really annoying. Is the Chieftan fairing give a "smooth" flow of air, or is there still some minor turbulence? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Apologies for not introducing myself, been lurking for a while, I forgot this was my first post! I'm from Australia and have been mainly riding the other American Brand for the past 15 years until I saw the Chieftan. It would be really nice to buy a bike and not have to spend $5000 making it perform properly. Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Adam, I'm 6'2" and leave the visor up on my helmet while riding. Been on the highway cruising 80/90 mph with no issues. Personally I feel the shield is a little to tall. Plan on putting a shorty shield on soon. I will tell you this, I've been riding HD's for many years and still have my 03 Fat Boy and I love riding again. Just over 700 miles on my 2015 Chieftain and being stock I'm impressed every time I ride her. Good luck and " no worries mate"

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with satmdv I'm only 5'11, I love my new chieftain, I have an 08 fxdc in the garage but have been spending more time on my new Indian, with the windshield all the way up on the freeway at 90 I get no turbulence, I lower it if I want a little wind in the face at lower speeds, hope this helps.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
I run my windshield much the same as chitchat. Up for high speed and down when I'm moving slower to get more air to my face. I don't run a visor on my helmet, just good riding glasses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like this fairing / windshield combo works well if there is no turbulence at highway speeds. That was my main concern about this bike.

How do you guys like the fairing/screen being so up close and in your face? Is it something you just get used to? I've never owned a bike with a fairing and it looks like I won't get to test the bike for a demo ride until they open an Indian dealership here in the west in 12 months time.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run my windshield much the same as chitchat. Up for high speed and down when I'm moving slower to get more air to my face. I don't run a visor on my helmet, just good riding glasses.
Hey Dan / ChitChat, so at highway speeds with the shield up you are looking through the shield? Or over it?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hello, I'm looking for some feedback on the Chieftan, I haven't got a dealership in my area so I haven't been able to demo this beautiful bike... My main question relates to the fairing - does it cause any helmet buffeting?? I almost bought a HD street glide at the beginning of this year, but even with the vent in the fairing the buffeting was really annoying. Is the Chieftan fairing give a "smooth" flow of air, or is there still some minor turbulence? Thanks.
You might want to read my post.

http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/fo...9-putting-my-chieftain-through-her-paces.html

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am 6'2" also i changed the windshield to a 7jurock 14" shield. My seat to a Corbin. 2" further back and 1" inch higher. Perfect combo for me

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Chieftain Review

Hey Adam. I bought a Chieftain in july and i do not find any wind buffeting at all. I have had my baby doin 140kms with no concerns! The ride is smooth. The windshield at its highest position gives lots of protection. When i ride at a slower pace i drop it down 4 inches and then i do notice the wind! But that is what i was looking for. You will not go wrong with the Chieftain, should you decide to pick one up!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ok I am a chieftain owner for 5 months now, I have experienced helmet buffeting in strong crosswinds, but in those conditions no bike could prevent that. I am 5'8" but long in the torso. I have a hard time looking over the windshield down, but all the way up it's fine. I am thinking of switching to Roadmaster windshield as I liked it better. And down I can see over it np. In fact I just plain like the Roadmaster altogether better. If you can ride them both back to back and make your own decision. Cheers mate

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I have read in several articles that when developing the Chieftain, that it was well designed and went through rigorous wind tunnel testing. After riding mine for a year (nearly), I believe they have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like the fairing does a good job, but I'm not sure I want to look through the windshield to get better wind protection. I'm 5'9" and with the shield in the up position I'd be looking through it.

I really need a good test ride to make up my mind.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have riden Pheonix with the windshield all the way up in the rain and cold with no problems. I mostly ride with it all the way down also with no problems. One thing I have noticed when I ride to work I have to show a badge to get in the gate. I usually get it out befor I get to the gate. On my ultra when I did this my badge would blow all over. Not on my Chieftain. I have not tried to wear a ballcap at highway speeds yet that may be my next expierment.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like the fairing does a good job, but I'm not sure I want to look through the windshield to get better wind protection. I'm 5'9" and with the shield in the up position I'd be looking through it.

I really need a good test ride to make up my mind.
I am about 5 9 and found with windshield down I was looking through the top edge. Up I didn't like distortion but went with new windshield from dealer designed by Brian klock.... Great choice . I look over it but with side ears and flip it pushes air over and around. Much bett windshield than stock.. I also like flatter top and indian logo. Semper fi

1 - 20 of 37 Posts