Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...new to the forum...thanks in advance for any wisdom you can shed on this topic. I am considering purchasing a 2000 Indian Chief Millenium edition. Gorgeous bike, love the 24.5 inch seat height (inseam challenged), and the looks are to die for...however, been reading some scary reviews online really tearing up the Indian Chief (the review do not specify the "millennium edition") - regulator issues, brake issues, windshield issues, floorboard scraping issues - but worse - rear shock fail/collapse and handlebar riser fail issues causing crash. I also tracked recalls online that hot on most of these complaints but again, only state Indian Chief and not specifically stating the "millennium edition" which I was under the impression only 250 were made.

So...I am hoping to get some REAL reviews from you folks on this bike. Is there a big difference between the 2000 Indian Chief and the Indian Chief Millenium edition? Any feedback on the bike itself and these "reports?"

I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.
w

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Although I prefer THIS forum, there are other forums more conducive to other Indian makes (Millennium, Gilroy, Kings Mountain, etc)
I find the Indian Motorcycle Community to be loaded with pre-Polaris information on Indians.

I also find the Chief Motorcycle Forum excellent for technical information. Many members here are on this forum as well.

This forum is great and I have planted my boots here, primarily, but do review the others regularly. After all, it is about the information, inspiration, love and passion of Indian motorcycles!

·
Founding member
950 Posts
Like anything used and 15 years old. It could have some issues. Parts are easy to find for S&S. KBB lists value at $11,300 Don't hear too much bad about Gilroy's. This from a guy that rides a notorious AMF Shovelhead. It's all about the price. Some complaints like scrapping floorboards or loose windshield sound petty. shocks can be upgraded.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We've had a Gillroy Chief in the family for several years. Other than some electrical demons (from previous owner) it hasn't had any real issues. I would recommend an upgrade to the rear suspension if you do any 2-up.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I had a 2000 Millennium model that I traded for my 2015 Vintage. The only differences in the Mill and other 2000's were the seat/bag and backrest color and the paint colors that were supposedly picked by Peter Fonda. I loved the bike but there were a few updates to correct some issues. As Quinn mentioned, the Indian Motorcycle Community forum has lots and lots of info for these bikes. After I did the updates the bike was very reliable and I don't think there's a better looking ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts