Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick preface. I have a Victory Octane. Tire size is 130/70/18 and 160/70/17. With the odd size up front, it limits the availability of good tires and totally eliminates going to a radial.

I'm looking to move from a 130 to a 120. This opens up a bunch more options and actually gives me access to the tire I want.

My question is; does the lose of 10mm going to the 120 make a difference in hard cornering? I push my octane to the limits in the corners, even changed the pegs out to reduce scraping. I came from sport bikes and have hundreds of track days in my 21 years of riding.

I'm currently using every inch of the 130 and my fear is with the 120 I essentially have less rubber on the road, so the risk of lowside is greater. Yes or no?

The lean angle on the Octane is 32. My old track bike running a 120 up front and 180 in rear was over 50 degrees. But I'm sure it's not so cut and dry.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,057 Posts
It could if ya pushed the machine too hard thru corners cause ya have less rubber [traction] contacting the road,[120 is narrower then a 130] especially,when on a wet road.So it depends on how hard ya ride it thru corners.But then again,I'm not a tire expert either.I can only give ya an opinion based on what I've seen from doing alittle accident reconstruction work.So see what others have to say about it!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could if ya pushed the machine too hard thru corners cause ya have less rubber [traction] contacting the road,[120 is narrower then a 130] especially,when on a wet road.So it depends on how hard ya ride it thru corners.But then again,I'm not a tire expert either.I can only give ya an opinion based on what I've seen from doing alittle accident reconstruction work.So see what others have to say about it!!
Thanks for the response!

Seems to be a hard question since one can answer it scientifically.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts