Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
KHAOS
2019 Pearl White & Star Silver Roadmaster
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done the AdMore Lightbar install on a 2019 or 2020 RM? I bought the LED, the Indian specific harness and the blue-tooth adapter for the mobile app. It all seemed so simple. I mounted the LED, connected the supplied harness and I got NOTHING (DEAD).
If I connect a battery directly to the red and black wires of the LED it lights up just fine. As soon as I connect the Indian adapter wiring to the LED harness it will NOT illuminate.
With that said, when I connect meter to the red power wire on the adapter it has 12v. I have contacted AdMore but so far they have not been able to discern the cause of the problem.
AdMore is wondering if the 2019/2020 RM wiring harness is somehow different than the previous year harnesses; thus my question has anyone with a newer bike used AdMore's Indian adapter?

Totally stumped on where these connectors go under the seat. I've attached pics on what I got from them (plug and play kit) and what I have under the seat of my 20RM. 20200321_100813.jpg 20200321_101233.jpg

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I unfortunately don’t know the answer to your issue. I checked the part number for the wiring harness but they’re different for every year I looked at.

My only suggestion is you’ve verified the power source is supplying power and you’ve verified the light works. It must be something between the plug and where ever you tested the light. Maybe a pin is loose and getting pushed back when you make the plug connection. Maybe a wire isn’t fully crimped to a pin and the connection isn’t good enough.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone done the AdMore Lightbar install on a 2019 or 2020 RM? I bought the LED, the Indian specific harness and the blue-tooth adapter for the mobile app. It all seemed so simple. I mounted the LED, connected the supplied harness and I got NOTHING (DEAD).
If I connect a battery directly to the red and black wires of the LED it lights up just fine. As soon as I connect the Indian adapter wiring to the LED harness it will NOT illuminate.
With that said, when I connect meter to the red power wire on the adapter it has 12v. I have contacted AdMore but so far they have not been able to discern the cause of the problem.
AdMore is wondering if the 2019/2020 RM wiring harness is somehow different than the previous year harnesses; thus my question has anyone with a newer bike used AdMore's Indian adapter?
Mine is a 2017 and it wasn't exactly easy, but it got done. Mine was somewhat complicated due to the Custom Dynamics for other lights on the same circuit, but it finished fine.

·
KHAOS
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After much consternation, I have resolved my issue with the AdMore lightbar. I have found that the 2019 Indian Roadmaster has a different wiring harness than previous Roadmasters. The connector for power is now part of the seat harness but it is not using the same connector size that had been used on previous year Roadmasters. The AdMore harness for Indian will have to be modified for 2019 and beyond. I will try to put together some pics later on when I have the project complete.
Thanks to all that gave me their input and suggestions. I would also like to thank the AdMore support department (a gentleman named Dave) worked with me for two days trying to troubleshoot the problem. I highly recommend the AdMore Lightbar and the AdMore company.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I got this from AdMore today... They seem to be on top of things. Kudos for them!

'Thank you for your recent order. We are writing to you as we note that you have a 2020 Roadmaster (congrats!). We have recently learned that Indian made a slight change to the power connector under the seat starting with the 2019 model. Everything you ordered (including the plug-n-play adapter) will still work on your bike with the exception that one of the 2-pin connectors will not fit. As a result the red and black wires at that connector will need to be tapped. We will include two premium wire tap connectors with your order to make this easy (should take you 2-3 minutes to tap these two wires).'

·
KHAOS
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are very aware, but you really do not need to tap the wires at all. The AdMore connector fits into the Indian harness connector, it just does not latch. I connected them and put duct tape around the connector to secure it.
Hope this helps.

IMG_0478 2.jpeg
These are the connectors under the RM seat. The small one with the red wire is the one you need to connect the AdMore harness to for power.

IMG_0495.jpeg
This photo is my connection to that connector from the AdMore harness. It fits but does NOT latch.

IMG_0504.jpeg
This pic is the bottom of the seat before disconnecting it.

IMG_0511.jpeg
This is the same Indian connector disconnected.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, they cut off that connector in my kit that I got in February of this year (just got two wires coming out of the kit main connector and included two posi-taps). Is that connector for seat heat? And if so, looks like they are picking up power and ground from that. Assuming you're using the older (still attached connector with the kit). For those that have the connector I'm also assuming that needs to be disconnected to remove the seat. For my installation, it looks as though that's going to be a pain in the butt to remove the seat (having to unscrew posi-taps).

You know, the more I delve into this installation the less impressed I am with both documentation and the kits themselves. Would I order again from them? At this time, no. I did go on to Amazon and ordered weatherproof two-wire (pre-wired) connectors today. These are complete in that you don't have to manually make up the
connectors to work.

I do want to thank those here who have worked with this Admore kit and posted all of their hints and tips. Way more information provided than what Admore had.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks, Ed. I've got through getting it connected and working. I used the accessory connector under the seat for power. Admore is suggesting that we hook into seat power or accessory power. I think that the newer RMs have thrown them through a loop as far as connectors go. I did have to wire up the quick disconnects so that I could remove the case when needed. Had to learn other skills and tools to work with weatherproof type connectors as they had to be made up manually. Admore did include all pins and weather proofing materials though. No instructions on how to put these together. Had to go to Youtube for that.

I'm not sure it's worth purchasing the bluetooth kit. I just don't see the use for it. You can attach via cable to the back of the light to modify the settings without bluetooth. You are limited by the length of that cable though. The bluetooth kit is basically a cable plugged into the back of the light like you would a cable so the only thing you are gaining is a few feet of distance. I guess I was assuming that bluetooth capability was an option built in to the light. Don't know what I was thinking when I bought that option. They could also change the location of the USB connection from the very back to either the side or bottom of the light. In my case, I have get down on the ground and unscrew the light from the panel to get to it. Not sure how difficult it is with the mount above the license plate.

One thing I found with bluetooth is that you don't set it up like a normal bluetooth connection. You need to plug it in, press the switch, and used the admore app on the phone to connect. Trying to set it up like normal bluetooth pairing did not work for me and was very frustrating.

I was also under the impression that the stoplight strobe was cyclical. It's not. It only strobes once per brake press. So if you are stopped at a light don't depend on the strobe until you have a stopped vehicle behind you. If a vehicle is approaching keep initiating the brakes until you have it stopped behind you.

The 'Plug n Play' kit for the RM is not unless you are pre-2019. Be aware of that.

While I like the function of the light itself, the big shortcoming I see is the only one strobe effect per brake pull. It doesn't continuously strobe on interval. No way to program that in, but I don't see why they couldn't program it in with a firmware update.

In Admore's defense, they were helpful in my questions to them but they need to do a bit more in the instruction and plug n play for our 2019+ Indian RMs if they want to sell to us.

Would I buy it again knowing what I do now.....no, I wouldn't, but you need to make your own choices. This is my tale of installation issues. It may not be your experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts