Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My girlfriend rides a 2016 Scout and has quite a bit of difficulty using the stock levers---they're both unadjustable and have a pretty significant angle away from the grips. Has anyone replaced their stock Scout levers with either adjustable levers or levers that rake closer to the bars? Thank you!

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
One of the great things about the scout using 7/8 controls is the amount of choice one has for levers. 7/8 is the size most common to most makes of foreign bikes.
Yes, they may not look like Indian levers, but I find function and comfort to be paramount to vanity on a motorcycle. Plus they are really really inexpensive if your not going racing, and buy top self..
They even have them with the front brake master cylinder and reservoir.
Universal 7/8" Motorcycle Brake Clutch levers Master Cylinder Reservoir Titanium | eBay
That's just one of the millions of options.
Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
One of the great things about the scout using 7/8 controls is the amount of choice one has for levers. 7/8 is the size most common to most makes of foreign bikes.
Yes, they may not look like Indian levers, but I find function and comfort to be paramount to vanity on a motorcycle. Plus they are really really inexpensive if your not going racing, and buy top self..
They even have them with the front brake master cylinder and reservoir.
Universal 7/8" Motorcycle Brake Clutch levers Master Cylinder Reservoir Titanium | eBay
That's just one of the millions of options.
Good luck!
Do they go on with the same cables and bolts? I was interested in changing mine out to adjustable because of the same issue. No one at the Indian store knew of any that would work. Saw some on aeromach's site and they said they "should work" but couldn't confirm they would on a Scout. I know they sale some that aren't adjustable but I don't like the ones they have. Be curious if anyone has changed to adjustable and how they did it. Thanks

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
The only thing to worry about as far as I can see, is if the brake line banjo, and the cable end in the barrel of the lever.
As far as bolts,, the levers come with them.
There are many choices so, Ones that work will be out there.
Keep in mind, at this point, I know of no scout specific adjustable raw levers.. only about the full kits that I've fitted on many bikes, Which means the master cylinder as well..
The scouts cable end is kinda goofy as it have both an 8mm end, and a 10mm.. it's stepped. I put a 10mm adjustment barrel to it and I feel that would work, but I think I'd get an 8mm as well because i think that would be ideal, and for just in case..these can be ordered separate..
looking at the brake line banjo, that's standard fair I see on most bikes..
since this is a universal endeavor, there will no doubt be a very small amount of light modification to make perfect.. if had the issues some have, I would find it more than worth it, for its function, and the cost..
I'll post some pics if the things I described when I get home.

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
OK. So first and foremost I seen your bike is ABS? that is a variable. From my knowledge of most abs systems this wouldn't be an issue, and profess to not know the details of the scouts system. It's workings, or it's master cylinders electric hook up needs if more than switch..
Again a variable. an unknown..
My confidence in most systems would have me exploring this. If I found a set that fit electrically and mechanically speaking. I would feel OK with giving this a shot.
I also acknowledge my being a some what confident, able rider that would also test it's function after the fact in a controlled environment. So I new it would be reliable in an emergency.. But I can not recommend that part to anyone for reasons obvious reasons.. feel OK? Continue..
here's what I would look for.
Look carefully at scouts brake hook ups. Take a pic. Note how the brake line mounts in an under orientation.. note if there are more than the typical 2 electric connections for the brake light switch. If there are more, we are done here..
If not, let's go.
Try to match it hydraulic line orientation. if you can't a front mount will work as well. Avoid this type.
IMAG2045.jpg
Considered an end mount.. but look at how it has that nub hanging off the front. that is the blank undrilled concession for if the maker of this lever were to use this cylinder as a front mount. Rather than the end mount it is.

On to the clutch.
You have 2 options on how to make clutch cable work.. one, would be to get set with an 8mm adjustment barrel
Which sits on the smaller section of scout cable. (Scout cable end pictured below)
IMAG2039.jpg
You can see the smaller section of cable nestled nicely in the the 8mm barrel I used for example. This would give some "on lever adjustment of cable".
Or if you want to mount in the same way as the scouts, "adjustment below only" style , I noticed if you were to simply remove the levers barrel threads with either a file or drill one could retain stock style mount like below
(Through not actually drilled, but if so, the smaller section of cable would fit inside lever unlike like in pic below where it's butted up against.
IMAG2040.jpg
FYI most levers are 8mm. So this may be no biggie, however, if you find a set thats good for all the other aspects laid out here except has a 10mm cable barrel, don't sweat that, adjustment barrels are cheap, and most use common thread, so it usually can be switched easily.
Also, research your bike thoroughly. Research lever kits thoroughly. Try to know what is coming in the mail and try to mock up those bits when they arrive to make sure before you disassemble yours. If confident of what you see, then let'r holler.
Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's a lot of information. Thank you for the great instructions and photos. I will definitely try to take a look at my setup and take pictures like you said before doing anything. This may be way over my knowledge or skill. Sure don't want to mess anything up. Right now I have changed to the bronze and they aren't as harsh on my hands but still hard to reach with small hands.

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
That's a lot of information. Thank you for the great instructions and photos. I will definitely try to take a look at my setup and take pictures like you said before doing anything. This may be way over my knowledge or skill. Sure don't want to mess anything up. Right now I have changed to the bronze and they aren't as harsh on my hands but still hard to reach with small hands.
I've heard the extra grip of the course finish of them does infact help, which makes sense. less effort going into holding on, more intimate actual pull..
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Does she have small hands. I complained of the same thing at first too. But over time my hands got stronger so I didn't make any changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have small hands and carpal tunnel. The grips were changed to aeromach pistol grips and it has helped a lot. It has reduced the stretch from the fingers and thumb and as per the picture, brought the lever angle in. The pic is a comparison of the distance differences lined up before the change out. I prefer a smooth lever over the pistol grip and would change out for smooth but they don't seem to be out there in black. I added heli bars at the same time but that did more for arm positioning than hand positioning. Keep trying on finding the right mix of mods...its worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I looked at the helibars last night. I have the reduced reach from Indian handlebars. The helibars are very costly. Do you see enough of a difference? Are they comfortable with the carpel tunnel? I had surgery on right hand for that a year ago and still have it in left hand.

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
I looked at the helibars last night. I have the reduced reach from Indian handlebars. The helibars are very costly. Do you see enough of a difference? Are they comfortable with the carpel tunnel? I had surgery on right hand for that a year ago and still have it in left hand.
The heli bars are ideal for anyone with hand issues.. you can make them go in any position the rider may need for him/her

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm holding out on surgery to see if my behavior can change the intensity of carpal tunnel. I know how I piss it off...but unfortunately I do it anyway so that's my stubborn problem. The Helibar positioning overall adds comfort but the bilateral carpal tunnel this spring has been pretty intense still-along with tennis elbow...and I don't play tennis... Its all a bit of a chocolate mess and I wear thumb stabilizers and cushioned palm gloves(the kind gymnasts wear)...all quite orthopedic but the combo helps so it all gets numb but not too painful. I had reduced reach and still was leaning too much into the grips because of being so short...The helibars helped a lot with bringing the bars forward and lower. Someone on the forum mentioned to avoid the "death grip" and I was able to lighted that up. My husband voted for the Helibars as we figured we put enough into the bike, might as well do all we could so that was a Bday present. We have a two week vacation this week that includes the Blue Ridge- starting Memorial week end at Rolling Thunder in DC and we were to be in top form...Hah...I think anti inflammatories will be my friend. The pistol grips are a huge help...If your surgery worked on one hand, I would consider doing that before getting Helibars as you already know its success rate! After my moto upgrades, I will probably do the surgery-next year...Reverse order but I think you have had better success with your surgical hand and I personally am not good at behavior modification.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been searching for adjustable levers, or at a minimum something to shorten the distance of the pull. I've been in touch with the people over at coastfab for about a year, HOGLEVERAGE.COM as they've had levers "in the works" for the scout, for quite sometime. Hopefully they'll have something for us soon!!
Since I don't have Hatt's skill set I'll probably go with aeromach in the interim.
Please update if you hear of any other options on the market. Thanks !

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
This is good news! Thanks for that heads up! Make sure you keep us posted as to when the drop in the scene!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can hardly wait! Sooner the better for me. Thanks for the information, I tried to contact them to get some information from them about the scout but no one ever replied to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can hardly wait! Sooner the better for me. Thanks for the information, I tried to contact them to get some information from them about the scout but no one ever replied to me.
I mentioned the forums and that a bunch of us are interested so I hope they come through. Emailed a few days ago but contact is away from the office. Will definitely keep you posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Response from coastfab/ hogleverage.com :

"Sorry nothing yet. If something comes available we will let you know."

grrr frustrating. esp considering there is a market for them but looks like we're out of luck for now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts