Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone adjust the clutch level pull? are there aftermarket lever setups or is it easier to just adjust the stock lever or cable or where it's connected near the clutch for an easier action to pull? lighter clutch springs? what adverse effects would it have to install lighter clutch springs?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I think most here feel that the stock clutches slip enough the way they are - I can't imagine lighter springs.
Best of luck on your project, though.

·
Bronze member
4,869 Posts
The clutch lever has a very specific adjustment with very little room for error. Too much play clutch doesn't disengage, not enough play the clutch slips.

The clutch free play allowed is .5 to 1.5 mm which is very little.

Do you find the clutch lever hard to pull?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm not talking about free play. i'm talking about lessening the amount of force needed to pull the clutch in.

·
Bronze member
4,869 Posts
i'm not talking about free play. i'm talking about lessening the amount of force needed to pull the clutch in.
Nothing out there I know of. The clutch pull is pretty light on the 111 engines at least from my experience but I have not seen many complaints about it.

·
Bronze member
3,122 Posts
I know of no way to lessen the amount of force required to pull the clutch lever. Actually my RM and Challenger‘s clutch require less effort to pull than any clutch I’ve had, including three hydraulic ones.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i test rode a 2019 Vintage last week and the clutch lever pull was about as heavy as i remembered from test riding something like a Chief several years ago. it was mentioned that maybe i test road a leftover Kings Mountain model way back then so today's models would have a lighter clutch but it still felt pretty heavy. maybe it's because i'm so used to the clutch on my Yamaha Vstar 950 which is pretty much a feather clutch that needs hardly any force at all to actuate that anything else will feel heavy no matter what, but i have ridden a handful of other bikes and none felt as heavy as the clutch lever of an Indian. i live in Austin which has some of the worst traffic in the country with a lot of stop/go bumper to bumper so it would be nice if the clutch didn't wear me out any time i want to ride in the city. i'm planning on getting a dark horse chief here pretty soon and will be putting in Amsoil so maybe that will help a little. thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I commute through Minneapolis/St. Paul on the city streets every day. Between dodging bullets and burning buildings, I barely notice the clutch pull on my SDH. :LOL: You'll be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts