Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened my tour pack last weekend to find my Kuryakan unit hanging down from the lid. Seems it works well until you put some items in the pockets. What adhesive are you guys using to insure it stays where it was put?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Weldwood Original contact cement. Apply to each surface. Let dry for 5-30 minutes until you can touch it without feeling sticky. Then put the two pieces together. It will hold.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I opened my tour pack last weekend to find my Kuryakan unit hanging down from the lid. Seems it works well until you put some items in the pockets. What adhesive are you guys using to insure it stays where it was put?

Hanging down as in the velcro is peeling off the lid, or hanging from the velcro and just kinda swollen out? I have issues with the velcro staying put on mine.

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Will that work mixed with kuryakan original adhesive?

Probably. The contact cement stick to most anything. Don" buy a different brand other than Weldwoods. It is the best consumer grade you can get. It is nearly professional grade. If you can remove the Kuryakyn glue do so, otherwise don't worry.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
The velcro was holding but the adhesive wasnt.

I would think you are referring to double sided tape ? there are different grades of that as well and some of the cheaper stuff wont hole with some heat, if you don't do as Marcus has recommend I would be asking for high grade Automotive double sided tape .I always keep a roll in my tool box. Not cheap but I have used it so many times. Really what Marcus has recommended would be the better way to go in this case ,but make sure you have cleaned the 2 surfaces so the cement does its job.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The velcro was holding but the adhesive wasnt.

I have the same issue, and I even replaced the center velcro pieces with automotive-grade velcro that is supposed to be heat-resistant. I think part of it is the way the Kury organizer is assembled. I have noticed that it tends to "bell out" and hang down, which puts more weight on the velcro, possibly due to the back and front being two different pieced that are sewn together. I know another forum member drilled holes in his and ran the bolts that held the trunk rack on through it. I am not quite at that point yet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you have a luggage rack, put 4 holes in the organizer and attach the luggage rack with the nuts and larger washer so the organizer is held by the bolts/washers.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,944 Posts
If you have a luggage rack, put 4 holes in the organizer and attach the luggage rack with the nuts and larger washer so the organizer is held by the bolts/washers.
That's a good idea! I haven't had problems with the adhesive, but it does sag a bit. This could solve that issue. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
It's a common problem. The 3M adhesive fails either between the lid and the adhesive (just doesn't stick well), or fails between the adhesive and the velcro (the adhesive stays on the lid and velcro comes off).

Mine has stayed in place after... using Goo Gone, I removed all the adhesive stuck on the lid and on the velcro. Then I used Gorilla Glue and glued the velcro to the lid. It's been solid for the last several months. The best solution is what Jeff in WI suggested, use the bolts for the luggage rack and run them through the pack.

It would be great if Kuryakan changes up the design and incorporates the luggage rack bolts and abandons the velcro method.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought one a year ago. I wrote kuryakan to get replacement pads. Their customer service rep wrote me back telling me just to get a refund because "they'd been having some Quality problems"....He promised to contact me when they had a solution.....haven't heard a peep since last July....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I reattached the velcro pads with the contact adhesive. Will see what happens.
Thanks all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts