Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Additional wind deflector for lower fairing?

14K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  FTRazor 
#1 ·
The plastic adjustable wind deflector was deleted from the lowers starting in 2019 when the vented lower was introduced.

After a week with my new 2020 Road Master Dark Horse I am noticing that the new style fairing handles the wind a little bit differently than the classic fairing. I am feeling more air coming up from the bottom of the tank than I am used to.

Anyone know of any additional wind deflectors? I noticed the Challenger has the similar type of deflectors as the Road Glide.

#5 ·
No never did. I'm a daily rider and when they came out with the "no payments for 6 mo" deal in may I worked out a really good deal to trade the RM DH for the standard RM 2020 for about the same difference I could have paid when I bought the DH.

I like the original fairing wind protection and the old style saddlebags seem much more sturdy then the new style IMHO

#6 ·
I have been working with JES on a way to mount his current wind deflector that works for non-hard lower bikes on my 2020 RM Darkhorse. He is currently making a 3-D model of it to send me for the second fitting. I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

#9 ·
Wow mean, nice grips! Can't zoom that pic, but I'm curious about this too. Just based on some of the little plastic wind deflectors on the earlier models. I thought they also had some at the bottom of the fairing you could flip up or down to cut off more wind. Maybe that was for the earlier models with the lower leg fairings. I like the ability to open it, but in the rain, the wind comes right up over the top of the leg fairings and brings the rain right on to the top of the knees. I'd of thought maybe there'd be another deflector to keep the rain off from coming up that way. Just my .02. Wonder if they put these in a wind tunnel with a smoke whisp to see how all the air goes? I didn't even YT it so maybe I answered my own question, but I'd think that cost would be included in the price of the bike for how much they cost lol

Reactions: meangrn1800
#12 ·
I recently traded a 2016 RM for a 2019 and immediately missed the older style lower fairings for both wind management and storage. Three days later I went back to the dealer for the 500 mile service and talked to them about trading out the ones off the 2016, which they still had, for the new ones. They looked at me a little strange but agreed and made the switch. The clear deflector makes all the difference, for me anyway.

#13 ·
You guys are making me nervous about my wanting to purchase of a new RM. I really like the adjust-ability of the clear deflector for rain (most of the time, I never bothered with rain gear as the old style RM has great protection) but really like the new lower closure as you can direct the air vice just open and close...

Reactions: RainFinEst
#15 ·
I still carry the rain gear. But I wanted to get out in the rain with this to see how it would do with those big leg fairings. With the vents shut on them I can feel it is warmer in the area. Should be nice for the winter riding for me. Still need to see what I can do about the wind coming up over the top with the rain making the knees wet.

Thanks for the additional pics too, mean.

#19 ·
Could have used something on my recent 1300 mile round trip for the little spat showers to deflect the wind up and away or around from where the knees sit. Fortunately, the knees didn't get too wet for long enough that the water ran down my leg to the socks haha!

Reactions: RainFinEst
#24 ·
Anyone interested in stopping the buffeting that comes up from around the tank on a bike with hard lowers needs to have a look at what JES has produced. Follow the link for a description and the ability to preorder at no cost. I put over 300 miles on the test set, they do a great job at controlling the airflow and reducing the buffetting. After having them on for a while I started wondering how good they actually worked. It was when I took them off to send back to JES I realized how effective they were at stopping the helmet and glasses movement.

#25 ·
Only for 20 and 21s? What about the 19!? On those that have 20 and 21 Roadmasters, do the top of your knees get wet in the rain with no rain gear? Will these defeat the wind and rain hitting you there? I don't feel any buffeting or anything I guess that I can tell on my 19. Just the wind blows the rain right up over the leg fairing and gets your knees wet!

#31 ·
They are in their final design phase at this point.
The ones I had on the bike were the ones that were cut down and shaped to make fit with the hard lowers. They worked well enough that I really miss them. I had to send them back to JES for him to do the CAD and 3D magic from the shape that was created. There are threaded mount holes they fasten to on the lower triple tree/fork area (hidden behind the fairing).

#35 ·
That would be a question from JES. He is putting together the materials to be used and costs to bring them to the market at this time. I just accomplished a final fitment of the deflector that will go into production. He also sent the originals back to me to use until they go into production. The ones I have on the bike are crude compared to what the finished product will be.
I can say they do work at improving the airflow and I missed not having them last weekend when I did an 850 trip.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.