Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic adjustable wind deflector was deleted from the lowers starting in 2019 when the vented lower was introduced.

After a week with my new 2020 Road Master Dark Horse I am noticing that the new style fairing handles the wind a little bit differently than the classic fairing. I am feeling more air coming up from the bottom of the tank than I am used to.

Anyone know of any additional wind deflectors? I noticed the Challenger has the similar type of deflectors as the Road Glide.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these look pretty good. I am also seeing some multi-fit options. I wonder if anyone has tried these? Would it work with the lowers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The plastic adjustable wind deflector was deleted from the lowers starting in 2019 when the vented lower was introduced.

After a week with my new 2020 Road Master Dark Horse I am noticing that the new style fairing handles the wind a little bit differently than the classic fairing. I am feeling more air coming up from the bottom of the tank than I am used to.

Anyone know of any additional wind deflectors? I noticed the Challenger has the similar type of deflectors as the Road Glide.
I would also like to shut off the air between the fairing and the lowers on my 2020 roadmaster darkhorse! I live in northeastern Minnesota where the riding season is short and it gets pretty cold spring and fall Did you have any luck on finding anything? I haven't

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No never did. I'm a daily rider and when they came out with the "no payments for 6 mo" deal in may I worked out a really good deal to trade the RM DH for the standard RM 2020 for about the same difference I could have paid when I bought the DH.

I like the original fairing wind protection and the old style saddlebags seem much more sturdy then the new style IMHO

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been working with JES on a way to mount his current wind deflector that works for non-hard lower bikes on my 2020 RM Darkhorse. He is currently making a 3-D model of it to send me for the second fitting. I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bought a complete set of ‘18 lowers, removed the little deflectors and installed on my ‘19 Elite. Zoom in to see it!

Reactions: Lord Bard Prime

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been working with JES on a way to mount his current wind deflector that works for non-hard lower bikes on my 2020 RM Darkhorse. He is currently making a 3-D model of it to send me for the second fitting. I'll let you know how it works when I get it.
Yes let me know. I could use them also

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wow mean, nice grips! Can't zoom that pic, but I'm curious about this too. Just based on some of the little plastic wind deflectors on the earlier models. I thought they also had some at the bottom of the fairing you could flip up or down to cut off more wind. Maybe that was for the earlier models with the lower leg fairings. I like the ability to open it, but in the rain, the wind comes right up over the top of the leg fairings and brings the rain right on to the top of the knees. I'd of thought maybe there'd be another deflector to keep the rain off from coming up that way. Just my .02. Wonder if they put these in a wind tunnel with a smoke whisp to see how all the air goes? I didn't even YT it so maybe I answered my own question, but I'd think that cost would be included in the price of the bike for how much they cost lol

Reactions: meangrn1800

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow mean, nice grips! Can't zoom that pic, but I'm curious about this too. Just based on some of the little plastic wind deflectors on the earlier models. I thought they also had some at the bottom of the fairing you could flip up or down to cut off more wind. Maybe that was for the earlier models with the lower leg fairings. I like the ability to open it, but in the rain, the wind comes right up over the top of the leg fairings and brings the rain right on to the top of the knees. I'd of thought maybe there'd be another deflector to keep the rain off from coming up that way. Just my .02. Wonder if they put these in a wind tunnel with a smoke whisp to see how all the air goes? I didn't even YT it so maybe I answered my own question, but I'd think that cost would be included in the price of the bike for how much they cost lol
LBP - grips are Woody’s Grips. They are VERY comfortable. Regarding the lowers, the clear flip was added. The Victory CC Tour had the fairing deflector, like the HD’s. Here’s better pics...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I recently traded a 2016 RM for a 2019 and immediately missed the older style lower fairings for both wind management and storage. Three days later I went back to the dealer for the 500 mile service and talked to them about trading out the ones off the 2016, which they still had, for the new ones. They looked at me a little strange but agreed and made the switch. The clear deflector makes all the difference, for me anyway.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You guys are making me nervous about my wanting to purchase of a new RM. I really like the adjust-ability of the clear deflector for rain (most of the time, I never bothered with rain gear as the old style RM has great protection) but really like the new lower closure as you can direct the air vice just open and close...

Reactions: RainFinEst

·
Registered
206 Posts
You guys are making me nervous about my wanting to purchase of a new RM. I really like the adjust-ability of the clear deflector for rain (most of the time, I never bothered with rain gear as the old style RM has great protection) but really like the new lower closure as you can direct the air vice just open and close...
For about $200, you can add a set of those to your 2019+ lowers or swap them out as BeauJames did. Like you, I did not get wet much on the older RM and virtually dry on my CCT.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I still carry the rain gear. But I wanted to get out in the rain with this to see how it would do with those big leg fairings. With the vents shut on them I can feel it is warmer in the area. Should be nice for the winter riding for me. Still need to see what I can do about the wind coming up over the top with the rain making the knees wet.

Thanks for the additional pics too, mean.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am very picky about wind noise and buffeting and in my case, the older style lowers were quieter and calmer than the new style which is why I switched. The extra storage space was a plus too. Everyone is different and that's ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had talked to JES accent
Please do

·
Registered
9 Posts
For about $200, you can add a set of those to your 2019+ lowers or swap them out as BeauJames did. Like you, I did not get wet much on the older RM and virtually dry on my CCT.
Yes, me too. Had XCT, started to ride usually in spring to work, 30km trip, -3 Celsius and was wearing windproof uniform fleece jacket, jeans style pants and air-ventilated shoes. I didn't feel cold. And in the heavy rain I was once about 100+km away, and my jeans were almost dry. Of course I kept speed up .I am not saying Indian is bad, amazing bike and I want to ride it. Bought it week ago, '18 RM 1K miles ridden

·
Registered
606 Posts
Could have used something on my recent 1300 mile round trip for the little spat showers to deflect the wind up and away or around from where the knees sit. Fortunately, the knees didn't get too wet for long enough that the water ran down my leg to the socks haha!

Reactions: RainFinEst
1 - 20 of 37 Posts