Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often are you having to add oil. After about 2300 mile I had to add about a quart. I have a Chieftain Dark Horse with stage 2 Cams. With 7200 miles Is this normal

·
Bronze member
4,346 Posts
How often are you having to add oil. After about 2300 mile I had to add about a quart. I have a Chieftain Dark Horse with stage 2 Cams. With 7200 miles Is this normal

You probably just added an extra quart you didn't need. Indians do not burn or use oil. But they are very difficult to get a good/consistent reading on the dipstick. Many have overfilled them think they were low causing oil to be blown of the breather saturating the air filter and all over the bike. One guy ended up draining 8 quarts from his bike because he thought it was burning oil and kept adding it.

·
Rider
1,271 Posts
Unless you have a leak, or not enough oil was put in last oil change, you shouldn’t need to add oil. These engines don’t use oil. Don’t pay attention to the dipstick either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had to add about 1/2 quart at 3000 miles. Honestly I figured it was probably just evaporation that had it down a bit as there are some volatiles that come off any oil when it's hot. I gotta agree tho, it's a bit of Voo-Doo to try and get the correct oil reading on these engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts