Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased this kit for $49.99 at Best Buy (Special short-term deal of some kind because it doesn't appear to be still valid - didn't post it then so others could consider because I wanted to see the quality of the kit):

Sirius XM Commander Touch

Image of kit:

Installation was fairly easy and it works well (so far) with the provided "puck" antenna mounted on one of the small flat areas to the right of my windshield on top of the fairing. (Almost) All of the parts needed were included - minus some shrink wrap, connectors, a little wire, etc.
I didn't think to take pictures of the installation. I am not happy with one part of my wiring solution, so I will likely go back and fix my wiring to the battery. When I do, I will try to take some pictures to describe my installation solution.

I don't think that this hardware is waterproof, so I wrapped the sensitive parts in a plastic bag until I come up with a better solution. Inside the fairing, I believe that water intrusion is easier to control. The control unit will be mounted on my left handlebar once my RAM mounting solution arrives. I will probably either (a) see if I can water-proof the control unit or (b) just cover it with a zip-lock bag when its wet. Not pretty but effective when it is rarely actually needed.

I have a 2017 Elite with >19000 miles, so I ride a fair amount. The memory stick solution is pretty good, but even then I notice that I am getting tired of my songs. We typically ride "in the boonies" a lot where data connections are limited or non-existant, so phone solutions are unsatisfying.

Monthly cost is a negative. Purchasing songs and albums quickly pays for an annual subscription AND I can listen to other things (sports, comedy, etc.)

My wife is already a subscriber. We will likely change our subscription to this device and use our phones and a data account to connect in our cars. Our daily use is in the DFW metroplex where data is reliable so we can use our phones to connect to Sirius.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I cancelled my Sirius subscription when I PCS'd to Germany, as it will not work here, unless I streamed it through the app on the phone. I just wish that there was an option to add it to the RideCommand without having to add a separate control module.

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I cancelled my Sirius subscription when I PCS'd to Germany, as it will not work here, unless I streamed it through the app on the phone. I just wish that there was an option to add it to the RideCommand without having to add a separate control module.
Some are wondering if maybe the new Ride Command 2.0 coming out this year might have it integrated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just wondering why you didn’t go with something like this which is an all in one motorcycle kit with weather proof protection for the radio?

Was it the cost?

SiriusXM onyX Plus Motorcycle Bundle

$100 Cost difference

A smaller, sleeker installation package

I think I can protect it adequately in the rain - we will see and time will tell

Regards,

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This kit is what I used and is on sale right now at Best Buy - not for $50, but still a decent deal.

All sensitive electronics are in the fairing, enclosed in a zip lock plastic bag with zip ties tightening around where the wires exit th bag. Like many products in the marketplace, my homebrew solution is not "water proof" but rather "water resistant". It is unlikely to get all that wet inside the fairing.

All power connections were made with these "shrink style butt connectors" and the main leads to the battery (fused and come in the kit) are also shrink wrapped over that.

I decided put the control unit inside the glovebox, which has been dry on my bike and dry enough to have an exposed usb port inside.

I don't look for rain to ride in, but I have been caught on longer trips and have ridden in 3 - 4 hours of continuous rain and the glove box remained dry.

I am confident enough in my solution that I am willing to risk $50 worth of hardware.

I note that I may have to upgrade the antenna (as is documented elsewhere here). The puck works well, but something as simple as the windshield position seems to interfere with the reception, in my case when riding in a southern direction. More experimentation to come.

Now the installation is hidden - the only problem is it is inconvenient to change stations while underway. I typically listen for hours at a time - so I can wait until the next stop or just pull over for 30 seconds to change the station when I want.

Just my simple solution to setting up Sirius XM. There are probably better ways...

Regards.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I found this new in the box for $75 so I picked it up. It’s weather proof so no protection from the weather is needed and it’s designed to be used with motorcycle gloves.

Do you think it weird if I mounted this on an Indian?

If Indian made one I’d buy it in a second.

I’ve just not found anything equal to it.

Satellite radio designed specifically for motorcycles.
Weather proof.
Glove friendly

SiriusXM Satellite Radio - Handlebar Mount

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2017 Elite with >19000 miles, so I ride a fair amount. The memory stick solution is pretty good, but even then I notice that I am getting tired of my songs. We typically ride "in the boonies" a lot where data connections are limited or non-existant, so phone solutions are unsatisfying.

Congratulations. Guess I didn't even think of that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This kit is what I used and is on sale right now at Best Buy - not for $50, but still a decent deal.

All sensitive electronics are in the fairing, enclosed in a zip lock plastic bag with zip ties tightening around where the wires exit th bag. Like many products in the marketplace, my homebrew solution is not "water proof" but rather "water resistant". It is unlikely to get all that wet inside the fairing.

All power connections were made with these "shrink style butt connectors" and the main leads to the battery (fused and come in the kit) are also shrink wrapped over that.

I decided put the control unit inside the glovebox, which has been dry on my bike and dry enough to have an exposed usb port inside.

I don't look for rain to ride in, but I have been caught on longer trips and have ridden in 3 - 4 hours of continuous rain and the glove box remained dry.

I am confident enough in my solution that I am willing to risk $50 worth of hardware.

I note that I may have to upgrade the antenna (as is documented elsewhere here). The puck works well, but something as simple as the windshield position seems to interfere with the reception, in my case when riding in a southern direction. More experimentation to come.

Now the installation is hidden - the only problem is it is inconvenient to change stations while underway. I typically listen for hours at a time - so I can wait until the next stop or just pull over for 30 seconds to change the station when I want.

Just my simple solution to setting up Sirius XM. There are probably better ways...

Regards.
What was the antenna upgrade? Could not open the link.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found this new in the box for $75 so I picked it up. It’s weather proof so no protection from the weather is needed and it’s designed to be used with motorcycle gloves.

Do you think it weird if I mounted this on an Indian?

If Indian made one I’d buy it in a second.

I’ve just not found anything equal to it.

Satellite radio designed specifically for motorcycles.
Weather proof.
Glove friendly

SiriusXM Satellite Radio - Handlebar Mount

I really liked the look of this, so went out to find one. Found it, bought it and now have it in my hot little hands. I like the sturdiness of this unit, unlike the other receivers I have tried. Started to set up the install and hit the brakes. This unit has a speaker wire (aux.) that is design to plug into the radio. I assumed it was tuned into FM like other add on receivers I have. I have looked in the manual and it looks like all I have is either Bluetooth or USB options. How did you get this working? I have a 2018 RM.

·
Rider
680 Posts
Wat
I really liked the look of this, so went out to find one. Found it, bought it and now have it in my hot little hands. I like the sturdiness of this unit, unlike the other receivers I have tried. Started to set up the install and hit the brakes. This unit has a speaker wire (aux.) that is design to plug into the radio. I assumed it was tuned into FM like other add on receivers I have. I have looked in the manual and it looks like all I have is either Bluetooth or USB options. How did you get this working? I have a 2018 RM.
watching

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is what I have learned. The brackets that come with receiver will NOT work with the Indian. Needed to purchased a motorcycle mounting kit. The bolts on the back of the receiver are not in the same configuration as the typical Sirius/xm units. I had to modify the bracket by slotting the holes. Next was the issue of the stereo jack that is used for the HD. Since the Indian does not have this capability (that I know of) I found a Bluetooth transmitter you can plug the 3.5mm jack into. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IBT402--hosa-ibt-402-drive-bluetooth-audio-interface-transmitter-receiver-stereo-3.5-mm-trs-jack. I ordered it and will update once I get it installed.

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
What you need is an FM modulator that accepts analog audio in and hook it up to the antenna input of the radio. It will have to be installed inside the fairing.

You will see FM modulators for sale called FM Direct those will not work.

As as a second choice they also make audio to blue tooth converters so you can connect it by blue tooth.

I’ve not yet connected mine because of finances. You can purchase a good quality analog audio FM modulator from a professional motorcycle audio installer or car audio installer since they know how to obtain higher quality equipment if you can’t find one on line.

If you like I can make some calls and find a good quality analog FM modulator for you.

On my previous bike I used an analog input FM modulator so I could listen to my external GPS through the radio and all the GPS had was a analog audio out to hook to an amp. When audio hits the modulator it disconnects the antenna so you won’t get interference from local radio stations. I had a motorcycle audio professional do the install.

The pre-Ride Command bikes had an analog audio input in the back of the radio.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What you need is an FM modulator that accepts analog audio in and hook it up to the antenna input of the radio. It will have to be installed inside the fairing.

You will see FM modulators for sale called FM Direct those will not work.

As as a second choice they also make audio to blue tooth converters so you can connect it by blue tooth.

I’ve not yet connected mine because of finances. You can purchase a good quality analog audio FM modulator from a professional motorcycle audio installer or car audio installer since they know how to obtain higher quality equipment if you can’t find one on line.

If you like I can make some calls and find a good quality analog FM modulator for you.

On my previous bike I used an analog input FM modulator so I could listen to my external GPS through the radio and all the GPS had was a analog audio out to hook to an amp. When audio hits the modulator it disconnects the antenna so you won’t get interference from local radio stations. I had a motorcycle audio professional do the install.

The pre-Ride Command bikes had an analog audio input in the back of the radio.

The kit I installed came with the FM modulator.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The kit I installed came with the FM modulator.
Yes, your kit came with an FM Direct modulator. I wish they made a weather proofed satellite radio designed for a FM Direct modulator so you wouldn’t have to put it in a zippered protective bag.

The FM Direct modulator receives a special signal from your satellite radio designed only for that special kind of modulator.

Back not too long ago, all FM modulators converted only audio into RF for a radio like the audio out on the satellite radio I purchased.

When I purchased the satellite radio I thought that FM Direct modulators were like the modulators of the past but they are a somewhat recent invention. That’s why for my satellite radio I need the conventional audio input FM modulator instead of the FM direct modulator.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts