Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,914 Posts
Super. So don't buy it.
Maybe $46 is a lot of money to you. Maybe the added peace of mind is worth a measly $46 to others.
Not-the-One
Glad that you feel good about spending a measly $46 and not more.
No, $46 is not a lot of money, but I'd put it toward a (leather) Mud flap for my front fender.
You may find, after a few miles, that there may be stone damage and debris in the lower portion of the radiator. Now that can get EXPENSIVE!

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Not such a bad idea considering some of the siddy roads we have here in NY State :mad:

·
Rider
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the John Shope Indian Scout Chin Spoiler, so with it and the Debris shield I have good coverage now.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have yet to hear of any Radiator or Oil Filter damage....sorry I just don't see it's worth

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, I think for the money, the shield is not a bad idea. When I had my Ducati Monster, a trailer spring I didn't see because of the car ahead of me came under the bike and snapped off the shifter lever, and luckily missed taking out my leg. Got it into 2nd gear for a slow ride home.

·
Rider
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My radiator was getting pelted pretty bad, thats why I installed my Shope Chin Spoiler. Also for $46.00, I figured why not a debris shield. Looks nice and extra protection on my investment is a positive step. :)

·
Bronze member
1,914 Posts
I have noticed some fin damage on the lower portion of my radiator. I am looking for a mudguard that isn't too obtrusive. The mesh Rad Guard may only prevent some damage but you also run the risk of blocking some needed air flow to the radiator of an already hot running motor.

I have yet to find any damage to the oil filter or the horn area, so a debris shield is not on my list of add-ons.

I do travel on gravel roads quite frequently and being in Detroit with our pot holed roads, I have yet to find the need to add that shield.

But anyone can add whatever doo-dads they deem necessary on their bikes. I for one only make changes if I see the need to.

·
Rider
591 Posts
Meggie, thank you for not simply deleting my post again.
Apologies for 'arguing', I hadn't intended that with my original question and can see how 75% of what I say (online and in real life) probably comes across as snarky.

Perhaps I should have been clearer in the wording, but I simply wanted to know if MOMZ was saying that because of the debris shield "you may find, after a few miles, that there may be stone damage and debris in the lower portion of the radiator." As in, the shield could cause a rock or other debris to ricochet up into the back of the radiator (edit: because that could be cause for alarm). Or if he meant without any sort of protection you may get damage to the lower portion of the radiator (on the front). In which case, I have no idea why that would be relevant to what was being discussed in this thread. The debris shield protects the oil filter, not the radiator. Hence my later comments of him being in the thread to do nothing but talk negatively about the shield while adding nothing of worth.

Edit2: because I'm petty and can't let it go - I still don't see how "Due to this debris shield or just in general?" didn't succinctly ask the exact same as my above paragraph, considering the part of his post I quoted (the same part that's in quotes above).

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
Some mud flaps can look gaudy. I used a piece of black leather, treated and moisture sealed. Put on with two way 3m tape. Hardly noticeable. Keeps the debri out of the radiator. Interesting thought. Those that have/ get a lot of dings/ gravel throw into the radiator- is it because of location , or the tire thread pattern ? In my case I really have not seen any pits or dings. I put the flap just for good measure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Some mud flaps can look gaudy. I used a piece of black leather, treated and moisture sealed. Put on with two way 3m tape. Hardly noticeable. Keeps the debri out of the radiator. Interesting thought. Those that have/ get a lot of dings/ gravel throw into the radiator- is it because of location , or the tire thread pattern ? In my case I really have not seen any pits or dings. I put the flap just for good measure.
That's a really good question. I'll have to take a look at my radiator to verify, but so far haven't noticed any damage from regular street riding (versus dirt or gravel) on reasonably well maintained tarmac. It seems like this would be more of a problem with the bobber. The stock S60 fenders seem to end low enough to mitigate most damage.

This does have me thinking about flaps though for that extra couple of inches of protection. I wish the OEM leather mud flaps fit the S60. They'd look decent with the rest of my desert tan trim.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts