Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I have been riding my scout, my back has been hurting.I am 5' 10" and have short arms. Do you all think the reduce reach handles bars would help? I had them at the shop to lower the handle bars but that did not help. I love that scout! It is so fun to ride I will ride it till I am so tried I can't hardly walk when I get off it. Lol

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
Common ailments with Scouts
New seats help best for first buys.
Midcontrols
Short ape hangers
Be satisfied that the Scout will probably never be as comfy as a Goldwing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ever since I have been riding my scout, my back has been hurting.I am 5' 10" and have short arms. Do you all think the reduce reach handles bars would help? I had them at the shop to lower the handle bars but that did not help. I love that scout! It is so fun to ride I will ride it till I am so tried I can't hardly walk when I get off it. Lol
Reduced reach controls and bars will help with seating postion. A Mustang or Corbin seat ( amongst others) will help with lower back and numbness . I have a Corbin Brave on my Scout and it is my best upgrade yet for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I am not often on a Scout, but on my other Indians the driver backrest makes a HUGE difference in comfort and length of time I can stay in the saddle... also a bad back here.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,302 Posts
I'm going to be a newbie when it comes to Scouts tomorrow when I downsize from a 2015 Chieftain to a new 2019 Scout ABS. I'm already having the extended foot control kit and floorboards put on it for my long legs. I might look into a different seat later on as well as a backrest. Lots of things I want to add like windshield & saddlebags, maybe a luggage rack.

·
Bronze member
1,813 Posts
I am 5'9 and after I put on the reduced reach pegs (changed to floorboards) and reduced reach bars, with a Corbin seat and backrest, I can ride for hours with only the usual breaks for gas (100 miles). But then , I never had back problems. Without these mods, I felt I was too stretched forward, like a sideways < .

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yes, RR will help. With the stock bars I have no elbow flex. With the XR seat I'm very comfortable.

You might try the Rox risers as a faster solution.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,948 Posts
I had my scout for four years. I'm the same height as you with the same arm issue. I played around with a lot of different options. What worked for me was a mustang seat with the backrest, and reduced reach bars. The mustang moves you up and forward about an inch, and the bars are two inches closer. And I don't think I'll ever ride another bike without the backrest.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had my scout for four years. I'm the same height as you with the same arm issue. I played around with a lot of different options. What worked for me was a mustang seat with the backrest, and reduced reach bars. The mustang moves you up and forward about an inch, and the bars are two inches closer. And I don't think I'll ever ride another bike without the backrest.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The Mustang with easy thumb screw adjustment is the way to go. It does spoil you though. I bought my 1st one for a Softail about 18 yrs ago and havent been without one since. They also look as good when I get rid of them as when new. Money well spent.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My Corbin solved my lower back issues. A large Air Hawk R for longer rides solved the tailbone pain and nether-region numbness issues.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
riding bent over never a good thing. that's why i never understood why people buy the rice rockets. go really fast for an hr an in pain for days.
I actually had much more pain on my Scout than having ridden on my friends CBR. In a sport bike the pressure is on your arms. & shoulder, while the Scout has one slouched in with no support. I was quite surprised.
I ride a Chieftain with a backrest now, but I couldn't go more than a few hours in the Scout, rode my friends sport bike for 3 days (6-7 hours a day) with zero issues.. maybe a little wrist fatigue

Reactions: wildmandmc

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just ordered the Mustang seat with the back rest from J&P! They had them on sell. I want to think everyone for their help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but all things said here are the same things my wife went through. We ended up getting 14" apes for her to reach and a mustang seat with backrest. These worked for her. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but all things said here are the same things my wife went through. We ended up getting 14" apes for her to reach and a mustang seat with backrest. These worked for her. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Do you have pics of the 14" bars on the bike? What cables/brake line did you use and did you have to extend the electrical wires? Sorry for the questions I'm just looking to put 14s on my scout too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts