Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just perused the Indian site for accessories and was a bit stunned by some of the prices. It would appear Indian wants to drive sales to the aftermarket companies. I have heard the dealer extoll the virtue of “American made” on these bolt on accessories, but 500 bucks for passenger floor boards and mounts is extortion. Building American brand loyalty with these prices is like a date rapist asking for a second date because he brushed his teeth. I want them to make a profit without the need for a reach around. For what they charge for a strip of leather you could get the whole cow at auction. Something tells me local machinists and chrome shops are going to see work heading their way. Just venting.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I hear you. Main reason my bike is bone stock. I guess I like my money better than the accessories. I am in the process of checking out after market exhaust, its a few bucks cheaper than Indians stage 1.

·
Registered
35 Posts
even though Indian and Polaris think they have all their buyers by their private parts , they don't. yes ,you want to buy original parts but if they are not affordable i do not have any problem buying after market and sometimes they are of better quality. this will be another strike against Indian and another reason they may fail again even though i hope not.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
My thinking is that Indian's strategy on accessories was aimed squarely at the buyer who loads it up at the time of purchase and then finances the whole enchilada.
I'm saying that because of all of the grumbling from guys who did just that, then had to wait months for their parts...not good.

When I test rode a Vintage it had a drivers backrest on it and I really liked it. I did have the snap to tell my dealer that the deal depended on him "throwing in the backrest and mount at no charge"....yeah right. I'm sure they made the money on something else but I felt good about the deal. My salesman didn't even show me a catalog, just a straight forward deal. Looking back on it? I do appreciate that approach because I was like a love sick schoolboy who just got his first kiss....who knows what I would have bought in the way of accessories if I knew that it would have made only a few dollars difference in my monthly payment over 5 years....not real smart, but just being honest.

The first few visits back to my dealership and I was looking at empty shelves where the accessories should have been....another cooling off period for me.

Now I'm sort of on pause and waiting to see what the aftermarket brings.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree. The parts are expensive, but some of the stuff is not bad, like the jackets from real leather. Anything comparable would be close in price, unless you are cheap like me. I got a leather jacket from the discount rack at a leather place for $75, but it is not the same quality of leather and won't say "Indian". I would consider the jacket if I weren't so cheap. I like the mesh jacket, which is comparable to mesh jackets from other places, but still a bit higher. Accessory-wise, I think it is high, and the after market will kick in soon. I am looking forward to a decent luggage rack once I get my vintage since my wife won't ride and I ride daily and carry stuff on the back and don't want to scratch the beautiful paint.

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
I agree that Indian's accessories are expensive, however you must remember that we're talking about a premium bike here. If you have Cadillac tastes on a Hyundai budget, well?

That being said, I'm not purchasing Indian saddlebags for my bike, I'm going a cheaper, better looking route. Long live the American free market!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes indeed the "extras" are very pricey...however not a great deal of difference between the Indian and HD. My complaint is some of the things that are on the official website are not even available. I needed to get a rain cover and the Indian offering is still yet unavailable as are the passenger boards...and of coarse there is something to be said for equipping the bike with original parts...all that said...I'm just happy to finally have an Indian.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
I bought a Chief Classic on April 30th and accessorized the hell out of it. About $4500 off the top of my head. It is safe to say it's one of a kind. Eventually after market stuff will be there. To me the most overpriced is there saddlebags. My aftermarkets were half the price. The thing that took long to get was the rear luggage rack. All that's left I need is a heel shifter. A paid off house and a good paying job helps. Rome wasn't built in a day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I want to get a cover

INDIAN CHIEF FULL COVER BY INDIAN® MOTORCYCLE
Item #2861038-01

But so far I am told it is back ordered. If I get another one before Indian one is available I am not likely to turn around and get a second one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a Chief Classic on April 30th and accessorized the hell out of it. About $4500 off the top of my head. It is safe to say it's one of a kind. Eventually after market stuff will be there. To me the most overpriced is there saddlebags. My aftermarkets were half the price. The thing that took long to get was the rear luggage rack. All that's left I need is a heel shifter. A paid off house and a good paying job helps. Rome wasn't built in a day.
I bought a rack at dealer along with two expensive helmets with comm system while I was in for 500 mile service. I asked to have the Indian rack installed. Was initially quoted $25 (in addition to nearly $2,000 I was already spending). They came down to $11.00 for install. I realize the shop has to make money, but two bolts, two washers and I had already unpacked it from the tie wrapped packaging.

I was also in market for a motorcycle for my wife and we were close to pulling trigger on getting one that same day. But between them taking an hour longer than they said on the service without bothering to keep us informed of the delay (90 minutes vs 160 minutes) and not cutting any slack on installing an accessory for a customer that was spending around $2,000 I am sure we won't be spending too much more money there.

I have three dealers that are in my range but not one that is easy to get to quickly. So now I am down to just two.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What got me was the $140.00 for a quart of oil! WTF! You can get the oil change kit for I think $90! I got the tall sissy bar and luggage rack in my purchase and just got the rack a couple weeks ago. Didn't think the price was Too bad and wanted ones made for the bike! But that oil just hit me. Ha! Ed

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm waiting on the aftermarket. I do have the stage 1 and six shooter tips, saddlebag protector rails, and the Aeromach heal shifter. Looking at the Kury catalog and will pull the trigger on a few of the chrome bits from them. I've contacted a few of the manufacturers of items that I had on my Road King. Avon grips said they will be available in 30-45 days. Motherwell said no for a solo fender rack (big mistake in my opinion).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Swamp Fox, after you get a call from that dealer as to why you have not visited them lately or have not scheduled your service lately remind them of the ridiculous treatment you were givin. tell them that $11.00 they charged you costs them a lot more than it costs you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I feel U guys, I really love having the Indian parts also, but they are High Rollers and I'm going to ask for discounts and I hope it works!!! LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just perused the Indian site for accessories and was a bit stunned by some of the prices. It would appear Indian wants to drive sales to the aftermarket companies. I have heard the dealer extoll the virtue of “American made” on these bolt on accessories, but 500 bucks for passenger floor boards and mounts is extortion. Building American brand loyalty with these prices is like a date rapist asking for a second date because he brushed his teeth. I want them to make a profit without the need for a reach around. For what they charge for a strip of leather you could get the whole cow at auction. Something tells me local machinists and chrome shops are going to see work heading their way. Just venting.
You are paying American engineers at Indian to design these pieces to Indian's exacting standards, then sending the work out to American craftsman who creat each piece by hand out of American steel and chrome, followed by American workers are packaging them in American printed, American made boxes. I don't mind paying the extra for Indian accessories to support dozens of American craftsman.

We Americans ***** about paying for inferior foreign quality and lackluster craftsmanship but ***** about having to pay for superior American craftmanship. Ya can't have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You are paying American engineers at Indian to design these pieces to Indian's exacting standards, then sending the work out to American craftsman who creat each piece by hand out of American steel and chrome, followed by American workers are packaging them in American printed, American made boxes. I don't mind paying the extra for Indian accessories to support dozens of American craftsman.

We Americans ***** about paying for inferior foreign quality and lackluster craftsmanship but ***** about having to pay for superior American craftmanship. Ya can't have your cake and eat it too.

There is a difference between profit and extortion. I own all American tools, drive an F250 and have saddled American bikes for decades. I have an American made stereo system, amp, pre-amp, speakers and CD player. I am an American worker and loyal to our economy such as it is. I dispute how much engineering went into their 500 dollar air cleaner or their 200 dollar strip of cowhide they call a floor board trim. I am not comparing their cost to China, I am considering their cost in their catalog factoring in a full understanding of what things cost America. A strip of leather 1/4 the size of my American made 59 dollar belt should not cost 200 bucks. We do not have a shortage of cows. They can hire a CAD guy to draft their needs for 100 grand a year and make up his salary in a week. I don't think a strip of leather should cost more than a Snap-On ratchet and an air cleaner should not cost as much as a S&W revolver. A few years back the Indian brand failed partly because no one would pay $30K for a RoadKing knockoff with an S&S engine. Indian needs to factor Einstein’s definition of insanity. I ordered some glass artwork a week ago from a master glass blower in Virginia. He is true a genius. 6 large and beautiful pieces of art cost me $225.00. I thought he was ridiculously cheap, he thinks he made a profit. He has been in business for the last 38 years straight. Indian's leather is made in Asia and from what I have seen I am completely unimpressed. Look at Fox Creek leather made in America. Far better quality, lower price. Indian could have used American leather and charged less and offered a product that commands respect.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Has anybody found a dealer selling online with a discount on Indian accessories? I was hoping for 10% off and no sales tax.

IMG_0003.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know what to tell ya, Hawg. I bought several accessories because I needed them (rear highway bar, tall passenger seat for the Mrs, Stage 1 (loud pipes saves lives), etc. I don't buy wants or would-be-nice items. I have a premium stereo system (McIntosh) so I fully expected to buy premium drivers. If I didn't want the expense, I would've bought a lesser quality brand with cheaper accessories. Same goes with buying a premium motorcycle - I expect to shell out to pay a premium accessories. My wife's Coach purses and all the purse accessories is another example. Or shopping at expensive stores like Macy's etc. That's life, Brother.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Americans in China & Canada????

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 1.01.31 PM.png

How much of a 2015 Indian is "American made" versus "Assembled in USA"?

How much of a 2015 Harley Davidson is "American made" versus "Assembled in USA"?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
"Has anybody found a dealer selling online with a discount on Indian accessories? I was hoping for 10% off and no sales tax."

If you get an acceptable response I would love to see info as well.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts