Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating whether to get the "reduced reach" controls and handlebars. There are currently no bikes available for a test ride in Melbourne yet. I'm 5'6 and was wondering if any of the shorter riders have had these installed. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Max

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I'm 5'6, inseam about 31. I left my scout stock, no change in seat, bar or controls and it fits me just right. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks elrod. I'm just hanging out for a test ride before I start purchasing bits and pieces.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I'm debating whether to get the "reduced reach" controls and handlebars. There are currently no bikes available for a test ride in Melbourne yet. I'm 5'6 and was wondering if any of the shorter riders have had these installed. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Max
Remember when we were kids. Blocks on the pedals , etc.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
5'6". With all the different opinions I'm going to ride a bit before any change. Demo ride was okay.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
5'6" Test road a stock Chieftain not totally flat foot, now own a Chieftain and got a deal on a Tan reduced height seat and now very comfortable and flat footed. Got to love the ride, like no other -

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

LOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank-you to all posters for your replies. I went in again today and sat on the scout and may follow Meg's lead and slightly lower the handlebars. I just can't test-ride the bloody thing because there are none to do so on.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Thank-you to all posters for your replies. I went in again today and sat on the scout and may follow Meg's lead and slightly lower the handlebars. I just can't test-ride the bloody thing because there are none to do so on.
Maxman, I am also 5'6". When I test rode the Scout it had the reduced reach seat. Although I could control the bike fine and was comfortable, I couldn't quite relax enough to enjoy the ride. This was due to ergonomics so I know I'm getting the reduced reach forward controls and bars. I will also buy the reduced reach seat separately. Being comfortable is more than just...comfort. It's a safety issue too. This is also why I'm going through a boatload of work to set up a 2000 Sportster for my (shorter) wife.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ScotD, It sounds like your wife is getting the short end of that deal! My wife bought a used 2001 1200 Custom that had been lowered by the dealer so she was able to sit comfortably flat footed. However! holding it up was almost impossible if the HD decided to tip. It may look like a girls bike but it does requiter someone with the strength and endurance to ride it. I won't comment on the vibration or ride of the Custom HD, not wanted to offend the true believers.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
The Sportster is not a beginner bike, regardless of the variant. It's a great bike, among my favorites, but the rake and high center of gravity makes it difficult for new riders. The Dyna is a much easier Harley for new riders.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
ScotD, It sounds like your wife is getting the short end of that deal!
The Sportster is not a beginner bike, regardless of the variant. It's a great bike, among my favorites, but the rake and high center of gravity makes it difficult for new riders.
T - I'm trying to not duplicate thread here but in another thread I mentioned my strategy. When she's ready, she'll get the Scout and I'll get a larger, used Indian.

Meggie - There's also more to this...the Sportster was her BIL's, and there's more to it that you would understand but I'm not ready to post it yet.

For all: We've already installed the Burly Slammer and JPC shorter kick on the Sportster. Next up is seat & bars. As for a soft tail, she has problems getting her feet on the ground around the primary, and that includes the soft tail slim. Suffice it to say that when she learns the Sportser, most other bikes will be a cakewalk after.

Reactions: 2506

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
T - I'm trying to not duplicate thread here but in another thread I mentioned my strategy. When she's ready, she'll get the Scout and I'll get a larger, used Indian.

Meggie - There's also more to this...the Sportster was her BIL's, and there's more to it that you would understand but I'm not ready to post it yet.

For all: We've already installed the Burly Slammer and JPC shorter kick on the Sportster. Next up is seat & bars. As for a soft tail, she has problems getting her feet on the ground around the primary, and that includes the soft tail slim. Suffice it to say that when she learns the Sportser, most other bikes will be a cakewalk after.
Good man.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ScotD, What does "BIL's" mean? I'm old and this went over my head. (Pun intended) My girlfriend, then is a cancer survivor and that was her goal to own a HD. That was before she became my wife and I hadn't had any influence over her choice of motorcycles. The good news is she never got her license and the HD is history ;)

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
ScotD, What does "BIL's" mean? I'm old and this went over my head. (Pun intended)
Sorry, I've been on the IntardWebs and other forums so I ass-umed most knew the acronym. :(

BIL=Brother In Law.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Cheers,
Max
Wait till your bike arrives. change the seat first to a reduced reach seat, then the handle bars, then the foot controls... I am 5'7" and needed reduced reach help on everything.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts