Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these functions either ON or OFF? In other words, are there different levels of traction control (for example) in rain vs in sport mode? Or is it all or nothing?

I was running on some hard-pack dirt and gravel roads today, and I was trying to figure out if it was worth dropping down a mode or not. I understand what each of the modes do with regard to throttle response as well as what is on / off for each mode, but I don't know if there is a more intrusive ABS or traction control level with rain than in standard or sport.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
There’s not much real documentation about this.

This is what I found out:

We have three modes, each with a different throttle map. Rain, Standard and Sport.

Rain is a soft response, limited power. ABS and TC are on, as is wheelie control.

Standard is nomal throttle response, full power, ABS and TC are on, as is wheelie control.

Sport is a more agressive throttle response, ABS and TC are on, but wheelie control is off.

Track mode can be activated in each mode, and turns ABS and TC off.

What I couldn’t find is if TC is more or less intrusive in each mode (maybe it allows more slip in Sport mode?). If it is TC is still a buzzkill in Sport mode and can end wheelies apparently. ABS is ABS and I don’t think these parameters change between modes.

And yes I wish TC would turn off in Sport mode while ABS would stay on. TC can blip your throttle at 4krpm on wild downshifts, leaning into a U turn... very annoying.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Btw, on hardpack dirt or gravel I’d choose Rain mode, and switch all doodaah’s off. Drifting/sliding is fun, and ABS is outright dangerous.

You don’t want a rear brake that doesn’t work because of ABS...(does require some practice though)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wish I knew about TC and ABS. While I do agree that ABS is ABS, there are quite a number of other bikes that have different ABS levels... I'm guessing to allow certain amounts of slide before coming no. I also know that there are other bikes that will allow you to disable only the rear's ABS if desired.

Regardless, I don't typically ride these types of roads for fun. Here in north TX, it's more of a necessity since it's challenging to traverse large swaths of farmland / pastures without either sticking to one or two main roads unless you're willing to get onto dirt roads from time to time. It's one of the reasons why bikes like the FTR (along with the Scrambler 1200 XE) were on my short list. The FTR's suspension gets harsh at speed over rough terrain, but it runs quite well over smoother dirt and gravel.

·
Rider
1,399 Posts
Abs and tc is much more intrusive in rain/standard mode, I found out
+1 Especially in the following two instances:

When there is 2" of standing water on the motorway and the traffic is doing 25 mph for 3 hours as a result.
When you do eventually get out of the circumstances above and forget you have it in rain mode and wonder wtfs going on when you want to give it some beans and nothing much happens.

😅

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
There’s not much real documentation about this.

This is what I found out:

We have three modes, each with a different throttle map. Rain, Standard and Sport.

Rain is a soft response, limited power. ABS and TC are on, as is wheelie control.

Standard is nomal throttle response, full power, ABS and TC are on, as is wheelie control.

Sport is a more agressive throttle response, ABS and TC are on, but wheelie control is off.

Track mode can be activated in each mode, and turns ABS and TC off.

What I couldn’t find is if TC is more or less intrusive in each mode (maybe it allows more slip in Sport mode?). If it is TC is still a buzzkill in Sport mode and can end wheelies apparently. ABS is ABS and I don’t think these parameters change between modes.

And yes I wish TC would turn off in Sport mode while ABS would stay on. TC can blip your throttle at 4krpm on wild downshifts, leaning into a U turn... very annoying.
Does yours automatically turn off ABS/TC when you select Track mode? Mine requires an actual selection, once in Track mode, to turn them off

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
533 Posts
Does yours automatically turn off ABS/TC when you select Track mode? Mine requires an actual selection, once in Track mode, to turn them off
I've wondered what the function of solely Track mode is. You can select Track mode, and have "Track" displayed on your dash under your ride mode, and still have ABS/TC on so there must be some function to solely being in track mode.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Yeah, that’s the part that’s badly documented, I think track mode simply requires that acknowledgment (for legal reasons).

·
Bronze member
2,308 Posts
You have to be stopped when selecting track mode for abs/tc to be completely turned off.

And yes it completely turns both off in track mode. That’s how you get fun burnouts and wheelies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
818 Posts
You have to be stopped when selecting track mode for abs/tc to be completely turned off.

And yes it completely turns both off in track mode. That’s how you get fun burnouts and wheelies
maybe yours is different - when I select 'track; i then have to also select turning ABS/TC off.
is this something on international models maybe?
I'll film it/take a photo so you know what I mean.

·
Bronze member
2,308 Posts
That is correct.

I guess i never put it in “track mode” without disabling tc/abs

·
Bronze member
2,308 Posts
Looked at the manual “track mode allows you to disable traction control / abs”

In other word just turning on “track mode” doesn’t do anything special. It’s just one more unneeded step before you can disable tc and abs.

So with Max’s switch, there should be some copper safety wire over the red cover you have to break before you can lift the cover and then flip the switch lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts