Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Friday I rode my Chieftain after a few days of it sitting. ABS light stayed on after getting above 10MPH. No codes shown on the dash as I toggle through the screen. No check engine light either. Toggled to the voltage screen showing 14.4 to 14.7 volts. Assuming the values shown are correct? Shut bike off hit the power button on the tank console, toggle to the voltage screen and showing around 12.7 volts. Start bike and voltage temporarily drops to 11 volts and bike starts the same as always with voltage resuming to around 14 volts at idle. I have spent a fair amount of time on the Tech Q&A looking for a similar situation. Guess the first thing to do is check both sensors to see it they are dirty, check face on the two toothed rings on the wheels, look for wire chafing. Bike has 49+K miles battery replaced last summer. Not sure if anyone else in Indian land has had the same thing. Thanks

·
Rider
549 Posts
Ride the bike for half a dozen cycles. If the light doesn't go out then start your diagnostics or go to dealer.This is a very common issue for bikes that have been sitting a while!

·
Registered
312 Posts
had the same issue see if your cruise control works. and check to see if your brake light is on all the time. it turned out that my brake switch went out it was showing that brakes were on all the time I replaced the switch its on the abs modual and problem was solved

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
had the same issue see if your cruise control works. and check to see if your brake light is on all the time. it turned out that my brake switch went out it was showing that brakes were on all the time I replaced the switch its on the abs modual and problem was solved
OK I will look to see if the brake light is staying on. I'm also gonna get a new yuasa battery as I have the original one in the bike. Thanks for your input too.

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after installing a new battery ABS still stayed lit. Both sensors at the wheel clean. Took bike in for the VCM and gear position recall and the 5K (50K total) service. This is the second gear position indicator switch that failed. Today was called by the dealer and the ABS module has evidently failed. A $670 part with 3 hours labor. For comparison an ABS unit on the 2nd generation BMW's costs a whopping $4,200... I will always wonder if the VCM failure at pin 11 caused the ABS unit to fail? Oh well no one ever said that owning a motorcycle was a cheap hobby. Told the service guy I want the old ABS unit back so I can take it out in the Nevada desert for some target practice....

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After ABS module replaced the dealer told me that the front sensor also failed....Total bill is almost $2K ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts