Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Chief/Vintage. It has a little over 3K miles on it. I have noticed the last couple of days when I start the bike, the ABS light does not want to go off till I move the bike. Today the wife and I went for a ride and stopped under a shade tree for a little break. Upon starting the bike, the ABS light was on and the horn blew twice and then the light went out. What is going on? Brakes work just fine, but there seems to be some crazeee stuff going on here! Any thoughts? Too much fancy electronics in vehicles these days.

·
Rider
1,055 Posts
I have a 2016 Chief/Vintage. It has a little over 3K miles on it. I have noticed the last couple of days when I start the bike, the ABS light does not want to go off till I move the bike. Today the wife and I went for a ride and stopped under a shade tree for a little break. Upon starting the bike, the ABS light was on and the horn blew twice and then the light went out. What is going on? Brakes work just fine, but there seems to be some crazeee stuff going on here! Any thoughts? Too much fancy electronics in vehicles these days.
Call it a gremlin or whatever. The ABS light will tend to stay illuminated until the bike rolls away for a few yards. And I have also had the occasional time when the bike is "unhappy" on start-up, the "shield" icon stays lit on the dash and it beeps a couple of times and then shuts down. No idea what that's about. When it happens, I don't wait until it shuts down. I power it down and restart it and all is good with the world.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Communications with your key fob can be troublesome under any number of circumstances. I put my fob up on the dash in a pocket and it usually behaves OK.
ABS system has to gain a signal from your wheel speed sensors... No Gremlins.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
The other thing to look at is the battery in your fob may be getting towards the end of its life ,the bike is close to 4 years old now so chances are the fobs battery would be the issue .I would be changing that and it should fix that. As for the ABS it is normal as the guys said above.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
those dam fobs lol seems to always becoming the problem child. i sort of like the keys back in the day. keys never needed a battery. just needed a thing to find them. oh yea one of those battery operated key finders .

·
Rider
543 Posts
[QUOTE=
ABS lite should not go off until over 6 mph and change your fob battery on the horn and shield issues. All of this in in your manual.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Call it a gremlin or whatever. The ABS light will tend to stay illuminated until the bike rolls away for a few yards. And I have also had the occasional time when the bike is "unhappy" on start-up, the "shield" icon stays lit on the dash and it beeps a couple of times and then shuts down. No idea what that's about. When it happens, I don't wait until it shuts down. I power it down and restart it and all is good with the world.
Your ABS works just like mine has, light is on for the 1st 50 feet or so, and has always behaved that way.

Have you replaced the battery in the FOB, I have always used Duracell's from a source that is fresh. The first time I replaced it the battery had been on the shelf to long and it responded like yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts