Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a T-CLOCS inspection the other day, and I noticed that I have more wear on the right side of my front tire than I do on the left. Has anyone else run across this before?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it the other way around, all the way on the left side, and yes, I love left handers more than right handers...
I thought that my route to work might have something to do with it, as it involved a really tight right curve soon after I leave the house, and that curve is not duplicated on the ride home.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
309 Posts
Max Kool is on the right curve (track) ha ha you must love cranking the RH corner, another issue could be your RH fork leg leaking or less fluid, however, this is not common.
How warm is your tyre when you tip into the right corner?, also tyre pressure?

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
I was doing a T-CLOCS inspection the other day, and I noticed that I have more wear on the right side of my front tire than I do on the left. Has anyone else run across this before?

Does the rear look the same? If it has more wear on the right too, then I’d say it’s just where you ride.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what it currently looks like.

·
German rider
723 Posts
Its about northern and southern hemisphere, like the swirl direction ... ;)

But seriously, if someone rides city highways daily with a lot of interchanges...

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you ride on the right side of the road your tires wear more on the left side. If you ride on the left side of the road tires wear more on the right side. This is caused by the crown of the road, a design to insure water drains well. This is more noticeable on the front tire than the rear. Most important for tire wear is maintaining proper air pressure, nothing will ruin a tire faster than under or over inflation.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you ride on the right side of the road your tires wear more on the left side. If you ride on the left side of the road tires wear more on the right side. This is caused by the crown of the road, a design to insure water drains well. This is more noticeable on the front tire than the rear. Most important for tire wear is maintaining proper air pressure, nothing will ruin a tire faster than under or over inflation.
Yes...but I ride on the right side of the road here in Germany. It may be that there is a sweeping right curve that I take to work almost every day, that is not repeated to the left.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am also wondering if I should go ahead and replace the tire, or wait until next season starts.

·
Bronze member
2,234 Posts
Check your rear end alignment. I had something similar on another bike, it was the rear tire/wheel being offset. Way off on alignment, which caused me to counter-steer without even knowing it. Had to get 2 new tires.

Reactions: Malgy and Kost

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Seems like your best bet is that sweeping right turn. But I wonder if an overly packed right saddlebag could also have this effect? Are both bags weighted the same or close to?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like your best bet is that sweeping right turn. But I wonder if an overly packed right saddlebag could also have this effect? Are both bags weighted the same or close to?
Pretty close. I actually keep more stuff in the left bag, on average.

Reactions: Moto_Max
1 - 16 of 16 Posts