Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the OEM mid frame chrome billet inserts for the Scout. They fit in the recess nicely. DRY fit. I only get one shot at a installing them with the 3M double sided tape. Any suggestions on how to get them perfectly aligned while installing them?

Difficulty. Old man shaky hand are a possibility.

Now.
20200124_205356.jpg

It'll look like this when they are installed.

bling_position.jpg

Look at the mid frame there!!! NOT at the seat cover on the solo seat!!!

Focus!!!

;-)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Very carefully ???

Reactions: Tabernash

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Or ... Stick the tape onto the billet but leave the plastic film over it. Position the billet in the right place and tape one of the long edges to the bike. Fold the billet back using that tape as a hinge. Remove the film and fold the billet into place. Remove the hinge.

·
Bronze member
2,702 Posts
Sorry, couldn't focus..But I did try !

What was the question again ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or ... Stick the tape onto the billet but leave the plastic film over it. Position the billet in the right place and tape one of the long edges to the bike. Fold the billet back using that tape as a hinge. Remove the film and fold the billet into place. Remove the hinge.
That was kind of my thought. I'll dry fit it a few times to test it out.

The other thought I had was peel back a small portion of the 3M tape liner and position the billet, then peel off the rest of the liner. That is made difficult because of the way the tape is applied. It is one piece covering the entire back of the mid frame billet cover.

I might be over thinking this so I appreciate ALL the suggestions I can get.

·
Rider
734 Posts
Peel about 3/4" of the backing film and use some masking tape to make a pull tab.
Take about 12" of masking tape and double it back on itself, leaving enough to stick on both sides of the backing film.
Position the billet while holding up slightly on the side with the tape exposed.
Once it's where you want it, press it into place and use the tab to pull the remaining backing off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You bet I will. Right now it's below 50° in the garage. As soon as the garage and bike are over 50° I'll put them on and snap some pictures!
As promised here are some pictures of the bling. Today it got over 50°. I took the bike for a ride and parked it. I was checked the temperature with my laser dot gadget and the bike was 72° and the garage was 55°.

First at the beach with no bling.

Then the bling while sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Online from Amazon. Broward Motorsports has a presence on Amazon. Indian sells them also...

Like everything Indian, they were $309.

Excellent build. Excellent quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts