Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I took a leaf out of Max’s book and ran the FTR in Sport,Track, fun police turned off. Go my surprise not only did it calm down the hunting back and forth at steady throttle but smoothed everything out. The throttle response was great and I actually got better mileage (k’s) to my normal loop. Even at around 2750 in forth just cruising through a 60 zone it was very well behaved and a lot smoother. I think I’ll just pick that setting when I’m out playing now. Seems ok. Better than it was anyhoo. Mind you it is feeling like it’s loosening up a bit more now approaching the 800 k Mark. 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow okay, thanks Breto! Maybe this is what's been confounding my attempts at a smooth aftermarket tune since the latest Indian ECU update. I haven't taken the collar off my FTR since I bought it, but now I'm going to give it a try.

·
Rider
1,288 Posts
In extremely heavy traffic I found 'rain mode' smoothed things out greatly rather than the 'fuel on fuel off' scenario.

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes it would, because Rain mode flattens the curve of twistgrip vs throttle positon near the beginning of the twistgrip postion. It masks the mechanically sticky twistgrip.

The twistgrip jumps-and-grabs, jumps-and-grabs as you try to twist it smoothly. I tried 6 different FTRs in my dealer's showroom and they all did this! I can hear the throttle body motor following this stair-step motion as I twist. I think it's triggering a jumpy ride, and is setting up a feedback loop with the traction control system. I need to verify this somehow.

Reactions: Breto

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it would, because Rain mode flattens the curve of twistgrip vs throttle positon near the beginning of the twistgrip postion. It masks the mechanically sticky twistgrip.

The twistgrip jumps-and-grabs, jumps-and-grabs as you try to twist it smoothly. I tried 6 different FTRs in my dealer's showroom and they all did this! I can hear the throttle body motor following this stair-step motion as I twist. I think it's triggering a jumpy ride, and is setting up a feedback loop with the traction control system. I need to verify this somehow.
Well that may have some weight. I can definitely say that I didn’t have any where near as much jumps or grabs as you put it. It was just heaps smoother.

·
Silver member
5,445 Posts
It masks the mechanically sticky twistgrip.
Of all the bikes I’ve riden and owned, the FTR’s throttle has the least stiction of all.

And that’s a compliment, because one of the first thing I do to bikes is lube the throttle tube with powdered graphite to get rid of stiction, and take the slop out. Never needed to do this on the FTR.

In fact, the throttle has so little stiction you’re constantly going back and forth a tiny bit on bad roads...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Of all the bikes I’ve riden and owned, the FTR’s throttle has the least stiction of all.
Wow Max, that's a better experience than I'm having! I can feel the stiction with on every FTR I've tried, and this is with the ignition off. With the ignition on, but the engine not running, I can hear the stiction transfer to the motion of the throttle body motor. I just twist it as smoothly as possible, and listen. It's only prevalent when trying to move it gradually.

I will take a lesson from your book and shoot some graphite in there.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

And that’s a compliment, because one of the first thing I do to bikes is lube the throttle tube with powdered graphite to get rid of stiction, and take the slop out. Never needed to do this on the FTR.

In fact, the throttle has so little stiction you’re constantly going back and forth a tiny bit on bad roads...
Both the FTR and my wife’s Bobber are the first Bike’s I’ve ever had with fly by wire throttles. Everything up till now including my Thrux has a throttle cable. I’ve never been happy with the play in the wife’s bobber throttle but the FTR doesn’t seem to fall ill of that. That’s probably the reason they hunt back and forth. Just that slight movement of your hand over road surfaces. But, today in Sport, Track ,fun police off mode it wasn’t really a bother at all. Mmmmm 🤔

·
Registered
739 Posts
when I bought the FTR i was told 'oh fly by wire eh? that will take some getting used to'.
it didn't - felt great right off the bat!

and yes Sport mode/Track/everything off is smoother. I put my aftermarket tune on after I got to 800kms on my FTR.
Now at 1600 (haven't been out the last few weeks due to rain) and with the tune it's brilliant.
but let it bed in and see what you think!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when I bought the FTR i was told 'oh fly by wire eh? that will take some getting used to'.
it didn't - felt great right off the bat!

and yes Sport mode/Track/everything off is smoother. I put my aftermarket tune on after I got to 800kms on my FTR.
Now at 1600 (haven't been out the last few weeks due to rain) and with the tune it's brilliant.
but let it bed in and see what you think!
Yep that’s the plan Tash. Get my tuner and air filter, send the little piggy to market and get it greased. Then hopefully I’ll be able to do the tune thing and people can chase me. 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Keep in mind when discussing this, that the throttle response can be adjusted with tuner to ones preference. 🤙

·
Silver member
5,445 Posts
You sure about that? I always thought that was only possible if the tuner you got your map from left that section of the map password free...

Besides, you still need to know what you’re doing, this bike has multiple maps for each gear in each riding mode. A minimum of 36 rows..

·
Registered
79 Posts
"Stiction" in the thottle is not normal...mine is very smooth, like every other bike I've owned, carbureted, fuel-injected or throttle-by-wire.

If that is not your experience, it is a warranty issue.

·
Registered
218 Posts
"Stiction" in the thottle is not normal...mine is very smooth, like every other bike I've owned, carbureted, fuel-injected or throttle-by-wire.

If that is not your experience, it is a warranty issue.
My experience is that the twist grip on every FTR in showroom I visted felt the same as mine, stiction while trying to make very small steps, and when riding, jumpy instead of smooth while trying to hold it still. When I listen with the power on, that movement of the throttle translates to a stair-steppy sound of the throttle body servo. Not a warranty issue because it's not broken. It's a design issue.

I compared the FTRs to whole row of Indian Scouts, Scout Bobbers, Bobber 20s and Bobber 60s. All smooth as silk!

I sprayed some graphite lubricant in there. No help. All this being said, I understand the problem can be cured, or at least minimized by aftermarket tuning. I made the mistake of getting the latest Indian ECU update. Now I have to wait for a new tune to replace the old one which is delayed until Dynojet figures out some issues it's having with the update.

·
Rider
1,288 Posts
Electrical sensitivity cannot be cured by throwing any grease or lubricant at it. Mine is the same. If the problem was mechanical it would also manifest itself albeit in reduced symptoms in 'Rain Mode' which it doesn't. So glad I wasn't able to rush out and get the latest OEM flash with my latest foray into tuning upgrade, don't think it was/is even available over here yet?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Electrical sensitivity cannot be cured by throwing any grease or lubricant at it.
Agreed. It's not electrical sensitivity I'm trying to cure. I tried to use lubricant to reduce mechanical stiction.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
You sure about that? I always thought that was only possible if the tuner you got your map from left that section of the map password free...

Besides, you still need to know what you’re doing, this bike has multiple maps for each gear in each riding mode. A minimum of 36 rows..
OK. "You can have it adjusted".
my point wasn't "who" does it. It was it can be done.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Out of curiosity, mostly because this is my first "fly by wire" throttle on any bike and I am just not familiar with its mechanics yet, is there a way to reduce the "springiness" or increase the tension on the twist grip itself? Coming from a Harley where I can adjust the tension on the actual throttle grip, the FTR's twist grip feels so light and it has such a strong rebound back to idle (coupled with the engine breaking on this being being very strong) that I feel this could also be a cause for some of the jerkiness, especially on rough roads. Perhaps the grip is just too sensitive and if there was more tension on the twist grip, you can hold it in a given position better. This or I have just gotten really use to how my Harley was, practically had cruise control if you took your hand off...

I do have to say though that I also tried my bike in sport mode with the assists turned off and it did, if ever so slightly, improve the jerkiness.

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
No there isn’t anything inside the throttle grip you can adjust.

Yes you can play with the parameters in the tune. But that’s if you do all of your tuning from scratch.

If you have a tune given to you by any of the popular tuners, they are all locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
No there isn’t anything inside the throttle grip you can adjust.

Yes you can play with the parameters in the tune. But that’s if you do all of your tuning from scratch.

If you have a tune given to you by any of the popular tuners, they are all locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To add,
if your working with a tuner (a person) you can request it.
I did.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts