Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,
Here is a picture of a used 2018 Scout I picked up from Craig's List. I was taking the test ride when it rolled over on 4000 miles.

20190702_180723.jpg

Reactions: Geoff-3 and ScotD

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next a Bassini Road Rage 2 into 1 exhaust was brought by the Amazon truck. And the seat turned black.

20190705_110421.jpg 20190705_125923.jpg 20190710_203037.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Bassini Road Rage is a 6 at idle but a 10 at full throttle. I'm toning it down a bit. I took out the baffle and put a plug into it half way down in about 10 minutes work. This is the way the factory Sportster mufflers work, and I have used this technique a few times.

With the plug and without any packing, the measured idle sound level is a bit less than the Bassini out of the box. With the plug and with packing the idle and riding sound level is actually quieter than the Scout stock exhaust. Yeah, that surprised me too. I'm probably going to run it with the plug and no packing. We will see. The last picture is of an invaluable addition to any slide hammer.

20190716_183439.jpg 20190716_183853.jpg 20190716_190145.jpg 20190716_190819.jpg 20190716_191733.jpg 20190716_183439.jpg 20190716_183853.jpg 20190716_190145.jpg 20190716_190819.jpg 20190716_191733.jpg 20190716_194229.jpg

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Put on a Zippers performance intake today. Took a few pictures along the way. I like the kit. Very well thought out.

The only thing I changed was to drill and tap the elbow for a PCV connection, the way the factory air filter and others are done. There is value to PCV other than emissions.

Also sealed off the hole in the frame that the other air filter system used for sound deadening. I don't want to pack around any bugs, snakes or mice in that cavity.

Only ridden once since the Zippers were installed. It starts being noisey about 4000 rpm. The Zippers and Bassini Road Rage are supposed to add about 15-17 ponies.

Put in some iridium electrode spark plugs while I was under the tank.
20190720_104931.jpg 20190720_110754.jpg 20190720_110835.jpg 20190720_111054.jpg 20190720_123143.jpg 20190720_124333.jpg 20190720_130927.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Indian aftermarket Hurican intake, any reason why you blocked off the area where the radiator air flow was coming in? I left mine open for the simple fact thinking air would flow to the filter better. Any info helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Indian aftermarket Hurican intake, any reason why you blocked off the area where the radiator air flow was coming in? I left mine open for the simple fact thinking air would flow to the filter better. Any info helps.
I do not believe there is any airflow from that opening in the frame. In fact it is in the airflow path of the stock intake, as shown by a picture on the Zippers website, shown below. The picture shows the stock air filter box and air flow path. The stock air flow path is quite convoluted, hence the reason so much power can be gained by changing to an aftermarket air filter. I suspect this area was used for a stock air filter only to dampen the sound of the intake.

I only blocked it off to keep stuff from accumuating in there as mentioned above.

AirFilter-Stock.JPG

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do not believe there is any airflow from that opening in the frame. In fact it is in the airflow path of the stock intake, as shown by a picture on the Zippers website, shown below. The picture shows the stock air filter box and air flow path. The stock air flow path is quite convoluted, hence the reason so much power can be gained by changing to an aftermarket air filter. I suspect this area was used for a stock air filter only to dampen the sound of the intake.

I only blocked it off to keep stuff from accumuating in there as mentioned above.

View attachment 509564
I see what your are saying , however i know that air in that chamber is from the air passing the radiator. If you stick your hand down it im almost positive it opens up at the bottom creating like an ram air scoop from air passing through the radiator as you move.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I see what your are saying , however i know that air in that chamber is from the air passing the radiator. If you stick your hand down it im almost positive it opens up at the bottom creating like an ram air scoop from air passing through the radiator as you move.
If this chamber is open at the bottom, as you speculate, then this engine has no air filter. Dirty air will be drawn into the engine at all times.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If this chamber is open at the bottom, as you speculate, then this engine has no air filter. Dirty air will be drawn into the engine at all times.
This is also true. Didnt think about that. I am going to further inspect this area when i get home tonight. I may cap it off if it serves a purpose of doing so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay, back to the built thread. I'm going to put a GPS on my scoot for trips. I usually do about 2000 miles a year, a good part of it on trips. On my last bike I had a tank bag that was sold specifically to hold my automobile GPS in a mostly-waterproof windowed area and of course a big storage area and some pockets. However, I have given up on tank bags. They all scratch the tank. The magnetic ones are the worst. Those little magnets spend their entire life collecting little bits of metal to scratch the tank with.

So for this scoot I'm mounting a waterproof GPS, probably the Zumo 396, on the handlebar. But most handlebar brackets and the wires to get power to the GPS are FUgly. This is my solution.

I bought a handlebar clamp made to mount a rear view mirror. Then a "RAM" ball was mounted on the handlebar clamp, and the USB charger is mounted with a simple aluminum bracket. That area next to the handlebar clamp is pretty narrow, so I narrowed the mirror bracket with my milling machine. The cable to power the GPS will only be about 5 inches long and all tucked in. This whole thing is on the left so I can use my left hand to interract with the GPS. The USB charger connects to the wires that Scout provided for their USB, which are available in the headlight nacelle.

I briefly thought about the "RAM" ball mount replacing one of the handlebar bolts, but that still didn't give me a USB charger mount. The whole thing is very inexpensive, much less than the Scout USB kit alone.

20190804_084527.jpg 20190804_084536.jpg 20190727_200309.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Warning: if you don't like Viking bags move along, nothing to see here.

I put the Viking Ultimate bags with EZ Brackets and a Bobber tail bag on the scooter. I mean no offense to others with different bags, but I love the way the bags are the same shape as the fender in the back. Square bags never did make sense to me.

The tail bag is to make up for not having a tank bag. It isn't a perfect substitute, but I will not scar another tank.

20190804_084435.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,817 Posts

I put the Viking Ultimate bags with EZ Brackets and a Bobber tail bag on the scooter. I mean no offense to others with different bags, but I love the way the bags are the same shape as the fender in the back. Square bags never did make sense to me.

The tail bag is to make up for not having a tank bag. It isn't a perfect substitute, but I will not scar another tank.

View attachment 513626
to be honest they look like the spy photos of the new accessories for Scouts.... and I'll bet 1/4 the price

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Being seen is paramount to being safe. I run a modulated headlight, which helps quite a bit. It is easy to run one week with it off and another week with it on to see the difference. And there is a significant difference.

I also believe brighter is better, and an unusual light configuration helps to be seen. Locomotives use a 3 light system for this reason. So I'm adding driving lights to the scoot. And I live in horse, cow, bear, deer, elk, coyote, fox, bobcat, rattlesnake and raccoon county, and seeing them at night is very important.

There really isn't enough headlight, turn signal and driving light separation with the driving lights up high, so I'm putting them on my fork legs like some of the adventure tourers do. I ran this configuration for 9 years on a Sportster and it works well.
20190825_094744.jpg 20190825_095018.jpg 20190825_105928.jpg

Here are my homemade brackets and the install. Wiring is next.

·
Registered
274 Posts

View attachment 513626
This is the first time I've seen the EZ Brackets mentioned so thanks. I'm fairly new here though so perhaps they are mentioned in another thread.

My Scout came with a set of brown leather Gilroy era leather bags with fabricated mounts that I don't care for. I've had EZs on three other bikes, and also a set of Viking bags. They are roomy, tough and economical so I like them. If the Gilroys don't work out for some reason, I'll be getting a brown set.

The previous owner installed a Zippers intake so this discussion about airflow now has me scratching my head a bit and wondering if I should be concerned.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zippers is a great intake. It adds quite a bit of power. I personally not concerned at all. The Fuel Moto tune works great with the Zipper intake and Basinni 2 into 1. Throttle response is instant, power is everywhere.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mine came with these nasty little, ear shattering shorty straight pipes. I removed them immediately and installed the Stage 1s mufflers that also came with it. It was tuned for the Zippers intake and the nasties with a Dynajet PVCX and so ran "fat". Dynajet sent a tune for it with the Stage 1s and now it runs great.

I'm still in the "make it a touring bike" mode so next is a Memphis Shades batwing fairing. I decided on that over a windscreen.
My new 413 HD shocks arrived yesterday which will replace the Progressive 970s so I can mount the leather bags.
Progressive 413s.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use one motorcycle for everything, including some trips. So I will add a Plexifairing GT in the spring. I need to see the road as close to the tire as possible to keep from running over sand, gravel, etc. that may be on the road. Sometimes an inch or two is the difference between staying upright and washing out the front wheel on poor traction.. So clear windshield for me instead of fairing.

Good luck to you on your changes. Scouts are like legos, you can build anything you want.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts