Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES THIS IS LONG, but its my story, please dont troll, just passing it along for someone else who might be in the same spot.. thx..

A week or so ago I posted questions about how to get my “new to me” 2017 Indian Scout Sixty tuned as it had arrived to me with 1800 miles and an upgraded Trask Air Filter and Trask Slip On Exhaust mods. I wanted to give an in depth update for those facing similar tuning needs.

It was clear after spending some time on the Scout that it needed an ECU flash; it was popping on decel, running hot and lean, and the pitch of the exhaust was sharp and scratchy.

I had just invested money in the Scout and not wanting to drop more money on fixes (read, my wife wouldnt understand, lol) but I also wanted to protect my investment and ensure it was running right. With only 1800 miles on it, I wanted to get it tuned for the long relationship I intend to have with it. I have/have owned other bikes but nothing modified to require a tuning.

I weighed the cost benefits of; installing a DynoJet Power Commander setup, getting the Scout dyno’ed, getting a DynoJet Power Vision, or getting the local Indian dealer to flash the ECU. This is what I found after doing my research:

My Local Indian dealers;
-Only flash Indian tunes/map. They have a stage 1 flash for their optional equipment and the base model flash. It includes things like EPA regs, rev limiting, and some suspicious limits it appears to ensure that the Sixty’s performance is harnessed enough to keep the Sixty’s bigger twin brother at the top of the stack for power responsiveness and driving. I am sure that is the sales pitch too. Cost- $250 for a new ECU “card” and $50 for reflash, $300 (after doing more research IDK what ECU card they were trying to sell me as I ultimately didnt seem to need one. Makes me wonder if I can trust them. The flash wouldnt match my installed non Indian equipment so would still not get all out of the bike and the equipment on it I could get and I would have all those pesky manufacturers required EPA limiters, ugh)

Local Dyno Shop;
-They would install a DynoJet Power Commander setup and tune with data from three runs on their Dyno. They are well known, have bikes being shipped to them from all over the country (as they were early leaders and partners with DynoJet from the beginning and the best at what they do I was told). They could schedule me in sometime in Sept (two months away) because they were so popular and booked. Cost- $650 all in, parts, labor, tune time. (costly, but I would be sure I was getting every last bit out of the bike’s performance I could get. They seemed cool and knowledgeable, but I really didnt need it to be the uber Scout Sixty, just running right and as close to best performance as it could be for the money I could drop on it).

Buy a DynoJet Power Vision;
-From DynoJet; Cost $399, access to their tune/map library included. I searched their online library and could not find an exact map for my setup. I believe they would have created a map specific for my setup for an additional charge or at least thats what I gleaned from a call with them and reviewing their website. (maybe it was free, but that didnt come across, apologies if I misunderstood)

-From FuelMoto; Cost $385, with coupon code, access to their library of tunes/maps, free support and customizing of any of their tunes/maps to tweak for my bikes setup. I called them to understand better their relationship reselling DynoJet products. The guy on the call was very helpful and answered all of my noob questions. When I asked what about 2 years from now and my bike had gotten really broken in with some miles behind it, would they continue to support it with a tune to the map for its “age”? The guy said absolutely, yes. For a cost, I asked? No for free! Really I asked? Of course, your our customer! Maybe it was the salesman talking but that response is what sold me. Cost and the confident promise of supporting me and the bike when I needed it. Now I am in my 50’s and not prone to being led around by my.. well it happens and I have been burned before, and it might seem naive for one my age who has been around, but I went with it.

The decision:
I bought the Power Vision from FuelMoto. I liked what I was hearing about support. I liked the price (even though I expected to hear a “hey honey whats this charge? in my near future). I liked that I wasn’t going to need an indepth install like I would with the Power Commander. I was on my own schedule. It seemed a simple enough solution. It felt right for me.

I hit submit payment. I eagerly awaited “standard processing and delivery time”. Intercepted the delivery when it arrived (away from inquisitive eyes) surprisingly quick. I followed the simple directions on how to hook up and download the bike info. I stored this on my laptop as the “Original Factory Map” (the bike came with the original exhaust and airbox, so this might be handy to save should I ever sell it). I uploaded the info on the FuelMoto site requesting my first map. I had already given my specific equipment setup but I also asked, if possible, to have a map for stock equipment, but tuned, sent to me. I hit submit and again waited. I didnt have to wait long; a response email showed up in my inbox in less than a day and contained both an improved map for my equipment and an improved map for the stock equipment I had stored. I downloaded onto my laptop, storing each in its on folder for future clarity. I went to the garage and followed the directions to upload my map. Simple enough. When completed, I was finally ready to see if this was all worth it. I flicked the starter and was greeted with the roar of a new bike. I breathed a sigh of relief, no engine codes, no warnings. The sound was smooth and strong, deeper, not as raspy and edgy as before. I liked it immediately. I hopped onto the bike ready for a neighborhood spin. I needed to know if the performance expectations were also there. It was a totally different bike. Acceleration was smoother. The sound richer. No decel popping. More torque. Wow was all I could think. A big ole grin on my face when I returned to the garage.

So that brings me to this morning. Ready for a ride and more testing. I am going to do some logging runs with the PV and gather some running data. I believe I can send that off to FuelMoto to review and tweak if they think it needs it. We will see what they think and how they respond. I am also looking forward to loading the log data into the DynoJet software and snoop about. I wont know what I am looking at but it looks cool and maybe I can learn something.

All in all, so far I am happy. The cost, my analysis, and the initial results seemingly have paid off.

Others experiences might vary. Others may have decided differently and maybe it worked for them. Great if it did! No two bikes or experiences are the same. The Dyno guy told me that he could line 20 stock same model bikes up and they would all need slightly different tunes and I believe him. But if I am above +90% of what I could get out of the bike with its optional equipment and not have any issues or warnings, then I am good with it.

Yes this was long. No I am obviously not a writer. No need to point out grammer and spelling thanks. I am however Irish and like to talk and tell a story, it goes with the DNA. Please dont troll. Share yes. Offer good advice. Tell your own story. But please dont troll.

I hope this helps out someone else no matter what their final decision.

Peace to all and safe riding!

·
Registered
393 Posts
cant beat the work craigb dose for the indian lineup over at fuelmoto it was the route i went on my bobber at first also. but when i had dean speed build my custom 2-1 exhaust i had a local dealer who has done a lot of scouts dyno tune my bike just so it was a one and done. i felt it was worth spending the money with the dealer to have a one and done affair plus i got to find out how much power i was actually putting to the rear wheel.

·
Bronze member
1,645 Posts
One thing i must point out. As a LONG time DynoJet dyno owner/operator and highly experienced Power Commander tuner the dyno shops statement " tune with data from three runs on their Dyno " makes NO SENSE as it would take a minimum 18 runs to completely go thru all the throttle positions in the PCV system, each throttle position.getting a baseline run and a "tuned" run as a minimum.
Fuel Moto and the PV3 is the way to go, good for you!

RACNRAY

Reactions: Tom603

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response.. it could have been very well my lack of understanding of what he was explaining to me.. so I dont want anyone to think he was steering me wrong.. nice guy.. trying to be helpful.. me .. old guy and a fish out of water.. lol.. it was a costly option for my needs..

·
Registered
66 Posts
YES THIS IS LONG, but its my story, please dont troll, just passing it along for someone else who might be in the same spot.. thx..

A week or so ago I posted questions about how to get my “new to me” 2017 Indian Scout Sixty tuned as it had arrived to me with 1800 miles and an upgraded Trask Air Filter and Trask Slip On Exhaust mods. I wanted to give an in depth update for those facing similar tuning needs.

It was clear after spending some time on the Scout that it needed an ECU flash; it was popping on decel, running hot and lean, and the pitch of the exhaust was sharp and scratchy.

I had just invested money in the Scout and not wanting to drop more money on fixes (read, my wife wouldnt understand, lol) but I also wanted to protect my investment and ensure it was running right. With only 1800 miles on it, I wanted to get it tuned for the long relationship I intend to have with it. I have/have owned other bikes but nothing modified to require a tuning.

I weighed the cost benefits of; installing a DynoJet Power Commander setup, getting the Scout dyno’ed, getting a DynoJet Power Vision, or getting the local Indian dealer to flash the ECU. This is what I found after doing my research:

My Local Indian dealers;
-Only flash Indian tunes/map. They have a stage 1 flash for their optional equipment and the base model flash. It includes things like EPA regs, rev limiting, and some suspicious limits it appears to ensure that the Sixty’s performance is harnessed enough to keep the Sixty’s bigger twin brother at the top of the stack for power responsiveness and driving. I am sure that is the sales pitch too. Cost- $250 for a new ECU “card” and $50 for reflash, $300 (after doing more research IDK what ECU card they were trying to sell me as I ultimately didnt seem to need one. Makes me wonder if I can trust them. The flash wouldnt match my installed non Indian equipment so would still not get all out of the bike and the equipment on it I could get and I would have all those pesky manufacturers required EPA limiters, ugh)

Local Dyno Shop;
-They would install a DynoJet Power Commander setup and tune with data from three runs on their Dyno. They are well known, have bikes being shipped to them from all over the country (as they were early leaders and partners with DynoJet from the beginning and the best at what they do I was told). They could schedule me in sometime in Sept (two months away) because they were so popular and booked. Cost- $650 all in, parts, labor, tune time. (costly, but I would be sure I was getting every last bit out of the bike’s performance I could get. They seemed cool and knowledgeable, but I really didnt need it to be the uber Scout Sixty, just running right and as close to best performance as it could be for the money I could drop on it).

Buy a DynoJet Power Vision;
-From DynoJet; Cost $399, access to their tune/map library included. I searched their online library and could not find an exact map for my setup. I believe they would have created a map specific for my setup for an additional charge or at least thats what I gleaned from a call with them and reviewing their website. (maybe it was free, but that didnt come across, apologies if I misunderstood)

-From FuelMoto; Cost $385, with coupon code, access to their library of tunes/maps, free support and customizing of any of their tunes/maps to tweak for my bikes setup. I called them to understand better their relationship reselling DynoJet products. The guy on the call was very helpful and answered all of my noob questions. When I asked what about 2 years from now and my bike had gotten really broken in with some miles behind it, would they continue to support it with a tune to the map for its “age”? The guy said absolutely, yes. For a cost, I asked? No for free! Really I asked? Of course, your our customer! Maybe it was the salesman talking but that response is what sold me. Cost and the confident promise of supporting me and the bike when I needed it. Now I am in my 50’s and not prone to being led around by my.. well it happens and I have been burned before, and it might seem naive for one my age who has been around, but I went with it.

The decision:
I bought the Power Vision from FuelMoto. I liked what I was hearing about support. I liked the price (even though I expected to hear a “hey honey whats this charge? in my near future). I liked that I wasn’t going to need an indepth install like I would with the Power Commander. I was on my own schedule. It seemed a simple enough solution. It felt right for me.

I hit submit payment. I eagerly awaited “standard processing and delivery time”. Intercepted the delivery when it arrived (away from inquisitive eyes) surprisingly quick. I followed the simple directions on how to hook up and download the bike info. I stored this on my laptop as the “Original Factory Map” (the bike came with the original exhaust and airbox, so this might be handy to save should I ever sell it). I uploaded the info on the FuelMoto site requesting my first map. I had already given my specific equipment setup but I also asked, if possible, to have a map for stock equipment, but tuned, sent to me. I hit submit and again waited. I didnt have to wait long; a response email showed up in my inbox in less than a day and contained both an improved map for my equipment and an improved map for the stock equipment I had stored. I downloaded onto my laptop, storing each in its on folder for future clarity. I went to the garage and followed the directions to upload my map. Simple enough. When completed, I was finally ready to see if this was all worth it. I flicked the starter and was greeted with the roar of a new bike. I breathed a sigh of relief, no engine codes, no warnings. The sound was smooth and strong, deeper, not as raspy and edgy as before. I liked it immediately. I hopped onto the bike ready for a neighborhood spin. I needed to know if the performance expectations were also there. It was a totally different bike. Acceleration was smoother. The sound richer. No decel popping. More torque. Wow was all I could think. A big ole grin on my face when I returned to the garage.

So that brings me to this morning. Ready for a ride and more testing. I am going to do some logging runs with the PV and gather some running data. I believe I can send that off to FuelMoto to review and tweak if they think it needs it. We will see what they think and how they respond. I am also looking forward to loading the log data into the DynoJet software and snoop about. I wont know what I am looking at but it looks cool and maybe I can learn something.

All in all, so far I am happy. The cost, my analysis, and the initial results seemingly have paid off.

Others experiences might vary. Others may have decided differently and maybe it worked for them. Great if it did! No two bikes or experiences are the same. The Dyno guy told me that he could line 20 stock same model bikes up and they would all need slightly different tunes and I believe him. But if I am above +90% of what I could get out of the bike with its optional equipment and not have any issues or warnings, then I am good with it.

Yes this was long. No I am obviously not a writer. No need to point out grammer and spelling thanks. I am however Irish and like to talk and tell a story, it goes with the DNA. Please dont troll. Share yes. Offer good advice. Tell your own story. But please dont troll.

I hope this helps out someone else no matter what their final decision.

Peace to all and safe riding!
Thanks for posting. I've decided my 2020 RM deserves a tune, so this info and your thought process was helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts