Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's going to be a long Weekend, this story has me longing for more!
When I get back to work Monday I’ll continue with the saga. All I have is my iPhone here at home and it is somewhat harder to work with than my nice desktop computer at work. Besides, my supervisor thinks I’m feverishly working on something important while I’m really working on this!

Bronze member
1,816 Posts
All in all sounds like a fun trip. I know all too well about FOD on the bike and my person. Something took out my headlight lens on a 2018 trip. Lost a passing lamp lens and took something to my left shin that bled profusely on this years trip. Yes I was wearing long armored pants. Crap on roads and stuff falling off vehicles is why I would never ride these days W/O a fairing. Taking something to the face that required stitches about 3 inches below my right eye in the 70s cured that. Looking forward to hearing more. Ride on.

18 Posts
When I get back to work Monday I’ll continue with the saga. All I have is my iPhone here at home and it is somewhat harder to work with than my nice desktop computer at work. Besides, my supervisor thinks I’m feverishly working on something important while I’m really working on this!
Well, let's hurry up. I need to read more!

Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Okie dokie y'all, I'm back.

Here's a few pix and descriptions that I forgot to mention earlier. So much for the chronological order now. Once I get these out the way I'll try to keeps things organized. Until I find something else that I missed that I want to share that is.

This was in the parking lot of the El Falcone restaurant where we ate breakfast after doing the Standing on the Corner in Winslow, Arizona thing that was right around the corner on Hwy 66. I was backing up and the rear tire went off the pavement into a graveled spot that was very unlevel. Needless to say that I dumped my ride. Good thing Brian and Philip was there to help me pick it up. The breakfast was really good too. I had grilled pork chops covered in green chili sauce, two eggs sunny side up, a homecooked biscuit and hash browns with a Coke Zero. I was happy.


This is me walking back to the parking lot after watching the sun set on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Little did I know of the coming cold mostly sleepless night that awaited me.


We stopped at a roadside scenic overlook view area and saw this reservoir, complete with a very large marina and all sorts of pleasure craft. It was an odd sight for being out in the desert. I think this was near Page, Arizona. It was in mid-afternoon after breaking camp at the Grand Canyon. We decided to dog it off early that day and get rooms, wash clothes and relax a bit. It's good to take a break on a long road trip.


More of the reservoir.


There's the dam that made it all possible.


While we were getting back on our bikes in the gravel parking lot (yes I was very careful to not dump my bike again), a car had pulled up and four cute Oriental girls started to pull out their picnic items. The had some sushi and either stir fry pork or beef stew meat over rice. Man that stuff smelled so good. I thought about trading some of my beef jerky and gummie bears for some of it but they'd probably wouldn't think that it would be a good trade. I can still smell it.

This was the sunset on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It was nice but like I said earlier, it was not near as breathtaking in my opinion as the bazillion stars I saw in the sky above campground while strolling around to warm up.







A bunch of cacti somewhere in Arizona. Philip took this pic. Kind of reminds me of the scene in Wild Hogs when the guys were pushing their bikes along the road to Madrid, NM after running out of gas a bit.


Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
One more pic of Forrest Gump Road on Forrest Gump Hill in Monument Valley, Utah. I really like that place.


Philip leading out, still in Monument Valley, Utah.


We stopped for some lunch in a place called Mexican Hat, Utah. Can't remember the name of the place we ate, but there are only two places to eat that allowed access to the dining room there and it was pretty dang good. I had the ribeye sammich covered on some sort of local fry bread covered with roasted green chilies, a huge pile fries and a Dr. Pepper. They didn't have any Coke products there. We ran across that a lot on this trip. No Coke, Pepsi....

After we walked out after eating, about 6-7 guys rode up on dirt bikes loaded with camping gear and stopped. They said that they were on day 7 of a 7 day riding/primitive camping trip in the area. They were so pumped up and excited about their experiences. We chatted with them for awhile before they went in to eat. I highly recommended the ribeye sammich to them.

Next stop was to see some formations called the Goosenecks. No doubt that many of y'all have seen these places in movies and other publications before. I've seen some of them in the old John Wayne movies, Ft. Apache in particular. I think in one scene of Ft. Apache filmed here, John Wayne killed a bottle of whisky and threw it down into the canyon, probably from this exact spot. Maybe not right where I was standing, but pretty close. Now I have to get the movie on Netflix and see where he was standing while filming the scene. Ft. Apache is a pretty good movie if you like pretty good movies.


More of the Goosenecks. Appropriately named that's for sure.


Next stop was at the Natural Bridges National Park. More cool sites to see there.


Kim doing the happy tourist thing.


Philip and I not getting as wrapped up in the moment as Kim is.


Brian saying "to hell with all that walking, I'll be right here when y'all get back."


A little background on the creation of the arches.


Cool looking formations.


Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
If y'all have noticed I haven't been putting what day it is when the pix were made. Things were starting to run together after awhile it seemed.

Here's a little recap and putting things in chronological order.

Day 1 - Baton Rouge to Lufkin, Texas (problems with my motorbike).
Day 2 - Lufkin to Tyler, Texas trying to fix the problem with my motorbike. UHaul'ed it to the Indian shop in Ft. Worth, Texas where the problems with my motorbike were fixed. Yay!
Day 3 - Crossed west Texas and into eastern New Mexico in the stifling heat. Frequent DQ stops saved the day. Spent the night in Artesia, NM.
Day 4 - Went to White Sands, NM and then made it to Silver City, NM.
Day 5 - Motored around the general area and spent another night in Silver City, NM.
Day 6 - Went to stand on the corner in Winslow, Arizona where I dumped my motorbike in the restaurant parking lot after breakfast.
Day 7 - After a long hot ride up central Arizona, we froze our tookuses off at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Always take a sleeping bag in the fall and wintertime....
Day 8 - Tooled around in northern Arizona and southern Utah before spending the night in Page, Arizona.
Day 9 - Rode to Forrest Gump Hill on Forrest Gump Road in Monument Valley, Utah. Spent the night in Blanding, Utah.

Okie dokie, we're caught up on what day it is and where we were on the road now. I think.

Day 10

We spent the night in Blanding, Utah. Met a couple of guys on a week long off road motorcycle trip who were staying in the same hotel as we were. Brian, Kim and Philip thought that such a trip would be a good thing, but I have no intentions nor inclinations for such activity. They talked off roading for awhile. I went to the room after a short visit with them to catch up my on post cards, reading and watching the weather. There was a hurricane bearing down on Louisiana by now and we were following it.

The next day we rode up Utah State Route 261. A small part of it's local name is the Moki Dugway. It's not only graveled, but it's chock full of twisties, curves, hairpin turns and tight spots for my Chief Vintage.

The graveled portion wasn't as tough getting up as I expected. The turns were a bit tight, and several RVs and trucks pulling trailers made it a bit interesting while passing. Good thing we were going uphill all the way instead of going downhill. That might have been a bit more dicey, especially in the turns. This a how it looks on MapQuest. I wasn't able to capture the whole map, so this will have to do. It gives you an idea of the area. If y'all are in this area, give the Moki Dugway a ride.


The approach to the Moki Dugway. The road goes makes a sharp left turn at the base of the escarpment, then doubles back in a hairpin turn before snaking it's way up to the top.


Another approach shot.


On the way up.


The road in the distance. Notice the switchbacks.


More nice vistas. Philip took these pix with a camera. I was concentrating on the road.


Me on the way up before Philip passed me. Notice that my load is much lighter since shipping my camping gear home. All I had was that yellow hi viz dry bag and a small ice chest on the rear rack. I always kept my Frogg Togg rain top tucked under the cargo nets for quick use. Much easier that way.


There was a small stretch that went downhill before turning sharply and going back uphill. Notice the vehicle just above Brian who was riding in front of me. That will give you an idea of what to expect.


Kim and I in the Monument Valley I believe. Kim is wearing her new Klim riding gear. I always wear some type of eyewear while riding with my full face helmet,. Sunglasses during the day and amber lens glasses in dim light conditions with the face shield up. The last few days I rode with the face shield down because I was getting windburn pretty bad.


We took a break at the top of the Moki Dugway for a few minutes. Before we saddled up and road off, a couple of Harley riders pulled up to me and asked how it was riding in the gravel. I told them that the gravel was fairly well packed and the only places it was loose was on the edges, and that it was not as challenging as I thought it would be, and that if I could make it on this Indian that they could make it on their Harleys. I did mention that I thought that it would be a degree more in difficulty going down than going up, and for them to take it slow and easy and they'd be at the bottom one way or another. They had a dead pan look on their faces the whole time I was talking to them.


Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Alright, this brings us to Day 11 now.

From here we traveled to this place called Newspaper Rock. Strange name for a rock, but it makes sense once you read about it. Here's the sign for it. Seems that for eons, first the Injuns and then the European settlers, then the American pioneers, then the American settles chiseled inscriptions on this dark looking rock for all to see. I guess it was named Newspaper Rock because it looked like people were documenting their activity for future generations to see as time went on.






There were many speculations on what they were trying to depict in these scratchings. Some thought that they were telling grand stories about giants and monsters and strange goings ons and such. Some tried to make sense of the messages, reading into the "stories" and coming to their own far fetched conclusions. I surmised that the Injuns (or maybe even cavemen) were smoking peyote and were high as hell while giggling and messaging, joking about how people in the future would be scratching their heads trying to figure out what the hell they were thinking while doing this. Makes just as much sense as the other theories if you think about it.

From Newspaper Rock we went to Canyonlands National Park. This place was just canyon after canyons after canyons. Aptly named though. Real pretty and interesting, but to tell you the truth I was getting my fill of canyons.


Lots of people were stopping and going out for walks in this area. The road made a big circle just off camera right.


This place would be a nice place to camp. It was like air conditioning near this open spot in the rocks. The wind was constantly whistling through there. No doubt it would be too cold to be up there come winter time.


This area looked like some place out of one of those el cheapo space B movies from the 50s. Of course there were plenty of places like that out here. Probably that's why I guess some of it looked familiar.


On the way out of Canyonlands.


Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
This brings us to Day 11 now. We motored up to Moab, Utah and stayed there for the night. Had a real nice dinner at a place called Zax Restaurant. It's on the main drag which is Main Street. Real nice place. I had a BLT with spinach and sprouts instead of lettuce with avocado on the same kind of fry bread that I had on that ribeye sammich in Mexican Hat. It packed with thick cut bacon, about the same thickness of the pork chops at Waffle House. Talk about good too. Had another big pile of fries and another Dr. Pepper. Oh yeah I was happy.

After we left the eating place, we went to the hotel and settled in. Dropped our gear then headed for the Arches National Park right outside of Moab. We got to see the sun go down out there. It was nice, but like I said earlier about sun downs I was not as captivated by it as the others. It was nice though. As the sun set on the skyline, some people were ooooo'ing and ahhhhh'ing. Meh. I jumped up on a rock and blurted out "and that's all for tonight's show folks, we'll do it again tomorrow and we'll have free beer and doughnuts for all" and then I started clapping and cheering. A few kids joined in then more people did then we all started laughing. I guess that I've been out in the sun too long by now.

On the way to see the sun go down on the arches.


There were several people having drinks in the parking lot of the hotel when we got back so we joined in. A couple there were on their way from Winter Park, Colorado to visit family in Venice Beach, California. They had been there for several hours before we got there so there was no way we'd catch up to them. The went to bed around 10 or so saying that they'd be rolling out for 0500 in the AM in that Jeep he pointed at. Better them than me. We seldom got going before 10 in the AM. The next morning we walked across the street to a diner for breakfast. The Jeep was gone, so I guess they had enough sleep before rolling. For breakfast I had two eggs sunny side up, hash browns, a great big biscuit slathered with white gravy and a Dr. Pepper. We got on the road for about 0930 or so.

Here's the arches.

The hole there looks like Africa I think. Maybe South America.


The sun's about down now.


There's some odd shaped formations in these parts.


A lot of people were sitting directly under the arch in the background. There were warning signs that rocks occasionally fall and to be careful, but they were just sitting there with no cares in the world. I walked under there and was looking up just in case a rock broke loose and fell. Didn't stay under there for very long though. Just didn't feel right.


Directional signs to the different arches along the walkway.


Kim and I hamming it up a bit.


Some people hiked out to this arch, but none of us did. It was a good bit further than it looks, maybe a half a mile or so. Looked like a tough walk, and I was satisfied to see it from a distance.


The sun had just went down in this pic. I thought that we'd be able to see it go down through that arch but no. Maybe from another angle, but now where we were. It looked good enough from here.


Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Now we're at Day 12. A grim decision was made over breakfast. At this point we'd be turning for home, so that means no going to the Bonneville Salt Flats to do the World's Fastest Indian thing. Man I really hated losing that stop, but we were running out of time on our trip. There's tons of things to see and not nearly enough time to see them all. Originally we had planned on making it as far as Yellowstone, but this was not to be either. More to see on our next trip(s) out this way I guess. We hooked a right and now it was east bound and down towards Colorado. Stopped at some more canyons along the way.

I don't know who those people are. They guy kept asking the girl to scoot further and further to the edge as he was taking pix. Maybe he was trying to dump her.


"That's the road we came up on"


It doesn't appear that Kim was at ease with the photo session so close to the edge. She was somewhat concerned with that big rock that her right foot was on breaking loose. When she took my pic in the same spot (above), I jumped on it with both feet, turned towards her and pointed to the road in the distance. The rock was secure. It's probably still there now.


Kim and I on the ledge.


Another view of the road in the bottom of the valley.


Kim posing again. Pretty close to the edge this time.


Philip has no reservations about getting close to the edge either.


Kim taking a pic of Brian taking a pic of Philip.


Not sure what kind of tree this is but there was a lot of them out there.


Kim was ready to roll first just about every time we stopped. Sometimes she just pulled out and left. I thought that was strange at first but she told me why she did that. Turns out that Brian and Philip will strike up an extended conversation with any and everyone at every stop along the way....leaving the hotel, leaving the eating places, gift shops, convenient stores, scenic overlooks you name it, if someone is there they will talk up a storm with them. Sometimes when no one else is there they'll get into lengthy conversations with each other. I mentioned to them that they could talk to each other on the Sena commo system so we could get underway. Kim said that they do that too. We both tune them out and listen to music.


Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
We stopped here for a bit of a rest and walked around to stretch our legs. The store was closed, but it provide an impromptu photo session for us. Not sure why they picked this place to pull over to, maybe it had a great big parking lot for us.

Notice in the bottom right corner there's a kid maybe 12 years old sitting on a 4 wheeler with a trailer hooked to it. He was just sitting there, so I asked him what he was doing. He said that he was waiting to pick up his siblings and cousins from the school bus when it gets there. They'd load up and he'd take them up the trail and home. I asked him why he wasn't on the school bus too since he obviously looked to be of school age. He said that he'd had enough of that learnin' business and decided that the educational program had nothing more to offer him, so he quit. I asked him if he really thought that that was such a good idea because school had much more to offer in the way of advancement. He said that "I can count, do numbers, read and write and I really don't need much more than that to be a good farmer". He continued in saying that he's about done with farming though. I asked him what they grew out here and he said alfalfa. I asked him now that he didn't want to go to school no more, and that he didn't want to be a farmer no more, what was he planning on being when he grew up. He said that as soon as he can do it he wants to drive trucks, not the cross country big rigs but the smaller trucks to run supplies and produce between farms and the markets. Sounds like he's got it all figured out and he's only 12 years old. I wished him good luck and we saddled up and hit the road again.


This was the bus stop at the far end of the parking lot.


This was our next stop a few miles down the road, the Bedrock Store in Bedrock, Colorado. I guess the girl at the cash register either didn't hear me or was tired of hearing it when I asked where the Flintstones lived and if Fred had a tab here. We loaded up on adult beverages since our supplies had dwindled down to perilously low and unacceptable levels. This place was very well stocked, in other words it had booze for days, and there was much rejoicing. I resupplied on copious amounts of Fireball, the Cinnamon Whisky. Now I've read that it's considered to be bad for internal consumption due to the fact that it has "excessive levels of propylene glycol," which is an ingredient in anti-freeze. We that explains why is doesn't freeze but I've been drinking it for awhile and haven't noticed any noticeable side effects so I will continue to imbibe on these little gems while motorbiking about. The don't take up much room in the ice chest which is a good thing. I do prefer draft beer, but beer takes up a lot of room in the saddle bags and the ice chest and they have a tendency to fizz up a bit while on the road. And the Fireballs taste pretty good too so that's that. I just put in a glass with some ice and sip it. I have shot them before, but that's when I normally didn't have enough time to really enjoy the moment. They're really good with a good stogie too. Sometimes I dip the drawing end of the stogie into the Fireball to give it that cinnamon flavor. Man it don't get not better than that.


Fireball, good stuff. Y'all should try some.


After a few hours of nice riding we arrived at our next stop in Ouray, Colorado. Ouray is a nice town, sort of a resort town feel to it. We stayed here at the Western Hotel. Its an old hotel, opened in 1892. Had a great fell to it. Creaking wood floors big ornate staircase, elaborate décor and finishing's, nice place. It appears that it would be haunted but the lady at the check in desk didn't mention it and looked off when I asked her if it was. The bathrooms were down the hall, one small men's room and one small women's room. I used the women's room a couple of times because someone was taking their sweet time in the men's room when I got there. Across the hall is a bigger bathroom with a great big clawfoot tub with a wrap around shower curtain and a huge pedestal sink. There was also a gas floor heater in there, unlike the two smaller bathroom across the hall. I imagine that nobody would take the newspaper in with them in there in the wintertime. There were no closets in the rooms either. Just some hooks to hang items on and a small chest of drawers. Still it was a pretty cool place to visit. I should say that it was a pretty neat place. It was cool in there though, but we were provided with plenty of warm blankets so the cool crisp mountain air didn't get all the way to our bones like it did on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.


This was the lobby. Really pretty place.


In the bottom right you can see a piece of a rug. Further to the right is a big couch with several chairs in the corner. The front door is off the bottom left corner of the pic. Anyway later that night we sat there and had a nice little happy hour after dinner. Several other guests at the hotel stopped by and chatted with us. We offered them some booze but they all declined politely. Except one guy, he was more than happy to be invited to our little happy hour. He asked where we were from, and when we said that we're from Louisiana he said that he should've known that. Turns out that he was the owner of the Western Motel, and he was happy to have our business.

The rest of the staircase.


We walked up the street to get a bite to eat. Not sure what the place was called, but it had outdoor dining so we took that option. I had the buffalo burger. It was a hamburger made with buffalo meat, not a burger made of chicken cooked in buffalo wing sauce, and it was pretty good I might add. Had a big pile of fries and several locally brewed micro brewskies. Maybe I had three, I don't know for sure. They went down pretty good, so maybe I had four.

While waiting to be seated, some local wildlife wandered down the street. There were several more that went by. They acted like they owned the place and was not one bit bothered by the tourists or the traffic.


The road looks like it has snow on it, but it doesn't. It's some sort of dusty gravel. All the streets that run off of Main Street are like this in Ouray. At least all of the streets we could see that ran off Main Street where we were did.

Looking up Main Street. I think this looking north. Whatever direction it is is the direction we went after checking out of the hotel to go to Silverton via the Million Dollar Highway, so maybe south?


This is Brian and Kim's room. Philip and I had each a single bed next door. I didn't take a picture of it.


Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
This is the saloon of the Western Hotel in Ouray. It's open only on the weekends. Looks like a place that I could get comfortable in while quaffing a few root beers. I could get thrown out of a place like that. The lady at the check in desk let us go walk through it to take some pix.


Nice artwork, fits the décor perfectly. Notice the female face on the floor.


That's a real nice mural there. I like the way the place was decorated. Normally dark blue and dark brown doesn't go well together, but in this case it blends well.


They even have a functioning wood stove in there too.


Day 12. On the way out of Ouray on the Million Dollar Highway. We were stopped for a few minutes due to road construction. Some say the reason the road is called the Million Dollar Highway was that it cost about a million dollars a mile to construct it. Another reason is because there is about a million dollars of gold dust mixed in with the fill dirt used during construction. Who knows. It is a very pretty drive though, regardless of how or where the name originated. Lots of curves and turns, but not very treacherous at all. Been through much worse on this trip, and this stretch of blacktop was a breeze. It was a bit nipply too, maybe 35-36F when we started, but it warmed up to the mid 50s later in the afternoon.


We stopped several times so Philip could play with his drone. It's out there droning around somewhere, you just can't see it. While I was looking down in the crevasse, I spotted a beaver dam.


See it? It's in the middle of the pic. Didn't see any beavers. Maybe they were all taking a nap in the beaver house.


We stopped at this hot springs place down the road a bit from the beaver dam. The water wasn't hot, more like luke warm than anything else. Kind of a weird looking formation ain't it?


Not sure where this pic was taken at. Maybe near Silverton or Durango, Colorado.


We rode to the Great Sand Dunes National Park, it contained the largest sand dunes on the North American continent. Not exactly what I expected. I was thinking the sand would be, sand colored you know. This stuff was brown. Those are sand dunes in the background.


Silver member
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The sand was almost as brown as my Muck Boots. It wasn't too terribly hard to walk around in, unlike the sand at Panama City Beach, Florida.


Us in the brown sand.

More brown sand dunes.


As you can tell by the long shadows, it was late in the day and the sun was going down. When we saddled up in the parking lot to head out, the low fuel light came on on my motorbike. Of course in my mind the nearest gas station was about 100 yards passed where I figured that I would run out of gas. The first gas station we passed just had to be closed. Bastards! We made it to safety in Blanca, Colorado. Stopped to eat dinner at Lu's Main Street Café. It was just after dark and was getting sort of uncomfortably cool. Not too cold yet, but uncomfortable because I did not put the Frogg Togg jacket over my armored mesh jacket for the ride from the sand dune place. It was a rather chilly 40 mile or so ride. For dinner, I had the broiled pork chops dinner. Can't remember what I had on the side, but whatever it was was really good as best as I can remember. Maybe a couple of veggies and some bread I think. I do remember having some coconut pie for dessert though, and it was very good. I washed it all down with some more Dr. Pepper. Just can't do the Pepsi thing.

There was a gas station right next door to Lu's, so I tanked up there.

We stayed further up the road in Ft. Garland, Colorado. They had only one room left and fortunately there were three beds in that room. We had drinks in the room before hitting the fart sack.

When we got up and rolled out, it was day 13.

69 Posts
So glad you were able to adapt and find a good dealer. My buddy and I were coming back from Arkansas on a recent road trip and he blew a tire. We managed to get it to a HD dealer, but it was Sunday and they weren't going to be open until Tuesday. I suggested he do the rent a trailer thing, but he stayed overnight and the dealer shop employee came in on their day off to fix it. Good stuff. I've since found a Facebook group called NABR - North American Biker Rescue. A group of folks where you can put out an SOS call and people will help you get to somewhere. Good to have resources when needed.
Thank you for sharing your travels with all of us. I have done the same thing on Facebook for everyone to see it. On my trip there were many people that are not in the Indian board who asked me to post my travels on Facebook. Follow me on Facebook at “willow rides Forever”. Thank you again
21 - 40 of 55 Posts