Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think I should throw black tips on my pipes? I changed the primary cover to black (was chrome) and it seems it might need this treatment for some balance. It's a 2016.

I also plan to add the gloss black second cover next to the new cover to set the whole front of the trans box to gloss.

dh.png

I'm pretty much a lone rider, so I don't really have anyone like you guys to ask around me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I say leave it. I can't stand fully blacked out bikes, they're boring as hell and have 0 character.
Thanks, spykez. I don't care for all black ones either. I'm saying just tips though ..the rest would still be chrome.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I say leave it. I can't stand fully blacked out bikes, they're boring as hell and have 0 character.
It's your bike, do what you want with it and forget what other people think. I like blacked out bikes and think they have character, the poster above does not, I think tassels and fringes look awful, but many on here love them.

In short, take no notice of opinions on here and do what you think looks good on your bike, do it for yourself not the masses.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's your bike, do what you want with it and forget what other people think. I like blacked out bikes and think they have character, the poster above does not, I think tassels and fringes look awful, but many on here love them.

In short, take no notice of opinions on here and do what you think looks good on your bike, do it for yourself not the masses.
Thanks. I'm really on the fence though and could use some advice from y'all fellas. Seems at least you don't see anything shocking with the black primary cover and that is good. :cool:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Black!

This is it in touring mode.
View attachment 597303
That's the chrome one (with the Indian head) and what's kinda funny is if you look, you have got the complete inversion of my setup - you have a chrome primary, chrome billet boards, and black pipe. Looks good, but then my thread would ask if I need chrome tips, in your case.

Lol. 👍

·
Registered
460 Posts
I thought you were referring to the whole primary cover not just the derby cover (HD Term), but as mentioned they are our bikes so we can do what we want to our taste. But as for chrome tips on a black exhaust, thats a no for me:LOL:

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The stock Scout pipes are chrome with black tips. Sometimes the contrast gives a bit of definition that looks good on the bike.

If you are on the fence about it you could spray them with Plastidip and peel it off if you decide you prefer the chrome after all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The stock Scout pipes are chrome with black tips. Sometimes the contrast gives a bit of definition that looks good on the bike.

If you are on the fence about it you could spray them with Plastidip and peel it off if you decide you prefer the chrome after all.

View attachment 597345
That looks really nice on your bike for sure. Not a bad idea on the temp black too you suggested.

Here's mine after I did the primary panel today. Yes, still on the fence but I don't have much of a problem just how it is now.

20200711_185922.jpg

20200711_190015.jpg

Before I did this:

20200608_101129.png

·
Bronze member
1,461 Posts
Do you guys think I should throw black tips on my pipes? I changed the primary cover to black (was chrome) and it seems it might need this treatment for some balance. It's a 2016.

I also plan to add the gloss black second cover next to the new cover to set the whole front of the trans box to gloss.

View attachment 597293

I'm pretty much a lone rider, so I don't really have anyone like you guys to ask around me.

Thanks.
While I do agree with other people who say go with what please you I do understand that you're asking for opinions and here is mine...

If you look at the muffler... look about the muffler and you've got the semi circle of silver on the rear mudguard, it ends just above the exhaust tip

it completes a whole feature of chrome, if you put a black tip on the exhaust and it will spoil that completion so I vote to leave as it is.

if you're not sure, most of the auto hardware places sell spray on vinyl
take the tips off spray them black put them back on if you like it leave it (go buy the proper ones) if you don't you peel it off and forget about it.
about 14.95 (AU) a can I think

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While I do agree with other people who say go with what please you I do understand that you're asking for opinions and here is mine...

If you look at the muffler... look about the muffler and you've got the semi circle of silver on the rear mudguard, it ends just above the exhaust tip

it completes a whole feature of chrome, if you put a black tip on the exhaust and it will spoil that completion so I vote to leave as it is.

if you're not sure, most of the auto hardware places sell spray on vinyl
take the tips off spray them black put them back on if you like it leave it (go buy the proper ones) if you don't you peel it off and forget about it.
about 14.95 (AU) a can I think
Thanks a lot for that ..detailed analysis. Those are kinda the things I see too so it can be nerve-racking. That circle does indeed fall right into it nicely as it is.

·
Registered
250 Posts

View attachment 597293

Thanks.
Nice bike, but I like chrome, and shiny things. I would leave it.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
That looks really nice on your bike for sure. Not a bad idea on the temp black too you suggested.
That's not my Scout, just a random pic. My bike's a Springfield DH with stage 1 pipes and slash cut six shooter tips. The tips give the definition to the end of my pipes that the round tips on your pipes don't. Plus, the saddlebags make the whole thing look different.

How about spray one side only and see how you feel about it in a few weeks?
Or you could set up a challenge with riding mates, whoever buys you the most beer over the next month gets to choose the end result. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Little bit of chrome makes the bike sexy in my eyes...considering it is a retro style bike nothing says retro better than some chrome

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
I think it looks good the way it is, but can see how putting some black on the back of the pipes could tie everything in together. Here's what your bike would look like with the black tips.

If it were mine, I think I'd pass on the black tips. But maybe get some high temp paint and fill in the words on the rinehart name on the tips. Would give it a little nuance of tie in without being too much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts