Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always thought the headlight at 5 point something inches is too small, the clear lens too modern, the blinkers too big and shiny and the mirrors, well, close to useless. I got parts a couple weeks ago and tonight my pillion messed around with it. I like the results so far. Stock First. Sorry about the bad photos (he still uses a BlackBerry).

image.jpg
image.jpg

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He is overthinking the bracket to mount the new light. This is made out of wood, and he'll try to simplify it when he goes,to steel.

image.jpg

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The electrical work is piece of cake. The new light has the same connection as the stock one. The leads to the nightlight will be terminated.

Next steps:

1. Construct a metal bracket, powdercoat black
2. Make a 2" opening in the back of the new light to stuff the loom. Use OEM gasket
3. Figure out the blinkers
4. Ride. It's going to go up to the mid sixties this weekend.

If anyone is interested in more details, ask here or send a message. Same if you want a bracket.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Interesting mods. Look forward to seeing the new headlight after you get it mounted with the new bracket. I do prefer the stock mirrors though, I just put on some extensions. You may have mentioned already, but what plans do you have for the turn signals, or are they staying off?

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Must agree, the stock headlamp just doesn't do the bike justice!!

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting mods. Look forward to seeing the new headlight after you get it mounted with the new bracket. I do prefer the stock mirrors though, I just put on some extensions. You may have mentioned already, but what plans do you have for the turn signals, or are they staying off?
Mirrors - I ordered some extensions, and I'll put those on with the stock mirrors. These came off an old Ducati, luckily metric...

Re blinkers, I got some tiny bright ones and a much slimmer mounting brackets. Ran out of time tonight. Might stick with stock or find a better quality, smaller bullet style. Got to see it with my own eyes on the bike to decide.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Re blinkers, I got some tiny bright ones and a much slimmer mounting brackets. Ran out of time tonight. Might stick with stock or find a better quality, smaller bullet style. Got to see it with my own eyes on the bike to decide.
Sounds good, look forward to seeing what you do with them.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
A different angle. The new bracket will move the light back about an inch so it's less pronounced.
Awesome Meggie, :cool: going to follow your thread and when it is completed let us all know the parts and cost!
I'm very interested in the headlight conversion part and your buds metal mount he is making. :D

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Definitely like your Ideas with the Headlight for sure .. Possibly the Turn signals as well when see them ..

·
10,006 Posts
Ronnie asked about the loom that goes into the stock light, here is a picture.
Thanks once again Meggie! It looks like the OEM headlight is FULL.

I may have to re-figure my choice of headlight modulators to use inside the headlight if I keep the original headlight.

I am a very staunch believer in headlight modulators and will not go long without having one on my bikes. :D:p

I got my first one in 1982 on my new Aspencade and know the visual safety effect of having them.
A long line of motorcycles I have owned and equipped with modulators has only intensified my belief in them!

Do you know if the large led headlight accessory offered for the bigger Indians will fit or can be altered to fit the Scout?
I admit that I am not familiar on the mounting differences in the different models of Indians! :confused:

If they would fit, it would kill two stones for me.... the larger LED powered headlight and room to fit a modulator!
Happy, happy, happy!

·
10,006 Posts
Do you know if the large led headlight accessory offered for the bigger Indians will fit or can be altered to fit the Scout?
I admit that I am not familiar on the mounting differences in the different models of Indians! :confused:
Never mind! I went and looked up on the parts fiche and they are very different! :(

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks once again Meggie! It looks like the OEM headlight is FULL.

I may have to re-figure my choice of headlight modulators to use inside the headlight if I keep the original headlight.

I am a very staunch believer in headlight modulators and will not go long without having one on my bikes. :D:p

I got my first one in 1982 on my new Aspencade and know the visual safety effect of having them.
A long line of motorcycles I have owned and equipped with modulators has only intensified my belief in them!

If they would fit, it would kill two stones for me.... the larger LED powered headlight and room to fit a modulator!
Happy, happy, happy!
View attachment 5125
Ronnie, post or send me a picture of the modulator and dimensions. The bucket on the new light I put on is far larger, so it might fit that. There really isn't any more room in the original bucket, But I am sure you can build a little bracket to fit under the lower triple-tree, it's pretty wide and spacious and there is already a bolt in place (holding the headlight bracket).

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never mind! I went and looked up on the parts fiche and they are very different! :(
See Bobby T's post for a LED bulb swap. Seems like a no brainier assuming there is enough cooling in there. I'm watching that thread to see whether it works longer term then I plan to make the switch as well.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A couple of you asked about the new headlight. It is some generic brand sold on Dime City here: 6.5" Satin Black Buffalo Style Headlight | Buffalo Style Bobber Chopper Headlight

It doesn't fit out of the box, some simple bracketry necessary. I am sure you can find one on Paughco or elsewhere, but all you need is a grinder, sander and a drill to make your own. Also, the bucket doesn't have an opening for the loom, so you have to make one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
A couple of you asked about the new headlight. It is some generic brand sold on Dime City here: 6.5" Satin Black Buffalo Style Headlight | Buffalo Style Bobber Chopper Headlight

It doesn't fit out of the box, some simple bracketry necessary. I am sure you can find one on Paughco or elsewhere, but all you need is a grinder, sander and a drill to make your own. Also, the bucket doesn't have an opening for the loom, so you have to make one.
Thanks Meggie. The style is right and bracket and opening look easy. One of several perfect winter projects on the Scout while I wait out the winter here.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts