Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Hope everyone had a safe New Year. Since I had the week off, i decided to do a couple of mods. First, my overall goal is to turn Cloud into a sort of Sport Chief (think original Super Glide) with a vintage look. Now, since no Chief came with "twice pipes", I knew i needed a true 2 into 1 exhaust like the Super Glide. Since no one makes one, currently, I decided to build a quick one and see how it sounded. As luck would have it, the sun came out today, finally, and i went for a putt. I already had the Stage 1s with the modified "cat" and now with both exhaust pulses going thru just one muffler, the sound is a lot crisper and a little louder (really barks on acceleration). This is the way an old Indian should sound.

Notice anything missing?

Already looks sportier.

Now, while I had the exhaust off, i was able to remove the primary sprocket cover. Since the cover is supposed to represent the front part of the belt (chain) cover, it should be the same color. So i took it to the powder coater and had it done in gloss black. i also added chrome allen head bolts for a little pizzazz

Now that is more like it: the motor really pops out now.

Also, at the 17,000 mile mark, I had to replace the rear tire. As you can tell, I like the black-wall look. Only problem was, I did not like the low-profile look of the Chieftain size tire: 180/60-16. Looked too sport bike for me. So, after a little research, I found the " old V-Rod" came with a 180/70-16: perfect. I installed a Bridgestone radial and really like it.

I really like the "less-is-more" look.

Next is the front end. Anyone know of someone manufacturing raked triple trees for the Chief yet?

the Saga continues.........

·
Registered
638 Posts
Real nice looking bike and a nice new twist on mods posted here. I put Pirelli night dragon blackwalls on after my rear whitewall browned and these meet the manufacturer specs and they run nice. Now we need to hear that dog bark!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Great thanks, that's was my gripe too, just needed to be painted body color
Chief pic (2).JPG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the temperature was 30 degrees this morning; however, the sun was shining so i went for a ride. the sound is just what i wanted especially, on acceleration. i made a recording when I got back home: the microphones on these cameras just can't capture the true sound. Have a listen. (Hope this works.)

Idle sounds great

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Well, the temperature was 30 degrees this morning; however, the sun was shining so i went for a ride. the sound is just what i wanted especially, on acceleration. i made a recording when I got back home: the microphones on these cameras just can't capture the true sound. Have a listen. (Hope this works.)

Idle sounds great
Sounds really good :)

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
Looks nice, clean!! What about the front turn signals and State inspection requirements?

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Say PissPot. Are you the guy that installed LED turn signals on the fork after removing the stock lights. Same clean front end look. The LEDs are barely visible, attached to the upper fork tube. Photo below:
Very Clean Classic-1.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys,

Yeah, that is my bike, I used 6-count LED stick-on strips. They are barely noticeable:

Hidden really well.

yet they show up well when needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, a couple of more changes. to start off, i painted the ends of the engine fins: now the push rod tubes and the Thunder air cleaner really stand out. i also just finished modifying the dash. First, i had it gloss black powder coated and stripped the chrome from the Dell power button. Went for a ride today and i really like the new look. The gauges are now the focal point. Speaking of gauges, the gas gauge position has really bothered me and it had to be fixed. Since it is a standard 2.062" gauge, i found some AutoMeter angle rings. Covered one in filler primer, slapped some gloss black paint on it, modified the "U" mount bracket and mounted it. Now the gauge is angled right at me and the low fuel light is easily spotted.

Some photos.

The new rider's view of the gas gauge.

What I used for the gas gauge.

Well, that is all for now. Until the next mods. :cool:

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
I am so in love with that bike! I am going to do much the same to my Vintage. Thanks PissPot!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am so in love with that bike! I am going to do much the same to my Vintage. Thanks PissPot!
Thanks man, we must have the same style. Post up some pics when you get started.

matte silver instead of shiney chrome for the cylinder covers???
That is the plan: flat aluminum powder coat. That will just have to wait until i feel like dropping the motor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts