Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously posted a link to the post, but the forum gods deleted it. Someone was complaining about your horns, and the customer service. You might want to PM the poster to resolve the issue. My experience with you guys is outstanding. Not sure where the ball was dropped, but I know you guys are much better than that.
Thanx!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I'm sure that your post will be deleted soon also. The forum owners allow paying vendors to moderate their own sections including deleting posts they don't like. Rivco definitely don't like anything that they view as negative and will "clean up" their section of the forum. I bought a set of their horns, never did sound right and quit working completely after a while. I tried to fix them, as quality air horns have replaceable diaphragms, but Rivco does not use quality parts here. The diaphragm covers are crimped on and cannot be removed without destroying them. The diaphragms are thin brass (one of mine was cracked). They would be easy to replace if the sound units were bolted together instead of crimped. For the top shelf price Rivco charges, they certainly could be using better quality parts. I didn't even try to contact them about it, since my experience with them on other matters was not pleasant in the end. (I was the first one to install one of their trailer hitches on a Classic/Vintage and discovered that they didn't know about the different spool sizes. I thought I was working WITH them by providing feedback for product improvement, they seem to have thought that I was JUST BITCHING and got rather insulting about the whole thing.) Lesson learned on my part.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that your post will be deleted soon also. The forum owners allow paying vendors to moderate their own sections including deleting posts they don't like. Rivco definitely don't like anything that they view as negative and will "clean up" their section of the forum. I bought a set of their horns, never did sound right and quit working completely after a while. I tried to fix them, as quality air horns have replaceable diaphragms, but Rivco does not use quality parts here. The diaphragm covers are crimped on and cannot be removed without destroying them. The diaphragms are thin brass (one of mine was cracked). They would be easy to replace if the sound units were bolted together instead of crimped. For the top shelf price Rivco charges, they certainly could be using better quality parts. I didn't even try to contact them about it, since my experience with them on other matters was not pleasant in the end. (I was the first one to install one of their trailer hitches on a Classic/Vintage and discovered that they didn't know about the different spool sizes. I thought I was working WITH them by providing feedback for product improvement, they seem to have thought that I was JUST BITCHING and got rather insulting about the whole thing.) Lesson learned on my part.
I was one of the first to install the horns on my Chief. I'm not sure what happened with your set. I use mine a lot, living in South Florida, waking up the blue hairs and foreign drivers pulling out in front of me. Two years since the install and they have never failed me. My only complaint is regarding a stronger air supply, but the area where the compressor resides is limited, so they did the best that they could for the space available.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I was one of the first to install the horns on my Chief. I'm not sure what happened with your set. I use mine a lot, living in South Florida, waking up the blue hairs and foreign drivers pulling out in front of me. Two years since the install and they have never failed me. My only complaint is regarding a stronger air supply, but the area where the compressor resides is limited, so they did the best that they could for the space available.
What happened with mine is very common with air horns (I deal with them on semis regularly). They work by causing a diaphragm to vibrate and the vibration can crack that diaphragm. Good quality horns are built with this in mind and have replaceable diaphragms. Most quality air horns can also be tuned to a certain extent, by either a screw or by adjusting the horn depth in the body. These have none of those features, and are just cheap disposable horns. The compressor is nothing but a common off the shelf item also, identical to the compressor found in a WOLO or similar air horn, nothing special there. The only bespoke part in the whole thing is the bracket, which won't allow fitting any other horns that I could find. As long as they work and sound good to you, it's OK. I just don't think the quality of the parts used justifies the price. My opinion.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I previously posted a link to the post, but the forum gods deleted it. Someone was complaining about your horns, and the customer service. You might want to PM the poster to resolve the issue. My experience with you guys is outstanding. Not sure where the ball was dropped, but I know you guys are much better than that.
Thanx!
Best way to get to a vendor is a DM, which sends them an email. Posting on their space will only be noticed if they monitor it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts