Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is a question for the smarter riders than I. What happens in the rain with those open performance A/C's such as the 1 being offered by Indian?? Does water get in? Long term effects? Living in South Florida the chances are good I will get caught in a monsoon at some point. Thank you in advance.

·
Rider
455 Posts
Funny you should ask. Just had the Indian A/C installed a week ago and road this weekend and wouldn't you know it we got caught in some pretty heavy rain. No problem at all. Ran through the rain until we stopped at the place we were going top have lunch. The bike sat out in the rain while we ate. It stopped raining before we left the restaurant to head home. Everything all good.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've run several bikes with an open element air cleaner, and one car. Never had a problem even in the most torrential downpours. I always kept the element decently oiled.

What I worried about was parking a bike out in the rain with a right side air cleaner. With the bike sitting on the kickstand it would be easier for water to enter the intake and possibly enter the cylinder causing hydrostatic lock. Never had a problem though, and the Indian intake is smartly on the left side. Still waiting for my Indian A/C to arrive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I too just had the Indian A/C installed by my dealer and specifically asked about riding in the rain, which I try not to do. I forgot what the tech specifically said, but said it wouldn't be a problem. It is well made though.

·
Founding member
568 Posts
I had a model a coupe that I ran mostly with the hood off. 327 tri-power with K&N's, ran best in the cold and rain.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took my airbox, top and bottom, off my '99 V92C very early on. It has 56,000 miles on it with a K&N air filter. No problems from rain.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I too am concerned about purchasing new air cleaner for that reason. On the Harley CVO's which has a partially exposed air filter element, they provide a sock/cover to put over it when riding in heavy rain. I questioned the service dept at my local Indian dealer, and they were unable to give a definitive answer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I ran an open air filter on my Roadstar the entire time that I had it. The rain sock that they provide is great for catching bugs, it is much easier to clean them from the sock than to try to get them out of the air filter pleats. Never an issue riding in hard rain. I learned to cover it with a large ziplock bag when washing the bike though. If I forgot, it would run like crap until it got all of the water off of the filter.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
K & N sells a rain sock for the round filters, I don't know if they make one for the teardrop a/c ,but I know some of you Suzie homemaker types could sew 2 together to make yer sock......

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've run several open filters over the years...some had socks. I stopped using them as it didn't seem to matter. I've ridden through some massive rain for several hours going x-country (Utah specifically)...never a problem.

Reactions: harry

·
Founding member
1,021 Posts
Good to know. I've always wondered that myself. I would think that having the AC on the left side should be better than having one on the right side if the bike is on the kickstand in a rain.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If your worried about I believe Ziplock makes baggies in a variety of sizes. Or Walmart sometimes offers plastic bags with a purchase.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Use your wife's or girlfriend's panty hose, just pull it over AC and tie off the extra for a nice snug fit.

---
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
2015 Blue and Ivory Chieftain

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
I ran my open K&N in the rain today for 300 miles.for All but the last half hour varied from mist to downpour. No problems whatsoever.
Riding in the pouring rain with a performance AC is like "cheap" water injection that the performance whores pay big bucks for. Just roll on the throttle hard……with your bike going forward and the rain coming DOWN, you'll be good!!![banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead]

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have the S&S a/c with a wide open filter and I also have no problems. I asked the S&S folks about the sock and they make one but see no reason why anyone would spend the money..... If I pressure wash the bike I will sometimes put a plastic bag over the filter.....

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ok here is a question for the smarter riders than I. What happens in the rain with those open performance A/C's such as the 1 being offered by Indian?? Does water get in? Long term effects? Living in South Florida the chances are good I will get caught in a monsoon at some point. Thank you in advance.
I live in Miami, FL and have had the Thunder Mfg horizontal teardrop open A/C for over a year on my 2014 Vintage. This past June I rode from Miami to Fairbanks, Alaska and back and had several days of heavy rain. No problem with the open A/C at all. On my last day of the trip I hit rain from Gainesville, FL to Palm Beach County lasting about 4 hours. It was literally the heaviest rain I have ever been in my life, and I have lived in Miami since 1946. Traffic on the Turnpike was slowed to 40 mph at times because of the rain. Again the Vintage never missed a beat. My experience tells me the open type A/C's have zero problem with rain no matter how hard.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have the Indian Big Sucker, and went thru a rain storm last summer. The kind of storm that's red on a radar. It was raining so hard cars were pulling off the road. The Chieftain didn't skip a beat. it rained the whole day; on and off, but I was two states from home and was determined to get there. No problem in the rain all day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts