Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to alll... im in a pickle and i need feedback plz ...

Im a 43 yr old man that resides in Montreal,Quebec and unfortunately, its not the best place for a motorcycle enthusiast such as myself, simply because it gets cold and snowy very quick after summer , wich lets say we r lucky if we get a good 3 months of great weather to ride . Having said that , ive decided to finally ,after much procrastination, get my motorcycle licence in 2018 but before doing that i was dead set on a Harley Davidson because all my rider friends ride JUST that ...BUT , the day i saw the indian scout bobber, i was hooked.. so hooked that i lost my deposit on the Harley-Davidson and bought the bobber without hesitation, without even riding prior and without a licence.. basically i bought the bike blindly

I bought the 2018 Indian scout bobber at a certified Indian dealership in May 2018 and it was the best decision ive made UNTIL, i rode off the lot and noticed something wasn’t right... i didn’t know to what degree, but it was .
I noticed that the engine was slightly knocking and my check engine light appeared often on my drive home from the dealership.
I made nothing much of it thinking its a NEW BIKE with zero kilometres on the odometer.
But my rider friends told me that wasn’t normal so i called the dealership and scheduled an appointment and brought the bike in and found out that one of the 2 oil pumps was defective and so it was causing the problem. The dealership fixed it with no problems other than keeping it for 3 weeks. I was happy to get the bike back and after riding it another month my check engine light reappeared only to say that it was “HOT”, i checked the manual and it said that it was overheating..
I found that strange as well so i once again scheduled an appointment and found out that the thermometer gauge was defective and wasn’t allowing the fan to cool off the engine .. Stunned as i was , they changed it and took 2 weeks for that to be solved .
The following summer ,2019 , i had a problem with the gearbox , my gears weren’t going in properly and often had a huge problem with finding neutral.
Brought back the bike to have it fixed , and the dealership did fix it .
Now summer 2020, i have the misfortunes, the bike is overheating again ( same problem as before) and gearbox problem repeating itself again .

Im writing outta desperation because i feel like i was sold a “lemon “ AS A FIRST MOTORCYCLE . Im disappointed in this experience with INDIAN MOTORCYCLE / POLARIS venture i embarked on .
Its a 22,000$ bike with tax and extended warranty and i feel like i have been robbed of my euphoria of being a rider , i dint feel safe anymore. my wife , family and especially my circle of riders can’t believe this is all happening on a NEW bike , within 2 yrs ... i have 6800km on the odometer today and most is done on the highway.
its been back and forth to and from the dealer for problems and i feel like i have a rebuilt engine , not what the original engine was supposed to be , what Indian is all about , a great ride , great engine .

I love the Indian scout bobber, i fell in love at first glance , but im not sure this is what INDIAN wants a rider to experience and to keep him with an Indian , especially a first time rider .

I would like to add that the dealership hasn’t done anything for me other than fix the problem that occurred, and it doesn’t feel good to know that they don’t have my best interest.
I know ,by law, they must fix the problem on the bike before even reporting it as a “problem “ but how many times will this happen ?
I don’t feel like i can plan getaways with others because im scared that i can be stuck with an unexpected problem on the road .

U can communicate with me if u have any questions .....im not expecting anything in return other than to be heard , and if someone wants to do something about it , then id be great full .

·
Rider
1,177 Posts
That truly dies suck. Every company puts out the occasional lemon. Unfortunate it should happen to you, when Indian is usually so good. Have you contacted
The Canadian version of USA Lemon laws?
You don’t want to hear this but my experience with lemons (not Indian lemons, but even so) is that they will always be problems. Sell it, trade it, or whatever As soon as you can. (Try having camvap resolve it first. But then sell it is my two cents).

·
174 Posts
Sad story, Sounds like a girl I fell in love with a long time ago and had to divorce a second time after I realized she really was a lemon and not worth fixing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That sucks man! Unfortunately all manufacturers are going to have lemons every once in awhile. Sorry that it happened to you! I actually purchased an brand new scout (in 2018) that had a bad fuel pump. I was about an hour from the dealership when it died on the side of the road. The dealership was their right away and gave me a ride home. They swapped out the old fuel pump within a day or two after the event. They didn’t have any in stock so they took it off another bike. So I guess my experience has been above average as far as customer service goes. The bike road great after that, I now own a SF dark horse (great bike). All in all I would think the local dealership would try to solve this issue and make it right...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts