Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put 944 miles on my Indian Chief Vintage in the last two days. All I can say is awesome. The bike performed flawlessly and the ride was nice and smooth. Anyone who is on the fence about buying one of these should just go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't go anywhere specifically, just rode from Houston, TX to South Mississippi Via I-10, had my 500 Mile service done in Hattiesburg and headed back to Houston through the middle of Louisiana. I just wanted to get the bike broken properly so I could ride it like I stole it.

·
Founding member
1,013 Posts
Cool Leepeter. I just got back from a ride to Sturgis on my Chieftain and I know how you feel. If you're up for pleasant rides, and it seems like you are, and if the big, multi branded dealers aren't doing it for you, try Gregory Polaris - Indian of Little Rock. They are great, seriously. I found them because they were the closest dealer when I bought last August. Rob Gregory, the owner, is a great guy and he walks the talk. It's a nice 480 mile ride up 59 through East Texas and WELL worth it. He's only a phone call away too. Ride safe.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So, can I assume, from what I am reading here, that the stock Indian saddles are comfortable for the long haul? How does it compare to stock Harley seats. I've never owned a Harley but several people I ride with do and after an hour and a half to two hours they need to get off the bike. My Kawi Vulcan 1600 Classic seat was comfortable all day long but for my wife's sake I put on a Mustang set-up and the rider's seat wasn't as comfortable. If any of you have been on Mustangs before, how does the Indian saddle compare to the Mustang?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I put Mustangs on my last two Stars and loved them. I'll be seat testing as many Indian seats as I possibly can this weekend while the demo truck is in town. I'll let you know my (short ride) opinion of them next week sometime.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dan and Auto,

Thanks for the re-direct to the seat thread, Dan. Don't get me wrong......I'm not dissing the Mustang. I'm really quite happy with it, but I've never had a more comfortable seat than the stock Kawi seat. Plus, the rider backrest on the Mustang is a back-saver on my long cross-country or all-day rides, and a perfect height for me. When my new 2015 "Vinnie" comes in and my wife no longer needs the Mustang, I may just keep my Kawi and put the stock seat back on it and use it for just local rides, preserving the miles on the Indian for the serious roading.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Every Kawi I've owned had very good seats. The stock Star seats, on the other hand, suck. Big time. My neighbor's son just bought a Star 1100 much like mine, and I took it for a short ride a few weeks ago. It reminded me fully why I put the Mustang on. And, yeah, the rider backrest is golden! I've done several 600+ mile days with little to no back pain, which is really surprising to me since my lower back is pretty messed up to begin with.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,755 Posts
Dan and Auto,

Thanks for the re-direct to the seat thread, Dan. Don't get me wrong......I'm not dissing the Mustang. I'm really quite happy with it, but I've never had a more comfortable seat than the stock Kawi seat. Plus, the rider backrest on the Mustang is a back-saver on my long cross-country or all-day rides, and a perfect height for me. When my new 2015 "Vinnie" comes in and my wife no longer needs the Mustang, I may just keep my Kawi and put the stock seat back on it and use it for just local rides, preserving the miles on the Indian for the serious roading.
That's what I said about my Harley. "I'll keep both and ride the HD for fun and the Indian for longer rides." Then I rode the Chieftain and never wanted to even sit on my Heritage again.
So, good luck with that. I predict that your Kawasaki (and nothing bad intended towards it) will gather dust and be your "loaner" bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts