Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

91 vs 94 Octane

5229 38
I have a gas station near me that sells 94 Octane. This is what I normally run in my Vintage. Was out on a long ride and had to fill up with 91. There was a noticeable difference. I was getting detonation and surging after about 15 minutes of riding.

Burned that tank and put the 94 back it in and that seems to have solved the problem. If you can find 94 Octane fuel in your area give it a try. It seems to work for me. Well worth the few extra cents IMO.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Bronze member
2,848 Posts
Can't get 94 out here but I see those octane boosters at stores all the time, not sure about throwing one in a motorcycle though

· Banned
5,319 Posts
I noticed due to elevation the differences in octane between the mountains in AZ where I have a house and my other place in Tampa. Less out west but seems to be OK. Even really less in Flagstaff up the road where its almost 7,000 feet.

You can use Outlaw Octane Booster but measure it out, Be realistic here. Ethanol is OK as long as its turned over and not sitting for half a year in a tank or so. These fuel systems and injectors are designed to run on ethanol and this is not like some new space age fuel/gas being introduced. Yeah.............sure, run straight gas if you can find it and its fresh and turned over quickly. But ethanol is OK for 99% of us here.

· Bronze member
3,542 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news,but have drove a truck for awhile,and lot of new drivers out there and from different countries as well.
To fill the tanks at a gas station, there are tags with what grade fuel connects where.
It's up to the driver and his paperwork to figure out which hose goes where.
Now put that driver under dot regulations,and only getting paid by miles driven.
You can see where those little tags aren't the most important part of the job.

· Registered
822 Posts
93 octane here in Florida. Still get some pinging under load. Uses Lucas and it quieted down when it was cooler. Now, in the heat, still get pinging. Want to try ethanol free, but unsure because it is a lower octane

· Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster
939 Posts
93 octane here in Florida. Still get some pinging under load. Uses Lucas and it quieted down when it was cooler. Now, in the heat, still get pinging. Want to try ethanol free, but unsure because it is a lower octane
i don’t need 93/94 octane on my 120 Stroker, @CraigB1960 has tuned the bike and there’s no pinging at all? What mods have you done to your bike? Factory tune?

· Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster
939 Posts
Easy, purchase the Advanced Remote Tuning and PV3 through Fuel Moto. They’ll send the details!

I would check first to see if Craig will still be doing the remote tuning as he’s stepping back due to personal reasons.

yes the 120 is a beast! 104 hp/140 ft lbs torque- Craig’s got it tuned beautifully

· Rider
1,487 Posts
Wawa stations sell ethanol free gas. The pumps should be labeled for octane.
The few stations that do sell pure gas in my area are mostly 87 octane. 2 about 30 miles away sell pure premium.
With Florida heat that ethanol really isn't a good idea. Like that matters to the federales.

· Silver member
5,909 Posts
I always have,and always will,run high test in any motorcycle I own,unless I need gas really bad and the only thing available is regular.Then,all bets are off because anything is better then pushing it!! ;)
When I switch from 91 to 93 I gain about 30 HP :giggle:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts