Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my OEM Night Dragons for Commander IIs at 8000 miles. They looked like they would go 10000 or so, but the front was cupped on the left side and the tread depth at the bottom of the cups was only .090". Everywhere else including the rear had a couple of thousand to go.

The unusual wear was (and is being) caused by having the rear wheel out of alignment. It also causes the bike to pull right, but just a little. If I line up the swing arm marks, the tracking is perfect, with no pull. And I 'm sure the tires would wear much better. But. The belt scrapes and squeels with this alignment. When I adjust the belt per the manual, it runs quiet and stays off the rails. That puts the alignment marks about .7 of a division out of alignment and the pull to the right returns. Replacing belts is expensive and difficult, so premature tire wear seems to be the prudent choice.

My guess is that the center line of the drive and driven sprockets isn't in alignment. I'm considering getting a LASER alignment tool and looking for a machining adjustment (moving the drive sprocket in, I think) that can get the bike aligned with itself.

Trading for a Challenger might be easier...

A side note: When I got the bike back from the tire mounting, the rear axle was loose. Check any work done by others!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I started a thread awhile back on some sloppy work done by a couple of dealerships, mounting tires and adjusting the drive belt. I came to the same conclusion on the sprocket misalignment being a possible issue. I had an appointment to have the Indian dealership re-do the belt adjustment because they had the belt pushed up against the outside of the rear pulley. I had to cancel the appointment when I couldn't get a ride home so did it myself. I got it off the pulley facing, just a bit but enough, with the right side adjuster per the shop manual. I believe my adjusters were off about .5 but it seems to track OK.

I haven't taken a look at the drive pulley yet and am going to have my machinist/mechanic buddy look at it.

The previous owner had the Night Dragons installed so I've been wondering what kind of mileage I'll be getting out of them. Are those tired Michelin Commander IIs?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started a thread awhile back on some sloppy work done by a couple of dealerships, mounting tires and adjusting the drive belt. I came to the same conclusion on the sprocket misalignment being a possible issue. I had an appointment to have the Indian dealership re-do the belt adjustment because they had the belt pushed up against the outside of the rear pulley. I had to cancel the appointment when I couldn't get a ride home so did it myself. I got it off the pulley facing, just a bit but enough, with the right side adjuster per the shop manual. I believe my adjusters were off about .5 but it seems to track OK.

I haven't taken a look at the drive pulley yet and am going to have my machinist/mechanic buddy look at it.

The previous owner had the Night Dragons installed so I've been wondering what kind of mileage I'll be getting out of them. Are those tired Michelin Commander IIs?
Yep, Michelin Commander IIs. Thus far they seem a little stiffer riding than the Night Dragons, but that may be the increase in load rating (71 -77 I think). They also seem a little better on tar snakes.

I just looked in the manual and there is a spacer that determines the axial position of the drive sprocket on the shaft. If there is enough clearance, sprocket to case, it might be possible to slightly alter the position of the sprocket. First, I need to do some measurements to see if better alignment is required. There is a LASER monkey in my near future.

I live on a mild hill (5%), so coasting in neutral with no hands tests the tracking very effectively. If I use the swing arm marks to align the axle, the bike tracks perfectly.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Got 10,000 on my ND's on my Dyna if get 12 that will be all I run because prefer the grip of them over the Michelin Commander II's although easily get 15,000 on COM II's so just a matter of here your priorities lie .. Only tire that gripped better I've tried was Avon Cobra's but only got 6,000 Miles on the rear and tread was gone.. So overall for my Dyna which is close to the Scouts weight ND's seems to be the best choice in my case anyway

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,967 Posts
Good to know as I think the Pirelli Night Dragon is the OEM tire on my 2019 Scout ABS. So far six days into owning the bike I'm impressed with the handling and the road grip they have.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a little over 15k on my 2018 Scout with ND's. The tread depth on the front is .160 and the rear is .140. Is that considered good?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
At .100" I'm tire shopping. At .090" I change them. If mine went straight, they would have lasted a lot longer.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Good to know as I think the Pirelli Night Dragon is the OEM tire on my 2019 Scout ABS. So far six days into owning the bike I'm impressed with the handling and the road grip they have.
I like them too for the most part. I've drifted the back end a few times in 90 degree turns though. Wider tire on the back could fix that I think. But overall impressive for a stock tire.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep, Michelin Commander IIs. Thus far they seem a little stiffer riding than the Night Dragons, but that may be the increase in load rating (71 -77 I think). They also seem a little better on tar snakes.

I just looked in the manual and there is a spacer that determines the axial position of the drive sprocket on the shaft. If there is enough clearance, sprocket to case, it might be possible to slightly alter the position of the sprocket. First, I need to do some measurements to see if better alignment is required. There is a LASER monkey in my near future.

I live on a mild hill (5%), so coasting in neutral with no hands tests the tracking very effectively. If I use the swing arm marks to align the axle, the bike tracks perfectly.
Please let us know what you find. For my VStrom, I found a trick little tool that mounts on the rear sprocket and a bar that points up the chain. If the wheel alignment is off, the bar will point off center of the chain.

Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool: Automotive

I just looked up "laser monkey" and found the below. It says it's for a chain but I suppose it could also be used on the Scout belt.

Amazon.com: Laser Monkey Chain Alignment Laser Tool, Wheel Alignment by Tru-Tension: Automotive

The Michelin Commander IIs were getting popular with the Triumph Rocket riders because of their longevity. I'm liking my NDs so far though.

Edit: Just ordered the Laser Monkey. I reread the listing and it says "chain/belt". A guy can't have too many cool tools.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts