Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Is this a bad thing if it is true? I am not an expert but if a reflash fixes clacking then wouldn't that mean that the cause would have had to be pinging/detonation? And if so then riding all those miles with a detonation problem has likely done damage to our engines, no?
The reflash has not fixed mine. I'm pretty sure it's not pinging/detonation either, but until I know the cause for sure I won't rule anything out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the reflash done and there is no change on the clacking or anything else(someone posted the decel surge was better).Dealer said the reflash was for misfires only(might be BS).12,000 miles and still F'in Clacking.I think once a Clacker always a Clacker.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hay @Samg , suggest you read @Tom - AMS thread on possible cause of clacking. @Dwarf just ride the piss out of it. If it breaks during warranty, they own it. My 2015 has it. I switched over to AMSOIL full syn developed I/P. No noticeable effect on clack. I'm currently at 6k miles. I'm scheduled for stage II install on Tuesday so I'll report in
So...where's the report? :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones. 1500 miles on my Springfield and no clacking or piston slap. Purrs like a kitten pulls like a team of horses. My only problem is finding time to ride. I also got the recall for ecu reflash in the mail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
PakRat said:
The reflash has not fixed mine. I'm pretty sure it's not pinging/detonation either, but until I know the cause for sure I won't rule anything out.
Sorry to hear, didn't fix your noise. What did the dealer say ?

·
Banned
5,399 Posts
I got the ECU product update done and the piston slap noise it so much quiter.
Interesting that an ECU reflash will magically tighten up inside tolerances causing piston slap. Like tune - up in a can.

Piston slap is the secondary movement of a piston against the side of the cylinder bore, according to Pistonslap.com. This perpendicular moving piston comes into contact with the vertical movement of the cylinder bore, causing the audible noise associated with this phenomenon.

So this Indian reflash is kind of like an engine rebuild then. Pretty cool. Best invention of the century

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are right about an ECM update not being able to fix piston slap...but an ECM update can fix pre detonation knock. 500 plus miles since the update and my 2014 is much quieter. I have to listen very hard to hear the once very loud noise at light load throttle around 2200 rpm. And all of the steady clack under heavier throttle at 2500 + rpm is entirely gone. I did have the oil changed at the same time as the reflash, but hardly think that could be it since it was the 4th oil change in 12000 miles and the noise has been there since day one. Dealer said they used the same oil kit all four times....unless the oil change magically rebuild the motor:)

·
Banned
5,399 Posts
If one truly has piston slap ...............his or her motors won't last real long. How did that term get so twisted? It probably ( the flash ) does fix the detonation. Take a look at piston slap damage on GOOGLE. Those motors either smoke like a mosquito sprayer or have a hard time reaching highway speeds. And do not last long. This was real common on do - it - yourself rebuilders who used a smaller piston instead of what was supposed to be in there. Like .040 over pistons in a .060 bore job

·
Senior member / silver
3,454 Posts
Got my Chieftain reflashed today. Engine is quieter and smoother, and MPG seems to be better also. Still have some noise on acceleration at 2100-2300 rpm but not really noticeable.

·
Registered
892 Posts
7500 miles (ish) and getting worse then. Very sorry for your woes man...not a good vote of confidence for the brand if they're not willing to stand behind it.
I've done some mods since reading this...I've never had a "clack" but had some noise that is now completely gone. New PCV, wrapped OEM pipes with gutted cat and air cleaner. Sounds smooth as silk now.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I forget the brand but pretty much run of the mill header pipe wrap...I went with black

·
Registered
892 Posts
Do you have any pictures handy of what that looks like when finished?
Looks like this prior to install. It accepts the OEM heat shields just fine, so the end result for me looks stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Looks like this prior to install. It accepts the OEM heat shields just fine, so the end result for me looks stock.
Thanks and great to know it'll fit under the shields, saw someone before that put it over the shields...not pretty for sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Couple of you hit the nail right on the head!
It's not piston slap it is pre detonation due to ignition advanced issue. Now Indian and Polaris have put 1 hell of a warranty behind these motors. They are confident there will be no issue and the did dyno run the 111 for a million miles before they ever released one to the public.
With that being said they have this motor to restricted. Forget the digital wrench forget the stock air cleaner forget the stage 1 or stock exhaust it restricts the flow of this motor. The 111 is a caged monster wanting to be freed. Get power commander a cobra
any kind of module that will take control of the ignition timing. Make that chief suck ram air or big sucker ac. And open up that yuppie quiet exhaust way too restrictive. Trust me I did it to my 16 chieftain dark horse and all I can say is ^€÷%#^*#/€^"# what a #/€^#* ride! Top speed 150mph snap off the line that leaves small sport bikes in the dust/ still haven't found a HD (went head to head with 7) that can handle my chiefs jock! No clack no slap just 110 hp 127 fbs tourqe of pure bad ass American muscle . Honestly she'd 150 lbs (fairing bags ext.) And this bike has sport bike writen all over it!

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
And if your too chicken shut to void the warranty or just do want your scoot to go that fast....... turn the radio up and roll cause like I said the manufacturer has put together a solid package together to back up the 111.
AND STOP BITCHING

·
Registered
79 Posts
You are right about an ECM update not being able to fix piston slap...but an ECM update can fix pre detonation knock. 500 plus miles since the update and my 2014 is much quieter. I have to listen very hard to hear the once very loud noise at light load throttle around 2200 rpm. And all of the steady clack under heavier throttle at 2500 + rpm is entirely gone. I did have the oil changed at the same time as the reflash, but hardly think that could be it since it was the 4th oil change in 12000 miles and the noise has been there since day one. Dealer said they used the same oil kit all four times....unless the oil change magically rebuild the motor:)
thank you!!!!
Most if not all of you are not hearing a major oil pump issue ( would be recalled warranty work) not 1 report of oil pump failing, or the piston not being seated right slap.
YOU ARE HEARING A PREDETIONATION, get control of that ignition and watch the magic rebuild. Trust me guys I've used my method on 2 different bikes now a chief classic and a chieftain. not only did the noise go away, the riders 1st words to me both of them was ...."WOW" do to a big jump in power across the band.
I cant wait tell the dig wrench can be replaced by a aftermarket tool........not far away.
eff the dealers and that wrench it tunes these bikes down.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts