Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
I got the ECU product update done and the piston slap noise it so much quiter.
That's interesting. Did you just do the reflash, or did they change the oil as well (or anything else)?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I got the ECU product update done and the piston slap noise it so much quiter.
We will see when mine goes in because the noise in mine gets worse and worse and I am really losing faith in Polaris, as much as I love my Chieftain, if continues to get worse and the dealer does nothing I might just sell it. I guess I have to wait and see.

·
Registered
892 Posts
We will see when mine goes in because the noise in mine gets worse and worse and I am really losing faith in Polaris, as much as I love my Chieftain, if continues to get worse and the dealer does nothing I might just sell it. I guess I have to wait and see.
I have a Springfield with 800 miles on it with no clacking than I can perceive. Worried about its future with all these posts...when did you begin to notice yours wasn't right?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I have a Springfield with 800 miles on it with no clacking than I can perceive. Worried about its future with all these posts...when did you begin to notice yours wasn't right?
The day I bought it in 2014. It has only 12000 kilometers on it and I have changed oil with Indian oil and filter 6 times now. The dealer acknowledges the noise and says that it is louder than most other bikes and Indian would not open a case on it. They keep telling me it is normal and that if I take it to the dealer for work/teardown and they do not determine that there is anything warrant able then I get to pay the bill.. so much for 5 year warranty. don't get me wrong.. I love my Chieftain but hate this noise that gets worse by the day.

·
Registered
892 Posts
7500 miles (ish) and getting worse then. Very sorry for your woes man...not a good vote of confidence for the brand if they're not willing to stand behind it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sure hope that "slap" isn't pre-detonation caused by too much ignition advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 16 springfield. Piston slap started after a 1000 miles . Yes, I am talking about the Ecu recall. Piston slap is when the cylinder bore expands faster than the piston. Piston slaps around in the bore. In my opinion its temperature related. Mine used to happen only when the engine was warm... oh, and the clutch was adjusted at the same time I did the ECU update.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hay @Samg , suggest you read @Tom - AMS thread on possible cause of clacking. @Dwarf just ride the piss out of it. If it breaks during warranty, they own it. My 2015 has it. I switched over to AMSOIL full syn developed I/P. No noticeable effect on clack. I'm currently at 6k miles. I'm scheduled for stage II install on Tuesday so I'll report in
Make sure you get your ECU product update done on your bike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Ghost - Man I can hardly wait. It's a 92 mile ride to Kingman and I'll be listening intently at the noise so that I have a good comparo on the way back. I'm thinking I'll probably need a fuel management system later, but I'll try the Indian set up first. I'll definitely do a "First Impression Thread" when the install is done
America123, when your at the Kingman dealership having the work done on your motorcycle, say hello to our red and ivory Roadmaster that we take possession of on July 23rd. We too are having cams installed and changing the exhaust to a Rush system.
Are you coming from Flagstaff?
Sorry for the thread creep...

·
Founding member
972 Posts
I'm one of the fortunate ones that have a non-clacking TS111 motor. I understand now that trading to a newer Indian would be kind of a roll of the dice unless Polaris has been listening and secretly remedying this with some upgrades or design changes. Until that is verified on future models I'll just keep my 2015 Chieftain.
Sounds like an excellent plan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Polaris="reinie, post: 340339, member: 1083"]I'm one of the fortunate ones that have a non-clacking TS111 motor. I understand now that trading to a newer Indian would be kind of a roll of the dice unless Polaris has been listening and secretly remedying this with some upgrades or design changes. Until that is verified on future models I'll just keep my 2015 Chieftain.[/QUOTE]
Polaris does have a fix for the piston slap noise....

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
My 2016 RM doesn't clack either.

·
Founding member / rider
863 Posts
Check the part numbers of the Connecting Rods of the TS 111 motor, see if the later motors have a different PN. If so, could reinforce the observations that have been made in the very excellent rite up in an earlier thread.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was just about to create a new post for the same topic. My clacking is gone since the new ECM flash. I have a 2014 Chieftain stage 1&2 with 12000+ miles. Took it in for an oil change and ECM flash on Saturday and yes, the clacking is gone. Rode over 200 miles yesterday with no radio needed to drown out the engine noise, just listened to the beautiful purr of that 111 powerhouse. One happy man here. No longer embarrassed to let my Harley riding friends take her for a spin. I too had that light load throttle clack around 2100-2200 rpm then a more steady lesser clack at 2500 up.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I have a 16 springfield. Piston slap started after a 1000 miles . Yes, I am talking about the Ecu recall. Piston slap is when the cylinder bore expands faster than the piston. Piston slaps around in the bore. In my opinion its temperature related. Mine used to happen only when the engine was warm... oh, and the clutch was adjusted at the same time I did the ECU update.
Interesting you mentioned the clutch adjustment, at 1850 miles my tech also noted and adjusted (too tight) clutch cable with when doing the flash as well.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts