Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Scout 60 / Scout owners,

New to the forum. Recently purchased a used 2016 scout 60 and had been to a dealership to change ownership, where the sales manager said that since the bike is still under the factory warranty, they are able to offer an extended service contract coverage. Was quoted $999 for a 7 year (from original sell date) - 2 y + 5 y

Normal pricing is $1699 for a 7yr warranty, but dealer / polaris running a promo special at $999.

Personally, I don't prefer extended warranties / service contract.

But would like to know from Scout 2016 owners, if there have been issues / defects for that year model.
A range of issues on covered parts would definitely prompt me to consider the ESC.

thank you
- rCube

·
Registered
401 Posts
Does it cover the cost of regular scheduled service?
Is it a full and complete extension of the original OEM warranty. Often the extended warranties are watered down.

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,300 Posts
If it's a true extended service and warranty contract for $999.00 and if it's transferable. Provided you do some serious riding then I could justify that cost.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've done it once but wouldn't do it again. I don't hang on to a motorcycle long enough to justify the extended agreement, even though every bike I buy is my last new bike.... RIIIIIGHT!!!! Fortunately I was able to sell back the remainder of the plan.

Paul

·
Registered
231 Posts
I never buy extended warranties for anything. No value to me. YMMV.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Exclusions: Some components, attachments and services are excluded from coverage, normal maintenance and wear items such as tune-ups, tires, batteries, lighting, bushings, brakes, belts, filters and lubricants are not covered. Components damaged/worn as a result of excessive use, impact, or lack of maintenance are not covered. Non-OEM performance accessories and modifications void coverage. See your vehicle extended service contract for a complete list of exclusions and requirements. All required maintenance should be performed using Indian Motorcycle parts, oils and lubricants.

Hope you plan to either keep your bike stock or only upgrade it with OEM accessories.

Extended service plans are a coin flip. They are massive profit for the dealerships / warranty company. No one can tell you if it is a good deal or not as none of us know if your bike will fail after your factory warranty is up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good rule of thumb. If someone is actively trying to sell you something, there is a very good chance you don't actually need it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the responses. And the sales manager was not actively selling it or anything. He happened to mention it and asked me to think about it. Just felt the $180 per year (for 5 years) of ESC seemed reasonable. Shall think about it this before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to mention that I was able to negotiate the price down on the phone, to $900 for 5 full years (bringing it to $180 per year)
Haven't purchased it yet. Will think through. Maybe just buy some accessories and spend on services instead :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts