Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone
let me tell you my story. I live in Mobile AL and was riding my 2015 Vintage motorcycle up to West plains MO to bury my Grandmother. I made it as far as Jonesboro AR when my day changed. I was zipping down the hwy at 75 mph. I was in the right hand lane and approaching a car in the left hand lane. I honked at the car to let them know I was their before I passed them. As I pulled up next to the car I see her look in the rear view mirror and merge right into me. The first second I'm thinking this really can't be happening the next second I see her get closer and I start moving away now she's like 2" away so I move away more. Next thing I know I'm in the grass. I see my path to get back on the hwy about 300 ft ahead. I tried slowing down and I guess I hit a little too much front break becouse next thing I know the the bike is turning sideways and I'm flying thru the air. The last thing I remember thinking was "I guess I wrecked " next thing I know I'm waking up 15 minutes later on the hwy with a dozen people around. I mentioned to a bystander that I got thrown off, but he informed me that the bike rolled 3 times with me on it before skidding to a halt. (here starts the utter incompetence of state of Arkansas) the ambulance arrived and the first thing the ambulance crew do is stand me up. When they noticed I couldn't stand up by myself the say "maybe we need to take you to the hospital" Well dah. you think. At the emergency room they do a CT scan and a x-ray and tell me I have a broken clavicle and very bruised ribs so instead of admitting me they kick me out to a hotel. In and out in of the ER in 30-45 minutes. At the hotel I couldn't lay down due to extreme pain. I slept in a chair for 2 days without being able to move or eat until my sister from South Carolina came to pick me up. The lady that ran me off the road stopped ànd the police officer got her statement " I didn't see him it was my fault I'm so sorry" what the police officer forgot to get was her NAME or INSURANCE information. he did get a drivers license number Still dealing with that piece of incompetents a month later I finally have a name but still no insurance info. For what the wreck was I came out smelling like a rose. Now at home waiting for my bike to get fixed.

·
Rider
313 Posts
Get a lawyer! You don't know what the long term effects of the accident will be. Also if pressure applied to the police somebody has that information either a dash cam of the plate or they called it in. They ALWAYS call in both plates checking for open warrants. If not then that cop needs to pay for their negligence.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
Glad you are ok. But ya gotta love the Arkansas law enforcement. Bigger cities are ok, small towns not so much. Here you only have to have a high school education and you can be on the job for 9 months before you are required to get to the academy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Prayers for a quick recovery and a "new" Vintage.
Quote came in at $14,903. 93 dollars short of totaled value of $15,000 so it will be a rebuilt bike but at least I'm getting louder pipes which was a contributing factor to the wreck.. You got to love state farm

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Wow, sorry you had any injuries at all and sorry about your scooter. Even though you try to be seen they don't even see a yellow school bus. Speedy recovery
I think you should appeal that quote, they came that close to totaling it ,maybe your shop can find some more to fix, and what about later when the problems creep in?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Damn, shit, f----.... you made it though. Sorry to hear. I agree, you need to get a attorney. Cop made someone's else mistake into his mistake.

Hope for a total speedy recovery.

·
Founding member
678 Posts
Hi everyone
let me tell you my story. I live in Mobile AL and was riding my 2015 Vintage motorcycle up to West plains MO to bury my Grandmother. I made it as far as Jonesboro AR when my day changed. I was zipping down the hwy at 75 mph. I was in the right hand lane and approaching a car in the left hand lane. I honked at the car to let them know I was their before I passed them. As I pulled up next to the car I see her look in the rear view mirror and merge right into me. The first second I'm thinking this really can't be happening the next second I see her get closer and I start moving away now she's like 2" away so I move away more. Next thing I know I'm in the grass. I see my path to get back on the hwy about 300 ft ahead. I tried slowing down and I guess I hit a little too much front break becouse next thing I know the the bike is turning sideways and I'm flying thru the air. The last thing I remember thinking was "I guess I wrecked " next thing I know I'm waking up 15 minutes later on the hwy with a dozen people around. I mentioned to a bystander that I got thrown off, but he informed me that the bike rolled 3 times with me on it before skidding to a halt. (here starts the utter incompetence of state of Arkansas) the ambulance arrived and the first thing the ambulance crew do is stand me up. When they noticed I couldn't stand up by myself the say "maybe we need to take you to the hospital" Well dah. you think. At the emergency room they do a CT scan and a x-ray and tell me I have a broken clavicle and very bruised ribs so i stead of admitting me they kick me out to a hotel. in and out in 30-45 minutes. At the hotel I couldn't lay down due to extreme pain. I slept in a chair for 2 days without being able to move or eat until my sister from South Carolina came to pick me up. The lady that ran me off the road stopped ànd the police officer got her statement " I didn't see him it was my fault I'm so sorry" what the police officer forgot to get was her NAME or INSURANCE information. Still dealing with that piece of incompetents. For what the wreck was I came out smelling like a rose. Now at home waiting for my bike to get fixed.
You are a lucky man. Sorry this happened to you. Heal well.
TC

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
on hind site the contributing factors in the wreck were as follows. 1. I was doing 75 in a 65 mph hwy so I was going 10 miles faster than the car I passed so hitting the breaks I would have gotten pegged. 2. From the school of hard knocks I learned it's better not to pass on the right. 3. She didn't hear me, she heard me honk but not the stock pipes. there so quiet they'll sneak up on a vespa. 4. WEAR A HELMET mine has a big Crack on the side where my head hit the pavment that we'll could have been what saved my life. 5. when in grass at high speed don't use breaks just let off the throttle to slow down. #6. As Scotty pointed out when she was in the left hand lane honking at her caused her to merge right. Thank you for that observation

·
Registered
150 Posts
Glad you are not more seriously injured, I agree with others on here, get an attorney, also, have the mechanic go over the bike with you, you point out all the damage you see, he points out all the damage he sees then the two of you sit down and make a list of the things needing fixing and replacing, $93 is pretty easy to spend on these bikes.......

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,205 Posts
Quote came in at $14,903. 93 dollars short of totaled value of $15,000 so it will be a rebuilt bike but at least I'm getting louder pipes which was a contributing factor to the wreck.. You got to love state farm
Holy shit dude, you go through all that, and the insurance company doesn't total the bike? Wow, could you offer them $100 to total it?
So your stuck with the bike, possibly long term injuries all because some dumb ass doesn't check before changing lanes. Wow! You have an enormous capability of seeing the bright side of things. I want to be more like you for sure.

Reactions: EBRAZ96

·
Registered
459 Posts
on hind site the contributing factors in the wreck were as follows. 1. I was doing 75 in a 65 mph hwy so I was going 10 miles faster than the car I passed so hitting the breaks I would have gotten pegged. 2. From the school of hard knocks I learned it's better not to pass on the right. 3. She didn't hear me, she heard me honk but not the stock pipes. there so quiet they'll sneak up on a vespa. 4. WEAR A HELMET mine has a big Crack on the side where my head hit the pavment that we'll could have been what saved my life. 5. when in grass at high speed don't use breaks just let off the throttle to slow down.
WHAT, it wasn't the bikes fault!!!!!! My God, a open (here was my mistake) .....

You my friend, I'd be glad to have a beer with.

But I don't want to ride with you!!!! Just kidding..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wreck happen Nov. 10 so I've had my surgery on my collar bone and am well into recovery. Going to phical therapy to get my right shoulder working properly. I've even been out riding "Half breed" my other bike. You.
got to get back on the horse that bucked you off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHAT, it wasn't the bikes fault!!!!!! My God, a open (here was my mistake) .....

You my friend, I'd be glad to have a beer with.

But I don't want to ride with you!!!! Just kidding..
you got to learn from your mistakes. And if you can learn from the mistakes of others that's even better.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts