Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2017 Roadmaster today. It comes with a 2 year warranty. They are offering me an additional 4 years at $1450 (25% discount if I buy prior to taking possession). I have never been one to buy additional insurance, ie appliances. His was not pushy, but his argument was with all the electronics today, it is probably a good idea, especially if you think you will keep it, which I think I will. I am leaning towards buying it. The new brand is only ~ 4 years old. Has anyone had any problems? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There's been previous discussion on this topic. It's a personal decision to buy or not but they are offering a hefty discount on the price. My opinion is usually not to buy one but given what I've been reading about the problems with that model you might want to buy for peace of mind. BOL I love my Vintage preferring the fringe over the bells and whistles.

·
Rider
1,146 Posts
My two year warranty is just about up, and I'm going to buy the additional three years. You are getting a pretty good price.

--
Gordon

·
Rider
548 Posts
I bought a 2017 Roadmaster today. It comes with a 2 year warranty. They are offering me an additional 4 years at $1450 (25% discount if I buy prior to taking possession). I have never been one to buy additional insurance, ie appliances. His was not pushy, but his argument was with all the electronics today, it is probably a good idea, especially if you think you will keep it, which I think I will. I am leaning towards buying it. The new brand is only ~ 4 years old. Has anyone had any problems? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I don't normally buy those extended warranties, but if you're considering buying one read EXACTLY what they cover before you make a decision. Often times those programs are full of disclaimers, non-covered parts (normally the really expensive items), excluded systems, etc. and the little brochures they give you can be vague.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't normally buy those extended warranties, but if you're considering buying one read EXACTLY what they cover before you make a decision. Often times those programs are full of disclaimers, non-covered parts (normally the really expensive items), excluded systems, etc. and the little brochures they give you can be vague.
More importantly ask exactly what it does not cover as you may miss somethings

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going for it next year, but only if it covers electronics.. That is my major concerns, mainly because that has been my only, slight, problems so far..

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
mine covered the replacement of the VCU

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Short answer, if you're going to keep the bike and not make performance modifications you should consider the purchase. Also, make sure it's the Polaris service contract, the aftermarkets don't provide as good of coverage and if a situation comes up, Polaris is more apt to "goodwill" things for you.

What is the service contract start date, is it 4 years from date of purchase or does coverage truly start after the 2 year factory warranty expires? If I were a betting man I'd say the service contract start date is the date you purchase the bike, make sure you see the expiration date and mileage before you sign.

If you'd like reading material here, the search box on the top right of the page, type in extended warranty or service contract and you'll see pages of discussion. Make sure you un-check the "search this forum only" box to get a full return on all discussions across the entire board here.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will probably forgo the extended warranty at this time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I will probably forgo the extended warranty at this time.
I did.

Only because, in MY experience, every single time I ever tried to use one of those extended warranties (in the extended warranty period), they always made all kinds of excuses to NOT honor the extended warranty. Not once has one of those ever worked out in my favor, so I stopped using them long ago. Too many times I was left holding the bag. But that's just me and my experience.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did.

Only because, in MY experience, every single time I ever tried to use one of those extended warranties (in the extended warranty period), they always made all kinds of excuses to NOT honor the extended warranty. Not once has one of those ever worked out in my favor, so I stopped using them long ago. Too many times I was left holding the bag. But that's just me and my experience.
Can you give me an example, I think it would be clear cut per the documents. I know the dealer is getting a commission on this ~ 10%.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Can you give me an example, I think it would be clear cut per the documents. I know the dealer is getting a commission on this ~ 10%.
No, I cant give you an example. It's been many, many years (see where I said "so I stopped using them long ago"?) since I got bought an extended warranty. Can't remember what they were for and I don't have the folders anymore to look any of it up. I have not ever bought an Indian extended warranty. I was talking about them in general.

In MY (capitalized for stress here...as above) experience, they have been useless and somewhat frustrating for ME. I'm sure they work fine for some people...and may have even saved some from a serious problem after the standard warranty expired. That has never happened for me, so I don't buy them anymore...for anything (and they seem to be offered for just about everything now). I also realize the dealers get a commission on these...I think it's pretty much common knowledge honestly. That's why they push them so hard. I had to tell my sales guy "No" 3 times before he finally stopped pushing it.

·
KHAOS
2019 Pearl White & Star Silver Roadmaster
535 Posts
I bought a 3 year extensions and the bike is still under it. I think with all the problems I have had it is a damn good idea but dont think it solves everything it is limited and they must have code in order for them to honor the warranty. Make sure you understand how the original and extended warranties are different. Check entry in this forum for Loose Battery Connection. I will give you some insight.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,677 Posts
I know dealers and others call this an “extended warranty” but this is actually misleading. What you are buying an extended service plan. As CenCal stated read the fine print. Cosmetic issues most likely not part of this plan. Chrome, paint, and leather issues are examples of these types of issues. Also any mods will have to be dealer installed in most cases. These plans can be good insurance and piece of mind but do understand, these plans are offered for only one reason. These plans make MONEY! Honestly any issues you can experience on your bike will rear up within the first two years in most cases. If purchasing this plan helps you sleep better at night or ease your concerns on spending this amount of money on a big bike like this then consider it money well spent. Dean

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I bought a 3 year extensions and the bike is still under it. I think with all the problems I have had it is a damn good idea but dont think it solves everything it is limited and they must have code in order for them to honor the warranty. Make sure you understand how the original and extended warranties are different. Check entry in this forum for Loose Battery Connection. I will give you some insight.
Thanks for the heads up on the battery cable and tender. Any recommendations on a tender? I just bought a 2017, so I will take a look at the battery. My problem is I am 200 miles from the nearest dealer, so I would not like to run up there for every problem. I will have to become an expert on this bike. I am the extended warranty.

On the original quote: $1995 to extend warranty 4 years; "I declined"
When I signed the papers: $1450 to extend warranty 4 years, 10% commission to dealer; "I will think about it prior to taking delivery in five days."

So it seems they are trying to entice me to purchase.

·
Bronze member
3,164 Posts
i bought it but can only be used at the dealer you purchased the bike from. so i paid for nothing as i work far from the dealer and they are always booked up when i call.i do it my self and pay them as well,damn im lucky

·
Bronze member
1,764 Posts
Many have already stated some good info
First. The warranties do make dealers money. Not necessarily because they’re a bad warranty but many people trade up before using them
Secondly much depends on your financial situation
I for one love it when I buy say a $40 item and they want to sell me a $30 warranty, what!!!

But that said. I have a 2017 RM ICON and a 2018 CVO Road Glide and the wife a new Scout
With those. I did buy warranties mostly due to the fact Many of these bikes and any vehicle for that matter have big ticket items that can fail at any time

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many have already stated some good info
First. The warranties do make dealers money. Not necessarily because they’re a bad warranty but many people trade up before using them
Secondly much depends on your financial situation
I for one love it when I buy say a $40 item and they want to sell me a $30 warranty, what!!!

But that said. I have a 2017 RM ICON and a 2018 CVO Road Glide and the wife a new Scout
With those. I did buy warranties mostly due to the fact Many of these bikes and any vehicle for that matter have big ticket items that can fail at any time
Any problems with the 2017 RM?

·
Bronze member
1,764 Posts
I’ve had none. But I’ve only owned it a year and don’t get to ride as many miles as I’d like. Have around 5000 on it now but I have the two bikes I ride and switch off

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the battery cable and tender. Any recommendations on a tender? I just bought a 2017, so I will take a look at the battery. My problem is I am 200 miles from the nearest dealer, so I would not like to run up there for every problem. I will have to become an expert on this bike. I am the extended warranty.

On the original quote: $1995 to extend warranty 4 years; "I declined"
When I signed the papers: $1450 to extend warranty 4 years, 10% commission to dealer; "I will think about it prior to taking delivery in five days."

So it seems they are trying to entice me to purchase.
I received my warranty extension paperwork in the mail a few months ago. I’m going to wait until the original 2 year warranty is about to expire before I decide. I have a 5 year loan so I will only buy an extra 3 if I decide to do it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts