Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious how many members run a full 6 quarts of oil in there 5.5 quart 111? (pre -3/2019) And if you do what are the positives and any negatives you have noted from running 6 quarts of oil in the 5.5 quart engine. I know what the manual says, I do change my own oil (5.5 quarts of Amsol, 2018 Chieftain) and I know how to check my oil level. I'm just genuinely curious, I mean there must be a reason that Indian switched to 6 quarts other than convenience right???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sometimes it's as simple as new oil pump that takes up less volume.
In the case of Indian, i'm not sure but i would be surprised if it was just for convenience.

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
I'm just curious how many members run a full 6 quarts of oil in there 5.5 quart 111? (pre -3/2019) And if you do what are the positives and any negatives you have noted from running 6 quarts of oil in the 5.5 quart engine. I know what the manual says, I do change my own oil (5.5 quarts of Amsol, 2018 Chieftain) and I know how to check my oil level. I'm just genuinely curious, I mean there must be a reason that Indian switched to 6 quarts other than convenience right???
The 2019 and later use a different block casting that increased the oil capacity slightly.

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,240 Posts
You put a full 6 QTs in a 111 and you will have oil in your air filter from the crank case. No ifs ands or buts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You put a full 6 QTs in a 111 and you will have oil in your air filter from the crank case. No ifs ands or buts
Have you done it and had that happen or are you just speculatin?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,240 Posts

The dealer that performed my first oil change at 1000 miles did not drain the oil completely in my chieftain. Added the 5.5 quarts and I had oil coming out of my new air filter.
The last 3 oil changes I have done with the Indian 111 kit, there has been no oil in my air filter since that first oil change. So, I call that first hand knowledge.

Reactions: Super Jute

·
Registered
75 Posts

Did my first oil change on 111 thunderstroke with the oil change kit @5.5 qts. It did not reach the stop fill line, short 1.5 “. Added 0.5 qts for 6.0 total...it’s now between the recommended level with the bike upright and level off of the kickstand . Washed and cleaned the high flow stage 1 filter as well. Will report back if any issues....

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
Did my first oil change on 111 thunderstroke with the oil change kit @5.5 qts. It did not reach the stop fill line, short 1.5 “. Added 0.5 qts for 6.0 total...it’s now between the recommended level with the bike upright and level off of the kickstand . Washed and cleaned the high flow stage 1 filter as well. Will report back if any issues....
2019 and newer takes 6 qts. 111 or 116 doesn’t matter, same engine case.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer that performed my first oil change at 1000 miles did not drain the oil completely in my chieftain. Added the 5.5 quarts and I had oil coming out of my new air filter.
The last 3 oil changes I have done with the Indian 111 kit, there has been no oil in my air filter since that first oil change. So, I call that first hand knowledge.
Perfect, real world info, thank you...

·
King of the nuts
258 Posts

“The engine oil and filter change procedure for Indian Motorcycle 111/116 models varies based on engine build date. Your Indian Springfield, Chief, Chieftain or Roadmaster has either a 5.5 quart or 6.0 quart engine.

Vehicles built before February 2019 are equipped with 5.5 quart engines. These motorcycles have shorter dipsticks. When installed, they show a silver ring on the crankcase, as shown below.”

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts

“The engine oil and filter change procedure for Indian Motorcycle 111/116 models varies based on engine build date. Your Indian Springfield, Chief, Chieftain or Roadmaster has either a 5.5 quart or 6.0 quart engine.

Vehicles built before February 2019 are equipped with 5.5 quart engines. These motorcycles have shorter dipsticks. When installed, they show a silver ring on the crankcase, as shown below.”
An easy way to tell the difference is the 5.5 quart engines have the dipstick that requires the plastic tool to loosen it. The 6.0 quart engines use a completely different dipstick that is not interchangeable. The diameter of the threaded filler hole is smaller.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
On my 2014, 5.5 qts will cause a lot of oil pushed into the air filter if I ride hard, which I usually do. I only put in 4.5 qts when I change the oil and don't have that issue. I also get within a few ounces of that when I drain it, measured every time. Next oil change will be 130,000 miles, all with Indian oil change kits, semi synthetic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
An easy way to tell the difference is the 5.5 quart engines have the dipstick that requires the plastic tool to loosen it. The 6.0 quart engines use a completely different dipstick that is not interchangeable. The diameter of the threaded filler hole is smaller.
yes, here’s the comparisons....
For the 5.5 qt, silver ring!

for the 6.0, black around the dip stick

·
Bronze member
1,240 Posts

·
Rider
1,233 Posts
I use 5.5 quarts in my 2016 Chieftain because thats what the Owners Manual specifies. Never any problems, putting in more oil than it's capacity is never good to do

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Larry S

·
Vendor / bronze
3,024 Posts
I can give you two real world examples. My bike is a 2016 Springfield and my buddies was a 2017 Chieftain. We both changed our own oil. Because the dipstick is difficult to use I put 6. 5 quarts in mine and my buddy put 8 quarts in his. They both ran fine and no oil in the filter. The blow by tube was connected on both. After two months we changed the oil and put 5.5 quarts back in just to be safe. The older bikes seem to have plenty of room for extra oil. However, it is best to drain and put the recommended amount back in. Forget the dipstick. I know some have no trouble with the dipstick but some bikes just don't read correctly no matter what procedure is used.

·
Rider
1,212 Posts
I have changed my own oil on my '16 Roadmaster since day one. I buy the Indian Kits with 5.5 qts. Haven't checked my oil in 62,000 kms. Never worry about it.

--
Gordon

·
Bronze member
4,870 Posts
In 2018 Indian got rid of the dipsticks that required the tool, so having the non tool dipstick does not mean you have a 6 quart engine.

·
Bronze member
2,586 Posts
In 2018 Indian got rid of the dipsticks that required the tool, so having the non tool dipstick does not mean you have a 6 quart engine.
Well if that’s true then they produced a one year run of specific dipsticks. Because the 2019 and later 6 qt. cases have a different diameter oil fill hole.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts