Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It’s time to find decent replacement for my 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE. The main reason for this decision is because this motorcycle is simply too small for me. I had two brands on my shortlist - HD and Indian. My choice is the latest, don’t ask why ?. I am 194 cm or 6’4” tall and I’m wondering if Scout would ever fit me. I’d prefer it over Chief as I do not go for long trips, usually day trips outside the city - 100 miles tops. I checked my dimension at cycle-ergo.com against 2014 Chief Classic and 2015 Scout and the results seems a bit awkward for me - Scout has knee and hip angles 112 and 71 respectivaly while bigger Chief has 92 and 68. While hip angles are alike, knee angle is far better in case of smaller Scout. Handlebars looks more confy on Chief but Scout seems to be much better for long legged riders than its bigger sibling. Any advice for me?

Kal800

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm 6' 1" and the Scout is a good fit for me with the standard bars/seat and floorboards. But I agree with the other responders here - you've got to throw a leg over both and see what fits YOU. Some people have more length in their lower half, others it is more from the waist up. So get on them all and see what fits.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 2014 Chief Vintage. I had to install the Aeromach footboard lowering adapters to make it fit. The only bike which ever really fit me was my Victory Vision that I regret selling everyday. For me how high my knee is above or below the seat determines how much weight is on my butt. I think the Scout actually feels roomier than the Chief. You must ride the bikes first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 6'2" with a 2014 Chief Vintage. I had to install the Aeromach footboard lowering adapters to make it fit. The only bike which ever really fit me was my Victory Vision that I regret selling everyday. For me how high my knee is above or below the seat determines how much weight is on my butt. I think the Scout actually feels roomier than the Chief. You must ride the bikes first.
Great point. On my Shadow my knees are above the seat to such an extent that I am unable to move handlebars port or starboard and my butt hurts after two hours ride. Yeah I know that I have to try them, but it is not as easy here as in the US - I have one Indian dealer in my town out of four countrywise and they won’t give me a bike for more than an hour, that’s why I’m trying to get as much info I can before the test rides...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m 6’2” and I am quite comfortable on my Scout. As an American, I would warn you that there is a cultural bias in this country around the larger the bike , the more manly. I have several vertically challenged friends that would never get on a Scout even though they would require a step stool.

·
Senior member / rider
1,304 Posts
Nice thing about the Scout is the availability of extended reach bars, pegs and seat. I’m 5’11” and my hips feel cramped on the Indian baggers. The Scout allows you to stretch out.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I had a Scout and moved to a Springfield. The Scout had my feet out further to the front than the bigger bike, which was something of a surprise. I had a bad knee injury many years ago and it sometimes gets painful on the bigger bike from being more bent, but never did that on the Scout.

On the Springfield my knees are much more angled but I have the option to move my feet around a bit where the Scout's pegs don't allow much movement. I tried boards on the Scout but they scraped too easily and I went back to pegs.

My feet on the Scout would sometimes be blown off the peg at speed if I wasn't paying attention. That's not a problem with the boards on the big bike. I also found that pushing hard into corners on the Scout could see my heel scrape the road (one time got pushed off the peg mid-corner) but the Scout asked for faster cornering than the big bike.

I also had mini apes and 1920 Solo Saddle on the Scout, which changed the position from stock but the whole setup was very comfortable.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I've read the 'bear on a bicycle' experience that some people write about, and note that you start the thread with the comment that your bike is too small.

There is probably a difference in feeling the bike itself is too small as opposed to leg length to the pegs. The Scout has nothing much in front of the rider as the tank and speedo are very low, so the experience is that the bike has less substance. I came from a Kawasaki Versys 650 to the Scout and it felt much smaller than the Kawasaki because of that.

If I had 100 mile max I'd go with the Scout. The bigger bike is my preference for touring, loaded up for a two week trip.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Great point. On my Shadow my knees are above the seat to such an extent that I am unable to move handlebars port or starboard and my butt hurts after two hours ride. Yeah I know that I have to try them, but it is not as easy here as in the US - I have one Indian dealer in my town out of four countrywise and they won’t give me a bike for more than an hour, that’s why I’m trying to get as much info I can before the test rides...
Understand the frustration of limited demo/test ride opportunities. But as you can see, opinions on this topic are all over the place as to what “fits.” Sounds like you’re going to have to put in some time/effort into checking the choices out (test rides), and maybe expanding your options (FTR...?).

I’m sure it will be a royal PITA, but far less so than getting the wrong bike. Every single time you ride, you’re going to be reminded of the correctness of your choice.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can always have extended controls and seat on the Scout if you choose . Like everyone had said , throw a leg on everything . You may be surprised on a bike you may not have even considered ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
I would give you three options. The Chief, or the Chief or maybe the Chief. If you buy the Scout I would easily see within a year you wanting to upgrade to the Chief. You simply would have no room on the Scout even with all the mods you would need to make you fit. I'm 6'4" and sitting on a Scout would feel like sitting on a moped with my size. Not wanting to start any arguments here but it would be hard to beat the looks of the classic Chief. It just screams INDIAN. Dean

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,242 Posts
I'm 5 foot eleven with 32 inch inseam (short torso & long legs). My age of 66 years
20191028_160249_HDR.jpg
probably plays into the mods I had to make to my 2019 Scout. I had the extended reach foot control kit and the floorboards installed as well as the 10 inch mini ape handlebars. The stock seat sucked so I replaced it with a Corbin solo. I'm also spoiled to have a good windshield and I didn't like the looks of the Indian one for the Scout. I went with the National Cycle Two-up Switchblade windshield and I'm happy with that.

·
Rider
747 Posts
Everybody is different. What works for one doesn't work for another. I am also 6'4" and would like a Scout for a second bike, but just feel way to cramped up on that bike. I have a Springfield and feel really relaxed on it. It also doesn't feel like a large bike when in motion. The rake and trail on the Springfield make it a very flickable, tight turning bike. I believe that some of the other full size 2019 and newer Indians now have the same fork geometries as the Springfield which is a good thing. Just ride them all and buy what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hi,

It’s time to find decent replacement for my 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE. The main reason for this decision is because this motorcycle is simply too small for me. I had two brands on my shortlist - HD and Indian. My choice is the latest, don’t ask why . I am 194 cm or 6’4” tall and I’m wondering if Scout would ever fit me. I’d prefer it over Chief as I do not go for long trips, usually day trips outside the city - 100 miles tops. I checked my dimension at cycle-ergo.com against 2014 Chief Classic and 2015 Scout and the results seems a bit awkward for me - Scout has knee and hip angles 112 and 71 respectivaly while bigger Chief has 92 and 68. While hip angles are alike, knee angle is far better in case of smaller Scout. Handlebars looks more confy on Chief but Scout seems to be much better for long legged riders than its bigger sibling. Any advice for me?

Kal800
Just be sure when you compare you factor in the extended reach pegs, seat, and maybe bars. It will be hard to demo them.

FWIW I’m comfortable in my scout, as well as a chief or chieftain. The ergos don’t seem all that much bigger.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts