Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they are saying that the 558 cams need to run the high lift springs now do to some failures, but how many are out there without them and are there any signs to look for before they go to hell? I know for a fact that my 18 has the 558 cams with the stock springs in it and really not wanting it to be down.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You could send oil sample to an analysis lab to monitor for wear metals from the spring seat/ stem seal. Or just schedule it in, it's not a real big job. Most guys could do it in a shift.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,623 Posts
I am almost finishing my project and I can say that the valve spring swap is not all that bad of a job. Worth the piece of mind in my opinion. If you are mechanically inclined and just swapping springs, it can be done in a day easily.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am almost finishing my project and I can say that the valve spring swap is not all that bad of a job. Worth the piece of mind in my opinion. If you are mechanically inclined and just swapping springs, it can be done in a day easily.

How far down does the bike have to be taken apart? Just pull the tank and valve covers?

·
Bronze member
1,623 Posts
Nope. It goes much further than that.

I will be working up my checklist in the future.

·
Registered
896 Posts
How far down does the bike have to be taken apart? Just pull the tank and valve covers?
Well, yes...
But to pull the valve covers the engine needs to roll forward a bit. I just left the lower rear mounting bolts in place and let the front come down. A few non obvious things come to mind that need to be addressed, remove abs module mount bolts and remove front battery box bolts, being the main ones that aren't visible. The rest is pretty straight forward.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know they are saying that the 558 cams need to run the high lift springs now do to some failures, but how many are out there without them and are there any signs to look for before they go to hell? I know for a fact that my 18 has the 558 cams with the stock springs in it and really not wanting it to be down.
There are a lot of 'profits of doom' on this forum. I really don't think the 558's have much more lift than stock cams, at least not from the springs point of view. Personally, I think I would just ride on.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I’ve been running 558 cams with stock springs for about 15,000 miles so far with no issue.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
There are a lot of 'profits of doom' on this forum. I really don't think the 558's have much more lift than stock cams, at least not from the springs point of view. Personally, I think I would just ride on.
@RACNRAY did some testing on this. Here is a copy and paste below. You are practically at the same lift between the 558 and the 585s. Just more duration with the 585s. Running the stock valves could destroy the valve spring seats. About as high as you can go on the stock springs is stage 2 which has the same lift as stock but more duration. Do what you want but with the history on this I believe you are on borrowed time with stock springs. Dean

"Got the 558's profiled and are on their way back to @TinIndian.

Having the opportunity to profile TS111 cams has been enlightening.
The 558 moniker is just a PART NUMBER and DOES NOT indicate valve lift. Matter of fact the 558's have virtually the SAME lift as the STG3's at about .590" and about .014" less then the 585's.

The intake opening profile is not quite as aggressive as the STG3's and are virtually the same as the STG2's up to about .200" cam lift where the 558's increase lift rate over the STG2's. It is AFTER max lift and on the closing side of the lobe where the 558's are very similar to the 585's as the valves are held at a higher lift in comparison to the STG3's which is closing the valves quicker.

The 558's definitely have a MUCH gentler closing ramp compared to the 585's but not quite as gentle as the STG3's. As a comparison at 40 degrees of cam rotation from ZERO lift (valve closed on the seat) the STG3 is at .014", the 558's are .038" and the 585 is at .190" .

On the ex cam it matches STG3 AND 585 lift up to about .100" lift then actually opens the valve faster up to max lift. On the closing side the 558 closes the valve quicker than the other yet does have a gentler closing ramp as compared to the 585 but not as gentle as the STG3.

The profile of the lobes definitely affects power output but what CAN'T be seen here is valve timing, LCA and overlap. From dyno charts there is a clear difference in power output and curve between the 585 and 558's, so these other factors have to be considered. I wish I had taken the time to degree my STG3 cams when I did the spring swap!

I can see these cams are less aggressive than the STG3/585's but more aggressive than STG2's, but with that aggressiveness and comparable max lift hi-lift springs would not be a bad idea.

RACNRAY"

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
Deleted copy.

·
Bronze member
1,730 Posts
I’ve been running 558 cams with stock springs for about 15,000 miles so far with no issue.
U R on borrowed time, and lucky u have not broken a spring yet. As YOU said..."so far no issue"! BTW...Lloyd has recommended to use the Indian hi-lift springs with BOTH of his cams.

RACNRAY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts